Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 Jun 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1631278)   #1
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting Allmendinger in the IRL

I believe it would be a good move if the Indy racing league could obtain the services of A.J. Allmendinger. He is a fast, young and American. Furthermore all the IRL races but one is held in the US, so it makes sense to market people of that nationality.

Which makes the behavior of the champ car series all the more strange. You hold the majority of your races in the United States and don't employ the services of an American driver? If you had a similar series with the majority of their races held in say Germany, and no German drivers were involved, you would probably get the same outcome. Total lack of interest in that country hosting most of the events.

If Champ car continues to make similar moves there will be no need for Tony George's IRL to seek unification. Champ car will just wilt away due to the breathtaking stupidity of its decision makers.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1631360)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope Allmendinger finds another Champ Car ride, but if he doesn't I think it's more likely he'll end up in NASCAR rather than IndyCar given the rumours that floated around two months ago.

Assuming he does find another ride and doesn't end up like Ryan Hunter-Reay, that is.
Old 10 Jun 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1631375)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well lets not turn this into a "Champcar screwed up thread" because there is obviously more to the decision than we know about.

as for getting AJ into the Indycar series , I dont even know if he is interested , at the end of the day he is a racer and if a deal was offered then Im sure he would look at it and make the best decision for himself.

It would be good to see him have a go but i think rustyfan is right and its nascar time for him
Old 11 Jun 2006, 03:18 (Ref:1631441)   #4
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tough time for a race driver to lose his job, right in the middle of the season. Looking at the premier teams in NA open wheel racing which might have a seat for AJ next year does offer a little hope.

Marlboro Team Penske - no, Target Chip Ganassi - no, Andretti Green racing -maybe replacing Bryan Herta, Newman Hass - Doubtful, Rahal Letterman - maybe replacing Jeff Simmons in the ethanol car.

So there is a possible opportunity with Rahal Letterman or Andretti Green next year in the IRL.

Fingers crossed.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1631482)   #5
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I totally agree this could be a major blow to CC -- but -- the reality is that each individual team has a right to try and get the best drivers they can -- If there are no Americans right now in champ car then you have to assume that there are no Americans that deserve to be in champ car -- I just wonder if this isn't going to backfire on Rusport though - sure Di Matta won in CC but he was with the top team when he did it -- then he flunked out of F1. A J is talented and aggresive, and if he does get a chance with a good team he may prove to be stronger than Di Matta in my opinion.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1631510)   #6
OpenWheel4ever
Racer

European Union
OpenWheel4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
If Champ car continues to make similar moves there will be no need for Tony George's IRL to seek unification. Champ car will just wilt away due to the breathtaking stupidity of its decision makers.
I'm a big fan of Champ Car, and I hope they will keep AJ! They need him...
Sometimes, KK and others did so many bad moves, like to let go Briscoe, Montagny and so many...Hope the things will be good to keep AJA.

And in the IndyCar, there are so many great American talents, like Hornish, Patrick, Sharp...
Old 11 Jun 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1631566)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The exact reasons for AJ being axed aren't clear, but there was some internal trouble in the team, and if they felt they couldn't work together, then staying together for the sake of the series was never a good idea.

Even if oyu think of ChampCar as a North American series, they still don't have enough local drivers. Nobody has a problem with talented drivers from elsewhere being involved, but to attract new fans you do need some local figures people can identify with.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1631640)   #8
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are some seats that might be available in the IRL, but I doubt Allmendinger really wants to go there. He has never had much good to say about oval racing.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1631679)   #9
Dennis H.
Rookie

United States
Noblesville, Indiana
Dennis H. has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
There are some seats that might be available in the IRL, but I doubt Allmendinger really wants to go there. He has never had much good to say about oval racing.
that is true but the rumor running around Indy is that he has already been contacted by a few Indycar teams and is apparently listening.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:50 (Ref:1631768)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1

Which makes the behavior of the champ car series all the more strange.
As has been mentioned, it was a Carl Russo move not a ChampCar one. I think will see AJ wind up in the field again.

Interested to know outside of Tony George how many teams have the potential to add an extra car?
Old 11 Jun 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1631785)   #11
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ganassi.....rumors about a second car with Cheever.....Hemelgarn with Chesson gone.....some with one-offs at Indy which might be able to package something up.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1631881)   #12
ems
Rookie

ems should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My bet is that AJ will be picked up in ChampCar and replace another less talented driver. Potentially Mario D. There are other candidates as well.
IRL is not likely at all; NASCAR is not feasible at this point either, even less so.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1631914)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems
NASCAR is not feasible at this point either, even less so.
If - and that's a big if - Allmendinger indeed is a potential candidate for one of the Team Red Bull rides it could be quite possible he would make the move early. TRB is starting to get their program together, and they will enter Bill Elliott in several races later this season to gather experience from race weekends. Bringing in Allmendinger early would allow them to enter him in a few races too, as well as let him start testing etc to prepare for next season.

That is, if there is any truth to the earlier rumours of course.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 00:53 (Ref:1632037)   #14
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest as A champ car fan I would rather see AJ in the IRL, I feel he has more of a future there. As of lately I have been really impressed by IRL races specially the race at the glen action all the way. I hope the IRL add more road courses and I do mean road courses and not street races to its schedule.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 02:53 (Ref:1632067)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
rumors about a second car with Cheever.....Hemelgarn with Chesson gone.....some with one-offs at Indy which might be able to package something up.
If those would be the options, he would be better off with DCR.

I am thinking PKV in a 3rd car is most likely at the moment.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 03:13 (Ref:1632071)   #16
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i heard that AJ will be replacing Mario Dominguez at Forsythe racing and that Mario will be going to Dale Coyne racing.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 03:36 (Ref:1632081)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder if Ganassi wouldn't be interested in AJ given all of the rumour floating around. I don't think Rahal is inconceivable either.

AJ needs some direction, I suspect the best thing for him would be a mentor like Jimmy Vasser to help him out, regardless of where he ends up.

It's interesting that Carl Russo said that AJ was the most naturally talented driver he'd ever seen. That says a lot when he currently has Justin Wilson under contract.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1632221)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford
i heard that AJ will be replacing Mario Dominguez at Forsythe racing and that Mario will be going to Dale Coyne racing.
That would be the best scenario. Where did you hear that info, Peter?

The concern would be that a competitive Mexican is still needed, but at the moment an American is a priority.

A Tracy - Allmendinger pairing is something to salivate though.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1632260)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
As posted in the Champ Car thread, Dominguez has now left Forsythe. Apparently he wasn't fired, however, but rather requested to be released.

I'd be highly surprised if Allmendinger doesn't replace Dominguez at Forsythe.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1632293)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SO AJ is going to Forsythe and staying in Champ Car. He would very unlikely move to the IRL anyway, he gets scared on the one mile ovals...
Old 12 Jun 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1632790)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given the outcome, I'd say this thread has run its course.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James