Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 5 Oct 2002, 16:09 (Ref:396390)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin v. Nicky Round 2?

After the McCrash on Leg 1 it seemed to me that McRae was in an absolute rage -- Nicky was trying to suggest things they could do or asking Colin what he wanted him to do and Colin was just gunning the car and saying not a word.

Was he just totally up in smoke or do you think this is another sign that relations between the co-drivers are fractured? Like, did he blame Nicky because he mis-heard a pace note and screwed them out of the rally?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 14:16 (Ref:402850)   #2
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McRae misheard the pace note and ended up in the ditch. McRae's new co-driver is Derek Ringer who helped him win the title back in '95 in a Subaru. I think the relation strain began between McRae and Grist was last year's Rally of Great Britain where they crashed out and lost the title to fellow Brit Richard Burns.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 22:43 (Ref:403242)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And this was somehow Nicky's fault?
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:14 (Ref:403916)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grist did not put in his notes that he should not cut the corner.

Last edited by JAG; 14 Oct 2002 at 15:14.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 20:28 (Ref:404195)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Where did you hear that? (I'm not disputing it, I just wonder.)
Old 14 Oct 2002, 21:46 (Ref:404267)   #6
Paul69
Rookie

Paul69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suggested this in another forum - but "scapegoat" comes to mind. Ive followed Colin since his Nova days but it strikes me a bit strange that he fell out with Derek Ringer for the same reasons and now Nicky. There seems to be a common denominator here would you agree? I was so surprised to see Colin and Derek teaming up again after so long and after breaking up their professional relationship in that way. I'll be interesting to see what happens.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 22:33 (Ref:404312)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was on the BBC coverage of the Rally GB last year. They said in an interview the stones/bricks in the ditch were not picked up in the recce. That crash is a perfect example of an accident which was not McRaes fault. He would expect to be able to cut that corner without crashing unless told otherwise.

With regards to the New Zealand accident I heard the note was wrong not missheard by McRae.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 22:46 (Ref:404324)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Well, of course McRae would say that it was not his fault. Although I notice Burns did not blame his co-driver for the accident, and nor did the young man who took Alister McRae's place in that rally, nor Markko Martin.

But years of watching TGF in F1 and Mikey Andretti in CART have taught me that yes indeed there are people who never make mistakes, everything that happens is always someone else's fault. So it is entirely possible that McRae could be one of those.

To think I should live to see three perfect men in one lifetime.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 08:42 (Ref:404558)   #9
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
It was on the BBC coverage of the Rally GB last year. They said in an interview the stones/bricks in the ditch were not picked up in the recce. That crash is a perfect example of an accident which was not McRaes fault.
The reccy is carried out by the driver & co-driver so if any stones were missed it's their joint responsibility. Also the driver usually says what he wants noting at any particular spot.

Quote:
With regards to the New Zealand accident I heard the note was wrong not missheard by McRae.
In NZ after the accident McRae said: “I misheard a pace note coming into a second-gear corner and tried to take it in third. By the time Nicky (Grist) had a chance to repeat it, it was too late for me to make the corner."
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:47 (Ref:404669)   #10
Liz
Veteran

So he did admit it. Good for him and I am sorry I compared him to other perfecct people. Just a road accident like the other ones.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 10:47 (Ref:404670)   #11
Liz
Veteran

P.S. to Simon, the letter has been sent.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 17:30 (Ref:405055)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

To think I should live to see three perfect men in one lifetime.
So is Grist perfect.

i'm not saying McRae hasn't made mistakes but there are reasons why he has crashed. He is being paid to win the Championship not come second. The shortfalls of the car on tarmac and increasingly on gravel have required McRae to push extra hard to win rallies. Plus the unreliability of the car (for all Ford drivers)in early season rallies has made this task even more difficult in his pursuit to catch up the leaders in the later half of the season.

For all these problems he has still been the closet challenger to the Peugeots dominance.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 20:46 (Ref:405178)   #13
Liz
Veteran

No, clearly Nicky has made mistakes. But as far as I know he's never rolled the car. And if not for him, they would have continued the wrong way up the stage and heaven knows where they'd have ended up.

He does great crashes although Tommi's are nearly as good.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 21:08 (Ref:405189)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
No, clearly Nicky has made mistakes. But as far as I know he's never rolled the car. And if not for him, they would have continued the wrong way up the stage and heaven knows where they'd have ended up.

He does great crashes although Tommi's are nearly as good.
Funny you should say that as he rolled a Ford Ka on a British rally last year.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 23:17 (Ref:405301)   #15
Liz
Veteran

What on earth is a Ford Ka? I thought Ka was a snake in the Jungle Book.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 00:19 (Ref:405350)   #16
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
What on earth is a Ford Ka? I thought Ka was a snake in the Jungle Book.
http://www.arziki.co.uk/rplv3/site_files/ka_fmeset.htm
Old 16 Oct 2002, 11:12 (Ref:405592)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Thanks, I have never heard of these before. Did Nicky drive one in just one rally?
Old 16 Oct 2002, 16:47 (Ref:405873)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
I think hes had a few goes.