Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 5 Apr 2004, 18:11 (Ref:931338)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ratzenberger remembered

This hugely popular and modest man had just made it into Grand Prix racing when he was tragically killed during practice for the 1994 San Marino GP.

My favourite story about him comes from Le Mans later in the year. Not only was he competing in grand prix that year, but he was also due to race for Toyota in the 24 hour race. Eddie Irvine stepped in, but the team left Roland's name on the car. The team lost out on victory due to a mechanical problem, Irvine stating that it wasn't so bad as "Roland would have hated to miss out on the win!".

A man that had the friendship and respect of everyone he met.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 23:27 (Ref:931666)   #2
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to confess to not knowing very much about Ratzenberger, but do remember the incident and the effect it had on all the drivers and teams that week-end.

I remember Murray's voice being very subdued and his tributes heartfelt.

To which I add my own on this occasion.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 06:28 (Ref:931855)   #3
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The truth is, Roland Ratzenberger was not a future World Champion. He was a thirty-one-year-old rookie driving for a back-of-the-grid team, merely living out his dream of being a Formula One driver. In the book of racing history, he will be remembered as merely the driver who was killed at Imola the day before Senna's fatal accident. His death has not touched the world in the way that Senna's has; when one mentions his name, those unfamiliar with Grand Prix racing of an age before Schumacher-Ferrari domination will likely confuse him with the man who played Cliff the postman on "Cheers."

His career prior to 1994 was nothing too spectacular. He had won a few F3 and F3000 races in Europe and Japan, and was also a decent sportscar pilot; however, when compared to his contemporaries, his résumé was hardly glittering. This new team, named Simtek, then announced its intentions to enter Grand Prix racing for 1994. Strings were pulled, and Roland Ratzenberger found his way into the driver's seat.

I never met the man. I was eight years old in 1994, and my only exposure to the world of racing was waking up early to catch Formula 1 races on ESPN Sunday mornings before church. As far as I know, qualifying was not televised in the U.S. then; in any case, I was too busy watching cartoons Saturday mornings to care. As fate would have it, I overslept on the morning of May 1, and did not have the opportunity to watch the San Marino Grand Prix as it happened. I did, though, get home from church in time to catch the morning "Sportscenter." Since it wasn't football season, ESPN did not have too much to report on, so the big story of the day that dominated the program was Senna's death. I remember some of the details: the turn, the lap, the fact that Michael Schumacher won the race (for what it was worth). I remember them mentioning another driver who had recently died, but I did not make a note of him.

Within a few years, Formula 1 coverage shifted to ESPN2, which the cable provider of Monmouth, Illinois, did not offer (and which I have learned upon subsequent visits, still does not), and Grand Prix racing slowly drifted out of my memory. However, once Fox Sports Net started showing the races on tape-delay in 1998, and my introduction to the Internet, rekindled my interest. I remembered the events of 1994, and began to research that weekend in Central Italy. I found out that other driver's name: Roland Ratzenberger. Other than that, I knew nothing else about him, other than that he drove a Simtek and only qualified for one race. But a man is measured in more than just statistics.

From all that I have heard, Roland Ratzenberger was a very likeable man. Although he might have lacked the talent to succeed at the sport's highest level, his personality was such that everyone that he crossed paths with were willing to cheer him on. This itself deserves more than a mere footnote. This, the story of the loveable underdog who had made it all the way to the top only to have his opportunity tragically ripped away from him, is how he should be remembered. This deserves much more than just one line. I just wish I knew enough to be able to write it.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:21 (Ref:932045)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing that irks me most about that weekend in 1994 is the fact that just because he wasn't one of the elite drivers Roland Ratzenberger's tragic death doesn't get remembered the way it should, as he was still a racing driver that lost his life behind the wheel & most importantly was he was a human being that had his life tragically cut short while in his prime.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 10:44 (Ref:932067)   #5
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The type of memories that people have vary so much.

I can remember a different story about Roland Ratzenberger and that was how he managed to get sponsorship from TV:AM in the UK some years earlier. There was a puppet called Roland Rat! Roland realised the power of having a similar name - and managed to secure a bit of sponsorship from the programme

A story which shows his sense of humour too: I can't think off the top of my head which UK journalist it was - but he took his 3 year old son to see Roland Ratzenberger one day. The 3 year old took an instant shine to him and renamed him "Roland Rats-and-burger-and-chips" which immediately formed a bond between the up-and-coming driver and the little child.

Oh, and there was the time he "saved" Heinz-Harald Frentzen from injury. They were in Japan racing and they went out after a race. I don't recall the full details but I do remember HHF saying that a weapon was pulled out by somebody else and being waved at him. Roland intervened and wrestled the weapon off the culprit.
Old 6 Apr 2004, 18:59 (Ref:932633)   #6
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both Roland and Ayrton were doing what they loved and new the risks but the loss of Roland to those who knew him was no less than that of Ayrton just because he did not have his talent. A sad day hopefully never to be repeated. But never forget that when i became interested in F1 around 1966 this cull was common place. In one year alone i think F1 lost 5 drivers and in 73, mostly remembered for Stewarts last championship, we lost Cevert, Williamson and Gerry Birell ( A great up and coming driver in F2). After 10 years lets remember these great guys for their achievements and the pleasure they brought to us

To all the guys who have lost their lives so young. RIP
Old 8 Apr 2004, 06:55 (Ref:934072)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roland was a good guy and he may never have been WC he got a lot further than most in his racing career. He will always be remembered by me.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 05:42 (Ref:934962)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I was only 9 at the time and I can't say that I followed F1 as much as I do now. It was really sad the way he finally got into F1, only to have his fledgling career cut short. We will never know what Roland would have achieved and that is probably the most tragic thing about it.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 00:29 (Ref:939961)   #9
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm told he may well have saved the life of his close friend Heinz-Harald Frentzen. While racing in Japan they were talking to two women at a bar when a couple of men - the women's boyfriends? - took exeption to this and one tried to stab Heinz in the back. He'd probably have done so had Roland not seen what was happening and deflecting the blow.
Mika Salo, Eddie Irvine and Jacques Villeneuve were similarly close friends of his and his death is said to have been as big a blow to Jacques as that of his father.
Actually, pretty much everyone who met him seems to have become a friend of his. One of the good guys.

Last edited by santori; 15 Apr 2004 at 00:31.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 10:11 (Ref:941345)   #10
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roland was a real cool guy, he raced our M3 in the btcc and beat the works cars in 1987 at Thruxton, never a bad word about anyone. we all miss him greatly at DT
Old 19 Apr 2004, 19:10 (Ref:944586)   #11
sprocket
Racer

England
bramhall,cheshire
sprocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember he won the 86 festival,in ff1600 and to do that you had to be good.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 17:42 (Ref:955925)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At 1:18 CET tomorrow a new website will be launched:

www.roland-ratzenberger.com

This has been compiled by his family and friends.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 18:06 (Ref:955948)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for bringing up this topic, Adam; as a fan of Roland's, I find it hard to believe it is already 10 years since he passed on. I had the dubious privilege of seeing the whole thing on TV, and it is not something I want to see again, ever. The tragedy of it all is that with Senna losing his life a day later, the world has largely forgotten about Roland, even in his home country.

He was indeed one of the good guys.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 04:24 (Ref:956361)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thanks for the link to his site Adam.

10 years already and a man who was just starting his ultimate dream of being a Grand prix driver had it suddenly end in horific circumstances.

I didnt know much about him at all but it is a sad day when any competitor loses their life.

He will be remembered and sadly missed by many.
Attached Images

Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:50 (Ref:956870)   #15
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The website is live and looks very good. Hundreds of pictures!
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:58 (Ref:956881)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the link
Old 30 Apr 2004, 13:02 (Ref:956888)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a quick look at the website. Very impressive - shame I can't understand German.

I remember Roland from before his F1 days and he was a lovely person.

RIP Roland
Old 30 Apr 2004, 21:01 (Ref:957334)   #18
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
The tragedy of it all is that with Senna losing his life a day later, the world has largely forgotten about Roland, even in his home country.
That might be the case for casual followers, but true racing fans never forget, and neither will this one. Ever.

Roland's life was just as important as Ayrton's. 10 years ago already - unbelievable. I remember it like it was yesterday.

RIP Roland.
Old 3 May 2004, 03:41 (Ref:959019)   #19
rodrigomarban
Racer

rodrigomarban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was 6 years old by then. The only thing I remember about that weekend was Senna's death, which was the topic of the day in all TV programs.

I never knew anything about him, until I started using the internet.

It seems he was an admirable man.

RIP
Old 4 May 2004, 14:14 (Ref:960440)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good tribute to Roland by his friend Adam Cooper on the Autosport website.
Old 8 May 2004, 11:34 (Ref:964148)   #21
M1NNT
Rookie

M1NNT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great website,spent ages flicking through the pictures.
I remember him when he beat the works E30 M3's of Sytner and Mike smith in my old mans M3.
Great Guy,Great loss.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:26 (Ref:969917)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That Demon Tweeks M3 was memorable wasn't it? I can well remember breathtaking performances by Roland showing up Mr Sytner (always a bonus in my book).

I also remember some very poised performances in British F3 including a good race one GP morning when most of the crowd were still looking for good seats and breakfast. Roland's driving was mesmerising that morning. Not sure where he finished that day, but I still cherish seeing what he could do with a single-seater.