Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 May 2002, 01:40 (Ref:293120)   #1
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rookie of the year??????????

I know that its only six races into the season but id like to know who everyone thinks is the best rookie so far?
Old 23 May 2002, 01:47 (Ref:293121)   #2
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a "no one stands out yet" option? Webber's going o.k. but no one stands out like 2001 with Kimi, or 2000 with Jenson Button.
Old 23 May 2002, 01:54 (Ref:293124)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably more of a biased vote than anything, but Webber has been earning plaudits up and down the pitlane for his consistent results. He's been fast and never been off the pace and had suffered more than his fair share of bad luck already.

Although Massa may turn into something special, thus far he's not lived up to all the hype. He's been fast but ragged.

Sato has suffered bad luck and has been trying too hard at times. We're yet to see the form that won him the British F3 title so easily.

McNish has been impressive at times and is doing a good job, but nothing that outstanding.
Old 23 May 2002, 02:11 (Ref:293127)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AT THIS STAGE, I would have to say Webber.

He's been the complete package this year:
- blinding in qualifying
- keen to learn and improve
- almost solely developing the car, and doing a good job of it
- consistently fast in races (stuck it to the Jags at Imola, raced with Massa in Brazil, fastest lap only 2 seconds off the Williams in Austria)
- more often than not he drives with some technical problem with the Minardi
- he's brought the car home on all but one occasion.

For those that doubted his ability at the start of the year, he's answered them in a resoundingly positive way.

Massa is 2nd at present. He's shown glimpses of that potential everyone believes he has. And he hasn't thrown it off the road as much as I thought he might. He just needs to be a bit more consistent.

McNish has had a solid season so far. Not outstanding, but solid. He was all over the back of Salo at the end of the Austrian race, and I would have loved to have seen more of that fight.

Sato is a talented guy. Unfortunately he's stuck in that bright yellow pig. He's made too many mistakes this year, and they are probably from trying too hard (not necessarily a bad thing). He's been having a go. Maybe the best thing for Taku to do would be to just finish some races, irrespective of placing.

Webber gets the nod from me.
Old 23 May 2002, 02:24 (Ref:293129)   #5
freeze
Rookie

freeze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with alfasud.
"no one stands out yet" would get my vote
Old 23 May 2002, 02:33 (Ref:293133)   #6
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My vote would go for Massa and i think he's better than Kimi
Old 24 May 2002, 10:46 (Ref:294623)   #7
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber. 8th in Thursday practice at MONACO. He is the best new driver by far. (and i do not use monaco as his only exploit, its just his most recent.
Old 24 May 2002, 13:55 (Ref:294971)   #8
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa. hes been solid and can build on that for the next season.
Old 24 May 2002, 14:02 (Ref:294981)   #9
The Red BARon
Rookie

The Red BARon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber is definitely only second or even third in this list.

Massa is in another league. I see no point in setting up a ridiculous poll just to be nationalistic flag wavers for Aussie Mark Webber just for the sake of it, and just because Australia has finally got someone in F1 (through positive discrimination and favouritism I might add).
Old 24 May 2002, 15:48 (Ref:295110)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I agree that none of them stand out at the moment. Based on performance so far, I would hesitantly say Webber because Massa has been fast but not the most reliable driver, and Sato has had a mixture of bad luck and stupid mistakes. McNish has put in some good performances as well, although he's also had some bad luck.

We can all judge properly in October, anyway!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 24 May 2002, 23:37 (Ref:295459)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Red BARon

Massa is in another league. I see no point in setting up a ridiculous poll just to be nationalistic flag wavers for Aussie Mark Webber just for the sake of it, and just because Australia has finally got someone in F1 (through positive discrimination and favouritism I might add).
You are kidding TRB. I spot a theme here. TRB - I think I've just responded to a very negative thread you started concerning Paul Stoddart. Maybe it's you with the problem, not the Aussies. Any rational, reasonable and objective look at the season's performances would tell you he has been a star, and if he's not rookie of the year SO FAR, then I'll eat my hat.
Old 25 May 2002, 00:17 (Ref:295475)   #12
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said it at the start of the season MARK WEBBER is 02ROTY
Old 25 May 2002, 09:56 (Ref:295722)   #13
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massa is the most impressive so far. Webber is a close 2nd. Sato and McNish come in =3rd.

Last edited by Speedworx; 25 May 2002 at 09:57.
Old 25 May 2002, 12:22 (Ref:295799)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Way too early to vote. But if things continue as they have, it will fall to Webber by default.
Old 25 May 2002, 12:29 (Ref:295804)   #15
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think TRB has a few problems with Aussies! - Cricket, Rugby(League + Union), the weather - what's up maaate?
Old 25 May 2002, 12:37 (Ref:295812)   #16
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Red BARon

how's that, baron???

"positive discrimination".
so just because an aussie owns a team, he cant employ an aussie driver????
i can name a fair few british drivers employed by british teams over the last decade who didnt deserve to be in F1.
what about button???
third in F3, and he gets the williams drive ahead of their BRAZILIAN test driver, who was faster.
and what have you got against aussies, anyway????

Last edited by calais; 25 May 2002 at 12:38.
Old 25 May 2002, 12:58 (Ref:295832)   #17
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by calais

what have you got against aussies, anyway????
We keep winning everything.
Old 25 May 2002, 13:16 (Ref:295848)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's gotta be Webber. Yeah, I am an Aussie, and I admit last year I said I didn't think he was much good - but that has changed. His drive in Australia was smooth, calculated, and smart, while his efforts in Monaco were brilliant, in practice, and qualifying - ahead of both Jaguars. All year, Yoong hasn't been anywhere near him. So, yeah, my vote goes to Mark.

Massa hasn't been quite as quick out of the box as I'd expected him - I rated him very highly last year. But he has been pretty solid and the guy has great car control. He is one of the few drivers who has a distinctive style, even on telly.

Of the other two, the less said about Sato, the better. The bloke's bloody fast, but he hasn't gelled with F1 yet. F3 to F1 is a reasonable jump I guess, but Button managed it fine, and Raikkonen had no troubles with an even bigger leap.

Allan McNish has suprised me in the fact that he is exactly as I thought he'd be. Years of sportscar racing has made him a solid driver, able to bring the car home well, but not really blindingly fast.

BTW, IMO, the best debut since 2000 is Nick Heidfeld's. In a Prost, he gave it his all, stuck to it, and got hte work done, often as quick, or quicker than Jean.

Scott
Old 25 May 2002, 14:12 (Ref:295901)   #19
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My vote goes for Webber. He hasn't got the best car but he does carry a great heart and tries to make his best effort.
Old 25 May 2002, 14:47 (Ref:295925)   #20
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber's done a bloody good job, but at this stage I'm going for Massa, I think he's been a lot closer to Heidfeld than Raikkonen was last year (I'm not sure though) and I think he's outqualifying him more often as well.

Webber's obviously very good, it seems that being Australian hasn't harmed him . The trouble is, he hasn't really got a team-mate to compare himself against. Having said that, I'm sure he's every bit as good as Fernando Alonso (who? ) if not better!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 25 May 2002, 14:51 (Ref:295928)   #21
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber kicks ass. go potsie go
Old 27 May 2002, 06:37 (Ref:297166)   #22
mac
Veteran

In case you can't decide on the prize SO FAR, have a look at the Monaco race again.
Old 27 May 2002, 06:54 (Ref:297179)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber - mature and blindingly fast performance all weekend (and all year)

Massa - mistake-riddled and impatient weekend. Caused a number of problems for quicker drivers and earned the wrath of a few team principles.
Old 27 May 2002, 07:37 (Ref:297197)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any of the Massa fan club care to voice their support of his "exceptional skills"? He looked completely out of his depth to me. Normal race tracks flatter him, because there's room for uncontrolled side-to-side weaving and darting (which he often seems unable to control on the straights!).
Old 27 May 2002, 12:51 (Ref:297478)   #25
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
#*$@dy Aussies win everything, including speedskating. Don't let Webber near anything but a Minardi or Jaguar!!!!!!!!!!
;-)