Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3072716)   #1
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren's new nose - prettiest high nose to date?

Is the new nose, sported by the McLarens in Barcelona, the prettiest 'high nose' so far? I think so....
Old 11 May 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3072856)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would agree, although Mercedes seem to have an even more extreme platypus nose than before that is at least decisively dramatic. HRT's narrow nose isn't half bad.
Old 11 May 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3072861)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like it a lot. Well, McLaren is famous for his beautiful cars...
Old 11 May 2012, 23:56 (Ref:3072869)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It'll only look good when it's the first nose to have a chequered flag waved at it.
Old 12 May 2012, 02:15 (Ref:3072894)   #5
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Is the new nose, sported by the McLarens in Barcelona, the prettiest 'high nose' so far? I think so....
It's the only nose that isn't abominable looking.
Old 12 May 2012, 05:42 (Ref:3072909)   #6
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't see anything wrong with Marussia's.
(Other then not very likely to see the chequered flag waved at it).
Old 12 May 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3072989)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
I like it a lot. Well, McLaren is famous for his beautiful cars...
I do think McLaren has built some good looking F1 cars over many decades. However my first reaction to this was:
Old 12 May 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3073010)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It isn't a pretty nose job. A bit like Scarlett Johansson asking a plastic surgeon for "a Barbara Streisand".

But needs must I suppose and it'll probably do a fine job up until the point the tyres suddenly, and inexplicably, fall apart.
Old 12 May 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3073016)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
it'll probably do a fine job up until the point the tyres suddenly, and inexplicably, fall apart.
It's a science and like all science, can be explained if the teams work it out.
Old 12 May 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3073055)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They have a lower monocoque generally so it doesn't need the step to meet the new nose height rules.
Everyone else wants as much room as possible between the bottom front of the monocoque and the floor to do groovy aero things.
Old 12 May 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3073067)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Ah, so the other teams with higher monocoques are somewhat forced to make the sudden step at the last possible point, purely because of their height?
Old 12 May 2012, 15:01 (Ref:3073080)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I think that this is all a compromise between keeping the weight low and maximising aero.

Last edited by Adam43; 12 May 2012 at 18:26.
Old 12 May 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3073139)   #13
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, I can live with the McLaren anteater snout. At least it isn't quite a distinct duckbill.
Old 13 May 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3073743)   #14
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I've thought all season that the "stepped" nose looked like a swan - they have a sort of lump at the base just under the eyes. But the new Mclaren nose reminded me immediately of Daffy Duck.
Old 13 May 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3073751)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The nose on the Williams looked the best today. Schumacher showed us just how bad they can look.
Old 13 May 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3073799)   #16
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I take a benevolent view of that 1995 McLaren given subsequent developments. i.e that late-ninties Tyrrell with the forest of winglets and today's scaffolding on wheels with all the elegance of a fleet of stairway airport truck. Hopefully the stepped nose will be gone by next year.
Old 13 May 2012, 18:00 (Ref:3073886)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Hopefully the stepped nose will be gone by next year.
Oh No! I was just getting used to those!
Old 20 May 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3077016)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Does anyone know how much higher the McLaren nose was in Barcelona?
Old 21 May 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3077234)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Does anyone know how much higher the McLaren nose was in Barcelona?
The same height it was at Mugello.

Lots of stuff about noses here.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

I'm still unsure as to whether or not the new nose was an improvement.
Old 21 May 2012, 21:55 (Ref:3077490)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting things about noses !
Old 22 May 2012, 00:02 (Ref:3077557)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If it wins the WCC then it is so pretty....
Old 22 May 2012, 00:54 (Ref:3077570)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Interesting things about noses !
He nose yer know.