Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pebbles
Adrian was shouting at us to get back in
Yes, I expect he was. The Safety Car (out for a different incident) had already got its lights off ready to come in.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2297544)   #577
Flag Monkey
Rookie

Scotland
Stirlingshire
Flag Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well what a good weekend. Only downer was the start line incident. Thoughts are with Sara and the rest of the Neate family and wishing Andy the best on his recovery. Also well done to guys at Pedestrian Bridge and the rescue units for doing a good job.

Managed to stay awake all of the way through the race and when I wasn’t on post was having a mooch about the pits. Slightly regretted not taking a rest when I was shivering and the advertising hoardings seemed to be moving into the distance during the dawn stint at Abbey. Caffeine overload or what?

We had a good bunch on Abbey In/Out. Also a big thanks to Dave, Elaine, Alan and the rest of the guys on Farrruuumm who generally looked out for us and specifically did a food drop to post 17 on Friday afternoon after a cough, cough, ahem supply chain logistical issue with our lunches. As Douglas Adams (nearly) wrote “So long and thanks for all the cake”

Funniest moment of the weekend for me was the security guard at the main entrance crossroads suggesting to one of my flag marshalling colleagues that the perimeter road around the circuit was operating a strict clockwise one way system and insisting that he would have to go all the way round the perimeter road to Abbey in a clockwise direction because of the risk of lights dazzling the drivers. It was somewhat unlikely that Fraser’s push bike lamp was really going to blind the drivers? The car park was only 10 yards beyond his checkpoint and it would rather have knackered our rota system if Fraser had to cycle four miles in the dark to get to us. I guess the guy was only trying to do his job and it was about 1am but…..

Also well done to Gary for blagging some ice cream at the end of the race (thanks to the Beechdean guys) and then Paul and Fraser did their Mr Whippy impersonation in a Vectra by distributing it round what was left of the marshal’s campsite.

Thanks to Alan Tyson and Shelagh’s team for looking after us with pies and to Paul Wilson for encouraging so many of us to go down. Only three hundred and sixty days till next year.

PS Captain Slow beat me back North of the border but I did have to go via Oxfordshire on Monday/Tuesday and North Wales on Wednesday for work.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2297630)   #578
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad the Scots enjoyed themselves @ Farm/Abbey.
Hope to see you there again next year.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2297632)   #579
PieMan
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
BIG BIG Thank You

Thank you to everybody who came, however far and in whatever capacity. It wouldn't have been the same without you. I hope the post allocation worked out OK and sorry that signing on was so slow.

Thanks also for all the feedback, which has been very positive apart from a couple of good points that will be followed up by either the BRSCC or Silverstone as appropriate.

I'm really glad you all enjoyed it (I was a bit worried that it had been over-hyped). It was a great weekend bar one incident - but I am feeling a lot better about that after reading the latest news.

I'm glad you appreciated the work that was done behind the scenes to support all the marshals. I'm sorry about the delays on Friday and that those off duty missed the pie run. Perhaps the 'free' boxes that contained the cakes went some way to making up for it. My team was recruited from your families and friends, including some young people who will no doubt be out on post in future years. Now that more people are coming to the event then this area can be further expanded, although there's still some way to go to match the 'Road Kill Cafe' at the Daytona 24 Hours (but that event has been going for much longer).

The full team was Shelagh & Bill, James, Pam & Rhiannon, Paul (the snapper) and Phil & Vykki (who came along, and camped, despite being temporarily confined to a wheelchair). I'd also like to thank MrsT, left at home, and Matt & Sally at Croft Stores in Silverstone village (opposite the White Horse PH), who advised, obtained, sorted and stored most of the supplies - do return their support next time you are in the area.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2297810)   #580
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pieman,
This was my 1st of what will be many yearly visits to Britcar.

A Big Big thanks to all behind the scene`s for doing there bit of us guys in Orange.
Was at copse and had a really good bunch of peeps to spend the weekend with.
Thanks to Britcar,BRSCC & Silverstone.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2297864)   #581
Gravel slag
Rookie

England
Coventry
Gravel slag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like to say BIG thanks to all the team at copse last weekend. Special thanks to those who took control of the radio whilst I had a break and those involved on the pit straight incident.
You were a great bunch and it was a privelige to marshal with you all and for those not normally at Silverstone you are welcome back anytime.
Clive ( I.O. Copse Outside)
P.S. Thanks also to our Observer Arthur for the lighthouse effects!! Awesome!
And all those behind the scenes making/delivering butties etc.

Last edited by Gravel slag; 25 Sep 2008 at 19:21.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2297867)   #582
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hey, PieMan,

You forgot Bill and Stephanie delivering what lunches they could round the track on Friday.

Bill is made up that he has now added Silverstone to "circuits wot he has driven around" - even if he got abuse post Stowe when he'd run out of the first tranche of butties!
Old 25 Sep 2008, 19:24 (Ref:2297873)   #583
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan
I'm really glad you all enjoyed it (I was a bit worried that it had been over-hyped). It was a great weekend bar one incident - but I am feeling a lot better about that after reading the latest news.
Definitely not over-hyped, having done just the Sunday in my first year, and the whole 24 last year, this was even better than I thought it was going to be.
I am also feeling a lot better after hearing the improvement in Andy Neate's condition, great news, let's hope his speedy recovery continues.

Thanks again to everyone who looked after us, and Alan for coming round the campsite when we were still packing up after a lot of people had already left, I was still buzzing but getting desperate to go at that point, and it was lovely to see you and to get your thanks again
Old 25 Sep 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2297906)   #584
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel slag
Just like to say BIG thanks to all the team at copse last weekend. Special thanks to those who took control of the radio whilst I had a break and those involved on the pit straight incident.
You were a great bunch and it was a privelige to marshal with you all and for those not normally at Silverstone you are welcome back anytime.
Clive ( I.O. Copse Outside)
P.S. Thanks also to our Observer Arthur for the lighthouse effects!! Awesome!
And all those behind the scenes making/delivering butties etc.

Was a pleasure to work with you,it`s been my 3rd visit to silverstone and the memoriable.
Just a pity you picked the wrong shift rota and missed the all night " on-post " cafe and the 5am bacon butties.
like i said,you`ll see us both back sooner rather than later.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2297916)   #585
Gravel slag
Rookie

England
Coventry
Gravel slag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
Was a pleasure to work with you,it`s been my 3rd visit to silverstone and the memoriable.
Just a pity you picked the wrong shift rota and missed the all night " on-post " cafe and the 5am bacon butties.
like i said,you`ll see us both back sooner rather than later.
Just have to make sure I`m on the right shift next time then!!
Old 25 Sep 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2297917)   #586
Adam28
Rookie

Scotland
Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland!
Adam28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norma_maan
a few pictures from the weekend

http://www.ybrik.co.uk

Aww, so no pictures of you almost dislocating your shoulder then?
Old 25 Sep 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2297924)   #587
Adam28
Rookie

Scotland
Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland!
Adam28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just jokin, how is the shoulder?

Some nice pics there, tho you could have just asked for the pit lane rather than jumping off a six foot wall!!!(man)
Old 25 Sep 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2297935)   #588
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam28
Just jokin, how is the shoulder?

Some nice pics there, tho you could have just asked for the pit lane rather than jumping off a six foot wall!!!(man)
The thing's people do eh

PS you can marshal in a sling. If you want any details please PM me.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2298265)   #589
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
Don't give PieMan any more ideas !!!!

PieLady
Old 26 Sep 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2298457)   #590
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Priory had bacon butties! I converted the observers box into a kitchen for the night shift (much to the constination of ChrisA!), hot filter coffee all night and the butties around 7am.......

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 26 Sep 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2298494)   #591
JovialJooles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cambridge
JovialJooles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack
Priory had bacon butties! I converted the observers box into a kitchen for the night shift (much to the constination of ChrisA!), hot filter coffee all night and the butties around 7am.......
And very welcome it was too!

Not sure what the drivers thought when they saw Dave cleaning his frying pan though.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 16:23 (Ref:2298510)   #592
PieMan
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JovialJooles
Not sure what the drivers thought when they saw Dave cleaning his frying pan though.
Why, was he wiping it on one of the flags?

I'm sure RoyS sometimes wonders how they get in such a state.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2298523)   #593
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JovialJooles
And very welcome it was too!

And the excessive steam rising from the tyre wall may have caused a bit of consternation as they peeled off to refuel

Excellent butties Dave & the regular supply of coffee was very welcome too. A better class of coffee, none of your instant muck.

I'm sure Julian & I more than repaid the favour with our comedy Jacques Villeneuve impressions.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2298606)   #594
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack
When I got back on post, I thought they'd renamed Priory....'' The Greasy Spoon''
Old 26 Sep 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2298612)   #595
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
When I got back on post, I thought they'd renamed Priory....'' The Greasy Spoon''
Thought I heard "Control from Friory" at one stage
...and I,m sure the smell of bacon butties were wafting across Luffield
Old 26 Sep 2008, 19:45 (Ref:2298625)   #596
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandslammer
Thought I heard "Control from Friory" at one stage
...and I,m sure the smell of bacon butties were wafting across Luffield
You probably did. But give Dave his due, he cleaned up the kitchen, sorry Obs box. Unfortunately the butties had gone by the time I arrived.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2298635)   #597
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, so that explains the whiff of gas I got at Woodcote then - and which worried the refueling bay guys by the sounds of it.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2298681)   #598
PieMan
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Don't give PieMan any more ideas !!!!

PieLady
Too late - major plans being drawn up for next time and I'm sure we can get enough helpers to pull them off.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2298683)   #599
PieMan
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
You forgot Bill and Stephanie delivering what lunches they could round the track on Friday.
Did mention Bill but forgot Stephanie - sorry - a true all-rounder doing assembly, food runs and flagging during the main race
Old 26 Sep 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2298689)   #600
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would just like to add a massive thanks to all involved this year, all the bods in orange (and black), as usual to james tucker and his crew for first of all, lookin out for us all and 2nd for putting on another crackin weekend.

i would also like to pass my thanks on to pie man for keeping as many of the oulton boys together on post. many of the guys were first timers to the 24hrs and were very sceptal about britcar after past experiences at oulton. i know due to the racing and havin mates around they all loved it so thanks again alan.