Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 28 Nov 2000, 23:52 (Ref:50218)   #1
Spitfire
Rookie

Spitfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm using an Elise for track days and want to get some objective data about what I'm doing right and wrong. Might as well make the most of my track time!
My query is, can anyone recommend a good low-budget system that'll give me enough to improve - just want to beat the other guys by a bit more and prove it!
I've heard that Pi Research are introducing some budget systems soon - anybody know anything about them?
Old 3 Dec 2000, 12:37 (Ref:50900)   #2
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Spitfire

I've been using PI systems for about eight years now. You should be able to pick up a system 1 fairly cheap. I like these because they are small, very easy to use and you don't need to replace your guages to use it. You can get a mini dash to fit on the steering wheel to give lap times, rpm, speed etc. There are plenty of systems with higher logging rates and fancy screens but if all you want is the basics (throttle, brake, rpm, speed, steering, lap times and shift light) this is, in my opinion, the way to go.

It won't tell you what your doing right or wrong but if you change something like either setup or driving style you can overlay your laps and see if it is better or worse.

I saw a PI web site a while ago. I hope this helps.
Old 3 Dec 2000, 23:28 (Ref:50997)   #3
Spitfire
Rookie

Spitfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track day acquisition

Hi Redback,
Thanks for your reply - I have been doing some more research and discovered that Pi's new stuff is called piXpress.com - at the eponymous website. It's Club Motorsport stuff sold prepackaged at lower prices. Worth a look for a new system and also a good way to buy spares when you already know what you want.
Pi launched the service at PRI and will also show it at the Autosport exhibition.
Cheers!
Spitfire
Old 4 Dec 2000, 11:07 (Ref:51041)   #4
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Data acqusition that involves lap times at track days is a big no-no.

Assuming you are talking about track days organised by WheelTorque, Trackfun, Easytrack etc or any owners club track days then you will find any kind of timing equipment is banned.
There's one big and simple reason why timing is banned - any track day insurance (whether bought through a broker like Egger Lawson or as part of your own fully-comp cover) will exclude "timing or racing".
With no lap times a track day is non-competitive and is not racing. Introduce lap timers and *everyones* insurance becomes null and void and the entire event becomes competitive.

If you really, really must have times - use a video camera in the car and time yourself when you watch the playback

Regards
Andrew
Trackday organiser for the TVR car club
Old 5 Dec 2000, 13:01 (Ref:51207)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an associated question

Some mfr say some tracks have existing permanent beacons and then don't say to which this applies

Does anyone have any more complete UK information ?
Old 5 Dec 2000, 13:17 (Ref:51208)   #6
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>Some mfr say some tracks have existing permanent beacons >and then don't say to which this applies

Almost all of the big circuits have permanent beacons. To be honest I never set up a beacon on any of the circuits I went to this year. This is mainly because invariably you end up with the pit wall being covered in a dozen lap timer beacons all transmitting on the same frequency range. Doesn't matter whether you have a Pi, Stack or Rollcentre laptimer, they'll all trigger off the 1st beacon they see.

What's flipping annoying is when someone sets up a beacon on the other side of the track and you get split-times - might be useful for the team that stuck the beacon out there but I have to do some mental arithmetic each lap to work out my times!