Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 8 Apr 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1886608)   #1
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DMN or DMSN

Assuming BARCse ( who own the series ) don't care, could falcemob set up some voting buttons, we could then decide on version to use, and avoid any confusion to casual readers.

Many moons ago, the old MN was universaly referred to in COBRA (an anarchic F1 magazine) as Emergency Bogroll. Less than charitable, and MN has changed considerably since then !

p.s was going to say disingenuous but I can't spell it !
Old 8 Apr 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1886627)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure we need a poll as it is up to the organisers to decide what they call the series.
So if Rod, Graham, Chezza and whoever else is behind the scenes would care to give some input for which name to use on here it would be welcome.
Also don't forget the new deal was only drawn up literally a day or two ago and maybe what abbreviation to use is the last problem they would have thought of when they were also in the middle of organising a race meeting

Last edited by Tim Falce; 8 Apr 2007 at 19:53.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1886632)   #3
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree it's down to BARC SE to confirm but for my two pence worth it is MN not MSN...
Old 8 Apr 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1886637)   #4
Shawn
Racer

England
East Sussex
Shawn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't heard anything officially but reading between the lines I have gone and changed the masters website to read DMN...

Must admit tho' DMSN has a better ring to it.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1886641)   #5
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree DMSN does but in the paper they refer to themselves as MN which is I guess where I picked it up from when first started reading it...and it's Motorsport News, not Motor Sport News.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 20:39 (Ref:1886709)   #6
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely it should be Dunlop Motorsport News Saloons?

So DMNS perhaps?
Old 8 Apr 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1886722)   #7
Shawn
Racer

England
East Sussex
Shawn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All this fuss over four letters. Personally I like either of the two suggestions because it needs to be longer than three.

Three letters are just too abrupt.

DMSN sounds too Microsoftie so perhaps Jon's one is best?
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1886743)   #8
peenuts
Rookie

France
peenuts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to all but i like the bogroll sounds the best to me
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:20 (Ref:1886757)   #9
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DUMOSPNESACACH now that would be a mouthfull , it might even be a german swear word..
Old 8 Apr 2007, 21:42 (Ref:1886778)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Isn't MSN copyrighted though by Microsoft, and anyway to settle the "argument" is it not down to MN / BARC SE?
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1886789)   #11
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I'm not sure we need a poll as it is up to the organisers to decide what they call the series.
So if Rod, Graham, Chezza and whoever else is behind the scenes would care to give some input for which name to use on here it would be welcome.
Also don't forget the new deal was only drawn up literally a day or two ago and maybe what abbreviation to use is the last problem they would have thought of when they were also in the middle of organising a race meeting

If Graham /Rod / Chezza give us the BARC view ( if there is one ) we can put this to bed. - I know theyv'e got other things to do, but I opened this thread to draw discussion away from other thread !possibly going to do more tintops than dunlopwhatsit anyway - dependent on new engine, and how soon Rover is ready for playing with !
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:09 (Ref:1886791)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Sorry missed this edit as posted at the same time before...

Of course organising the meeting takes priority however it was known as the DTRC more commonly then Dunlop xxxxx<fullnamehere>xxxxx and I would've presumed it would have been said what the "correct" abbreviation is whenever it was announced yesterday - as wasn't at Lydden am only going by what's on here, and there does seem to be some confusion.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1886798)   #13
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this seems a lot of fuss over an abbreviation, yes we knew it as DTRC, and before that TRC but only because the full title was a mouthfull, but in years before it was always known by its full name not an abbriviation, and officially it has to be know by its title as given to the MSA

that said my vote would be DMN as its short sweet and easy to remember

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1886803)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose it should be DMN (as yes thats what abbreviation they use in the paper), but thats not the official line, just my opinion...I suppose it is something that we would need to discuss with the full committee, not just Graham, Rod and I.

Officially we are still "The British Automobile Racing Club South Eastern Centre Dunlop Track And Race Car Magazine Saloon Championship" as that is what was registered with the MSA at the beginning of the reason. I don't know if we'll be able to get it officially changed for this season, however I'm sure we'll look into it.

After all its only a blinking name, the championship is still the same!
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1886804)   #15
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham bahr
this seems a lot of fuss over an abbreviation, yes we knew it as DTRC, and before that TRC but only because the full title was a mouthfull, but in years before it was always known by its full name not an abbriviation, and officially it has to be know by its title as given to the MSA

that said my vote would be DMN as its short sweet and easy to remember
Good to see the car finishing races now Graham, even if you've temporarily had to go for a bit less power -apart from the bumpers, did you get much damage yesterday ?
Old 9 Apr 2007, 07:09 (Ref:1886998)   #16
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the spolier oh yes forgot that lost that in practise on the curb at paddock when i found oil on the n/s/r tyre and paddock bend dont go together,

the n/s arches are a bit battered which are easily fixed and wont cost me anything,

but unfortunatly i need to renew the outer rim on one of my nice new split rims- ouch

Old 9 Apr 2007, 09:09 (Ref:1887048)   #17
Minicross424
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ashford Kent
Minicross424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about naming it champ car style? :

Dunlop Presents The Motorsports News Saloons.

I like it.
Old 9 Apr 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1887050)   #18
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
thats even more of a mouthfull!!

the debate isnt what the championship shall be called, thats is settled, just what we abbriviate it to for our purposes on here.

Old 9 Apr 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1887084)   #19
retro_msport
Racer

England
Harlow
retro_msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DUNLOP MOTORSPORT NEWS CHAMPIONSHIP (DMNC)

The Uk's premier Saloon Car Clubmans Championship with cars from 600bhp 4 wheel drive monsters through ex BTCC, Thundersaloons and DTM cars to classic saloons in all shapes and sizes. Never before has a mix of cars such as this fought so hard and cleanly for the wins, and winners come from all walks of life. From the youngster starting out in his own garage to the seasoned competitor with a pro-built car. Cameraderie in the paddock is second to none, with competitors in the same class helping out their rivals with problems, lending hands and tools and parts to get every car out on the grid.
With races throughout the field for class wins, its dosn't matter where you look at the track, there are cars dicing for the lead overall or their class lead. Famous names and cars battling with new names and cars at every corner on every lap.
Ladies and Gentlemen, racing dosnt get much better than the DMNC.

(ok.. was just going to put DMNC down..but the kettle hadnt boiled )
Old 9 Apr 2007, 10:25 (Ref:1887092)   #20
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WOW...that really sums up the championship.

(actually it would be DMNSC...dunlop motorsport news saloon championship...but never mind)
Old 9 Apr 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1887108)   #21
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Both the official BARC site and also Rods site is using "DMN" can we have the title of the thread changed please?!! Thanks Tim!
Old 9 Apr 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1887265)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Done
Old 9 Apr 2007, 18:30 (Ref:1887397)   #23
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DeMoN Saloons!
Old 9 Apr 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1887441)   #24
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on carrera, and when are you returning?
Old 11 Apr 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1889208)   #25
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought about debuting the new car at Lydden in the Tin Tops; just to give it a bit of a shakedown: but we have no tyres.