Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1064096)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC Eyes BAR Switch

David Coulthard is determined to carry on in F1 and has confirmed his interest in joining the BAR team.

"All the seats that are available we have targeted. BAR's performance this year has been fantastic, there's no reason to expect it to be any different next year," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/3559770.stm

Good luck, DC.

Last edited by Led ZeppF1; 12 Aug 2004 at 16:57.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 16:58 (Ref:1064099)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, kick him to Jaguar for God's sake!
He's been hogging those top line seats for far too long!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1064133)   #3
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor DC, After having opportunity after opportunity for the vast majority of his career it looks like he is starting to grasp at straws a little bit to prolong the agony for another season or so. It is really a shame that he never fully reached his potential, and now that he is leaving McLaren I do not see him doing much more then making up the numbers at this point in his career.

It will be a real kicker for him if Mika gets the BAR seat instead of DC!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:44 (Ref:1064139)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The DC-bashers are out in force again, I see. Can they name anyone else who offers the guidance, experience and direction BAR need for next season? Talented though Sato and Davidson are, tehy'd be unable to follow up on this season's impetus.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1064141)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC would be the clear number one at BAR with the support and confidence that brings.

He may flourish in that role - and would help develop Sato to the next level too.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:52 (Ref:1064144)   #6
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
The DC-bashers are out in force again, I see. Can they name anyone else who offers the guidance, experience and direction BAR need for next season? Talented though Sato and Davidson are, tehy'd be unable to follow up on this season's impetus.
Not a DC-basher at all, as for your question I say Mika before DC (providing Mika wants to race)
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1064156)   #7
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nah, Ant'll be in there so DR will choose another nationality, either Sato stays or those Hakkinen rumors may just come true.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1064157)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There has been a bit of talk about Sato's seat not being safe, unless he improves, so since we don't know who'll be in that other BAR I don't think one can assume that DC would have a number one status. If Sato were able to find a way of calming his driving without losing the pace he'd rival DC anyway in all likelihood - he'd still lack consistency and experience but I'm pretty sure he'd be ok for pure speed.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1064188)   #9
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC and BAR would be a very good combination. Not so sure about a returning Hakinen.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:39 (Ref:1064192)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC would be a good choice for BAR, but he will be nothing but a stop-gap measure for someone like Davidson.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1064421)   #11
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Can they name anyone else who offers the guidance, experience and direction BAR need for next season?
They need someone who can win mate, not get blown away by yet another teammate. ASCII Man is right.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:04 (Ref:1064459)   #12
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
There has been a bit of talk about Sato's seat not being safe, unless he improves, so since we don't know who'll be in that other BAR I don't think one can assume that DC would have a number one status. If Sato were able to find a way of calming his driving without losing the pace he'd rival DC anyway in all likelihood - he'd still lack consistency and experience but I'm pretty sure he'd be ok for pure speed.
I think the talk about Sato's future arose before Jenson dropped his bombshell. If Jenson is on his way out, I don't think BAR would want to do a Toyota and start with two new drivers next season, but will try to retain some continuity.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 00:07 (Ref:1064503)   #13
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all... I'm not a DC fan, but...

I don't see the fuss about Davidson... Sure, hes fast on the fridays but note he doesn't have to conserve his tyres, engine and chassis. He's also with the only current top team that can have a 3rd driver on the fridays. He has a fast car and he can do laps on new tyres and low fuel while others are trying to get a good race trim.

If Sato stays, it would be wise to put Coulthard in the other car. DC has proven he can do good races, Davidson has yet to prove it. Choose an experienced driver next to Sato, since Sato basicly still drives like a rookie.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 00:15 (Ref:1064508)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After this Button mess settles down, DC might be just the type of guy there looking for.

His race pace is still good, but it's the damn qualifying he can't seem to get a handle on.

Danica Patrick
Old 13 Aug 2004, 00:45 (Ref:1064520)   #15
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mika wants to race the question for DR will be if he'll take a gamble on Mika or settel for David who'll race at a nice pace (not as quick as Mika in his good days, but noone knows if still has the pace).

I'd either take the man who have proved he can win the championship (Mika) or a young guy who might win it (Davidson maybe.. maybe someone else) insted of David who lets his team mates take the championships
Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:07 (Ref:1064532)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
After this Button mess settles down, DC might be just the type of guy there looking for.

His race pace is still good, but it's the damn qualifying he can't seem to get a handle on.
He seems to have got it sorted of late - France and Germany were good.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:17 (Ref:1064542)   #17
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR need an experienced driver who can provide good technical feedback in order to keep the project moving forward. DC is the only driver in that class who is available. Truli does not have that reputation, It would take Mika half a season to get up to speed, and even then he may not be the driver he was.

DC may not have all out speed but he can validate the engineering work and give you consistancy and points - and points make prizes as brucie used to say.

Sato has to prove in 2005 that he can lead a team or he is a luxury that BAR cannot afford. Id actually go DC and davidson for 2005 but DR is too much of a gentleman to show sato the door
Old 13 Aug 2004, 05:09 (Ref:1064613)   #18
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How funny would it be if he won the world championship in a BAR

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 13 Aug 2004, 06:57 (Ref:1064678)   #19
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Onlooker
How funny would it be if he won the world championship in a BAR
Yep... after driving WDC/WCC winning cars at Williams & McLaren for most of his "glorious" career that would be very funny.

And now I hear from an Italian journalist that BAR is checking Rubens' contractual details with Ferrari...

I agree they need an experienced driver... but come on, these guys?
Old 13 Aug 2004, 08:11 (Ref:1064734)   #20
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love this season, not for its racing, but the continual driver merry-go-round.......

Perhaps F1 should be renamed as The Magic Roundabout.
I wonder how the driver and character comparison would go..... answers on a postcard to:

Ermintrude the Boss
Magic Roundabout Management
Piccadiliy Circus
London
Old 13 Aug 2004, 08:24 (Ref:1064741)   #21
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Two things i must say

Why oh WHY ,when we simply state how bad DC is,we are suddenly branded DC bashers!!
I for one am getting absolutally sick of this!!.He's a waste of any front grid seat pure and simple.

*******FACE FACTS AND STOP INSULTING EVERYBODY WHO DARES SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT YOUR HERO********

And the other thing-you are right about him being (probably) the best choice BAR has right now.No,that's not a compliment to DC....
Old 13 Aug 2004, 08:24 (Ref:1064742)   #22
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He seems to have got it sorted of late - France and Germany were good.
After whatever it is 9 or so seasons with McLaren and the longest driver team partnership theres been, I just hope Brundle will be able to come up with a better selling point than simply: he's been good in the last few races!

Not too sure we'll be seeing DC at all next year, not that I dont think he's up to it, but definately, scrapping this quali format would help his chances.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 08:38 (Ref:1064752)   #23
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did any body see them quotes in Motorsport News a few weeks ago...
DC to Sato: "I wouldn't of made that move on Barichello"
Sato to DC: "I know"

To me this sums up DC oh so well!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1064805)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

What - that he doesn't crash out in silly manouvres?

DC has made some great overtakes through the years.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1064844)   #25
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overtaking - Not anymore. Brundle always goes on about how you get transfixed if you sit behind another car for too many laps.

He says this on ITV all the time, i'd say that's because it's always top of the agenda with DC!

I'd rather see a driver retire for want of trying rather than not trying at all.