Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2649280)   #51
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Seems those camping on Tertre Rouge campsite will have new neighbours this year. According to the map on this year's brochure/booking form, the funfair is on the move again and due to be sited between Tertre Rouge campsite and the track, halfway down the hill between the Dunlop Bridge and the approach to Tertre Rouge corner.

There goes the neighbourhood...........
Oh arse.

Not so much down to the noise / idiot factor, but possibly for ruining the view up towards the bridge - although will be interested to see where exactly they end up locating it. Logic would suggest in the large flat area near where the music stage has been the last few years, which possibly might not end up causing too much devastation.

In any case, given the all-too-frequent presence of the police helicopter over my bit of South London it might be a bit rich for me to complain about the neighbourhood going to the dogs.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:30 (Ref:2649289)   #52
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
.........although will be interested to see where exactly they end up locating it. Logic would suggest in the large flat area near where the music stage has been the last few years, which possibly might not end up causing too much devastation.
That's where it always used to be situated and I agree, it will hopefully remain in the vicinity of the bridge rather than migrating too far down towards the Tertre Rouge grandstand (which is the location pinpointed on the map).
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:40 (Ref:2649294)   #53
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many good viewing places are there apart from the grandstands?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:49 (Ref:2649297)   #54
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Numerous, from Maison Blanche all the way to Tertre Rouge, then there's the Porsche Curves enclosure, Arnage (the best of all, in my opinion), and Mulsanne. The grandstands along the pit straight are great for the start and finish (and if you feel the need of a little protection from the elements), but for much of they race they remain almost empty.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 00:52 (Ref:2649298)   #55
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The short answer is loads.

My particular favourite is the the bit over looking the Foret Esses which if you get the location right can give you a decent view from the Dunlop Bridge down to Tertre Rouge.

That said, with 24 hours to play with you've got the scope to wander round and discover a wealth of hidden gems where you can glimpse cars in different and unexpected ways. Time plays a role too - there's something brilliant about seeing the tail lights fade as they blast away down the Mulsanne in the small hours when you can have the further reaches of the Tertre Rouge enclosure all to yourself.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 01:11 (Ref:2649305)   #56
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cool, thanks guys. Me and my brother have general admission tickets booked, and a Houx Annexe camping pass.

I'm glad there's plenty of places because we like to roam around and of course with a 24Hr race it gives plenty of opportunity for that.

Never been to Le Mans before, really really REALLY looking forward to it!!!
Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2649411)   #57
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The funfair has been moving around for years now and for the past couple there has been very little of the old rides and stalls left. The concerts are scheduled for this year again but no idea of who will be performing. The track has changed considerably since the last time the Funfair was out beyond the dunlop bridge and there will not be much room for the concert and the funfair so we will have to wait and see.

Tertre Rouge campsite stretches along the track and the grandstand is still there so where the big wheel will be situated will be interesting, perhaps the concert could be moved elsewhere particularly if they are expecting a big turnout.

I have enjoyed tertre rouge campsite for ten years now and would prefer it not to be to close to the funfair but if it is we will have to live with it.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:27 (Ref:2649416)   #58
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
it looks like i'll be there! Camped out in the media centre and a hotel in the town (cant remember the name, but it was really cheap)
Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:32 (Ref:2649420)   #59
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
everyone has places they go back to year after year, I always try to watch a few hours in the late evening at arnarge, but do spend the majority of the time between the dunlop bridge and tertre rouge great views, a big screen and close to our campsite. Plan your 24 hours carefully and visit as much as possible you will then find your favorite places, I would suggest for your first year that you make sure that you are on the start/finish straight for 3.00pm on saturday but after that try and walk/drive/get bus to all the viewing points.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 09:00 (Ref:2649433)   #60
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Seems those camping on Tertre Rouge campsite will have new neighbours this year. According to the map on this year's brochure/booking form, the funfair is on the move again and due to be sited between Tertre Rouge campsite and the track, halfway down the hill between the Dunlop Bridge and the approach to Tertre Rouge corner.

There goes the neighbourhood...........
Just checked the website and it does indeed show a funfair being next to the grandstand, however the ground there is sloping down and not really ideal for any large rides, the big wheel is still on the map where it has been for the last few years and the picture of the funfair is at least 15 years old, nothing like that has been at lemans since the last century.

Tertre rouge campers can sleep easy I think
Old 12 Mar 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2650166)   #61
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
it looks like i'll be there! Camped out in the media centre and a hotel in the town (cant remember the name, but it was really cheap)

In 'the' town?

Did they tell you which town Andy?

Accommodation is apparently still quite cheap 150 miles away from Le Mans......
Old 12 Mar 2010, 09:36 (Ref:2650177)   #62
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Just checked the website........the big wheel is still on the map where it has been for the last few years........Tertre rouge campers can sleep easy I think
I hadn't spotted the big wheel symbol, but they appear to have dumped it in Parking Blanc. If the pinpointing of the rest of the funfair is as accurate, it'll be nowhere near Tertre Rouge campsite, so nothing to worry about!

Incidentally, rumour has it that Ayse is considering bringing back the '12 bores' this year for his own BMW themed sideshow..........

Old 12 Mar 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2650195)   #63
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
I hadn't spotted the big wheel symbol, but they appear to have dumped it in Parking Blanc. If the pinpointing of the rest of the funfair is as accurate, it'll be nowhere near Tertre Rouge campsite, so nothing to worry about!

Incidentally, rumour has it that Ayse is considering bringing back the '12 bores' this year for his own BMW themed sideshow..........

We will all need to be careful then as his aim is not what it was and I don't want to be collareral damage.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2650397)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blind as a bat - that's me. Still, I think I need to think of a far more sophisticated way of sabotaging those shopping trolleys.......
Old 14 Mar 2010, 06:30 (Ref:2651442)   #65
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all,

I am traveling across the pond with my girlfriend for my first ever Le Mans. We will be coming in via TGV from Paris on Friday and setting up camp at Houx. I have read the fantastic CA guide, it is truly a wealth of information. Does anyone have any tips for a first-timer?

-Joel
Old 14 Mar 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2651681)   #66
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, mine are ageing a little now (it's 24 years now, not 21!), but you're welcome....

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk/2002/firsttimers.htm
Old 15 Mar 2010, 08:07 (Ref:2652419)   #67
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJoel31 View Post
Hello all,

I am traveling across the pond with my girlfriend for my first ever Le Mans. We will be coming in via TGV from Paris on Friday and setting up camp at Houx. I have read the fantastic CA guide, it is truly a wealth of information. Does anyone have any tips for a first-timer?

-Joel
Enjoy yourself, go with open eyes, drink in the emotion of the ceremonies, go along with the French way of doing things, and remember you can sleep after the event is finished (I saw all 24 hours of my first visit).

And be prepared to come back year after year!!!!!!!
Old 15 Mar 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2652485)   #68
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
Enjoy yourself, go with open eyes, drink in the emotion of the ceremonies, go along with the French way of doing things, and remember you can sleep after the event is finished (I saw all 24 hours of my first visit).

And be prepared to come back year after year!!!!!!!
All that is great advice - especially to go along with the French way and don't let it wind you up - there is so much to take in you probably wont realise how much you enjoyed it until a few weeks later when you will be counting the days to the following year.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2652580)   #69
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJoel31 View Post
Hello all,

-Joel
The first thing I would say is make sure you get plenty of sleep on the way down, the campsites on friday can be very noisy and you will not get a great deal of sleep, as for Saturday night there will be to much to do, Sunday night is also a liitle noisy. When you arrive at Le mans, stock up with supplies before you get to the campsite, Beer, food and water as Houx (hopefully you have allocated pitch) is a long way from a supermarket.

Try to get to the campsite as soon as possible friday night (mad friday is not the time to be walking through with huge amounts of luggage (tents etc) and cabs will be very wary of going anywhere near the roundabouts.

Try to do the pit walk on friday afternoon and the drivers parade on Friday night, and use the trams to get back.

You will enjoy yourselves but remember the race is only part of Le mans the experience is so much more.
Old 23 Mar 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2658879)   #70
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks all... based on my flight schedule (arriving in Paris on Thursday morning) it might make more sense to try and arrive in Le Mans by Friday afternoon, so we have more time to get everything set up around our pitch and pick up supplies from Carrefour. Then we will have time for exploring/festivities on Friday evening.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 10:44 (Ref:2659141)   #71
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Friday is a bit late .. so try to arrive as soon as possible

Ciao Marco
Old 24 Mar 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2659204)   #72
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth View Post
Friday is a bit late .. so try to arrive as soon as possible
I agree, go straight to the circuit when you arrive on Thursday, you'll regret it if you don't!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 04:11 (Ref:2662363)   #73
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well my tour operator has come up trumps with my Grandstand seat, as Im going with my dad they've got me seats in T19 Lagache, I've never sat opposite the pits before only up the end in Wimille.
Any one give me a clue what its like apart from being awesome?
Old 29 Mar 2010, 07:57 (Ref:2662438)   #74
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
Well my tour operator has come up trumps with my Grandstand seat, as Im going with my dad they've got me seats in T19 Lagache, I've never sat opposite the pits before only up the end in Wimille.
Any one give me a clue what its like apart from being awesome?
Excellent place to be!

I've been in Lagache a couple of times (migrated a few races back after many years in Leonard). You're almost dead centre along the pit lane, feels like you're very much in the thick of the action. Very easy to follow pitstops, you won't miss a thing that happens in the pitlane. A couple of things that may, or may not, be negatives - you're almost equidistant to the giant screens at each end of the pits straight, which means a good view of neither, and the noise reverberating off the tin roof can become wearing after a time (although decibel levels have reduced over the last few years, so perhaps no longer an issue).

Overall, I'd say it's a perfect choice for your Dad's first visit to Le Mans!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2662671)   #75
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
If I couldn't be in T34, I'd be in Lagache - as I was with AllonFS in 2008.