Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 28 Oct 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2322637)   #201
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TW, in terms of both the flow and the blot shape, I think that "JS Speedway" is your best design yet. The main spectator area between the two straights is cool, too, and could be even bigger if continued along the whole of the pit area.
I'd love to try it out on a simulator. Regarding elevation changes and such, may I suggest a strong camber for Turn 4?
Old 28 Oct 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2323007)   #202
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not bad at all. The first three corners make up an interesting section, and turn 8 stands out as a great overtaking opportunity. As you could probably figure out by now, I like fast corners so I would probably throw in a high speed kink or chicane in the long back straight. But, that's just me
Old 29 Oct 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2323378)   #203
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it woulnt be major, as such, and it'll be easier to describe it to you instead, as it isn't that bad, lookign at it again.

All I'd do would be to...

...merge 1 to 3 in a single turn (I don't like chicanes at the start if a hairpin will do the same thing, don't know why ), opening out 4 to compenstae for runoff, which indirectly gives extra speed in to 5, 6 and 7.

...open out six a shade more in to 7, and tightening 7, meaning a better opportunity at 7.

...extend the run between 5 and six, which indirectly extends the run to 12 from 11 , increasing the chances of the opportunities at both 7 and 12.

...make 12 and 13 a single corner, by opening 11 out EVEN MORE, incrasing speed at the last turn, which is all good.

Sorry for the fuss, but I wasn't awake enough to give a description. I'm also starting to think about my next SU project, but progress is slow.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 01:23 (Ref:2323942)   #204
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkeWannabe
Now, before I go to get dressed up for the Valedictory, I wanna post a track. This one's called JS (I was desperate for a name at the time) and it's called that because it looks like a cross between a J and S. I haven't got any elevation changes to speak of which is a bugger but here it is. I'm sorry it's a bit squished but I was in a hurry cutting it down to size. Enjoy.
Tilke, the beauty of your design here,is that it can be made out of an abandoned airport, matter of fact it reminded me somehow of the Fajardo proyect,though space limitations prohibited going that far away from the runway,it still uses the same principle of paralel straights,very eficient if you ask me.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 01:44 (Ref:2323948)   #205
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If rotate this pic by 90 degrees,you'll see it's somehow alike.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 05:54 (Ref:2323991)   #206
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thx for the comments guys! I thought after what Tathy (lol) said about it, I thought it would go downhill from then on, but MAN was I wrong. A hat-trick for me and counting, SCORE!

@Tathy: Ohhh, I was expecting an edit, but it's not your fault you were half-awake. Doesn't matter.

@LuiggiSpeed: I thought it sounded funny when you said "I'd like you to break that up a little bit." Sounded to me like you were kinda telling him off but I can see where you're coming from on the safety aspects of it with you being a motorcycle rider and all. But say, you were in a car, more specifically an F1 car, I'd guess that track would call for a medium or medium-low downforce set-up. If that were the case, and that would be the case for most racing cars having wings, they would have enough downforce to take that without falling off the track and crashing heavily into a tyre wall. Maybe it would be more suited for cars rather then bikes.

I can also see where you're coming from with your Fajardo project being similar to mine in some aspects. At first, it sounded like my track would've been downgraded if it were built over an abandoned airport compared to brand spanking new. I don't know whether I mentioned it before, but I do liike your motorbike track, it would be a lot of fun, maybe in a high-powered go-kart or something for me personally, I wouldn't know about riding a powerful road bike around it though, but I have driven a go-kart before and it was fun, except for when I stalled it just after coming out of the pit lane!

I still haven't got my head 'round the fact that I've finished school for good and I'm NEVER doing it again and that I've got the rest of my life ahead of me. I know I should but......right now I feel that it's nothing but I know it is and will be.

Thx anyway LS.

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 30 Oct 2008 at 05:58.
Old 31 Oct 2008, 16:12 (Ref:2324910)   #207
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
TilkeWannabe: I would prefer you didn't call me Tathy, but I'll also explain that the track is being designed as I pack for an overnight hike tonight and prepare for a race on Sunday morning. It's also the reason why I don't have as many offerings as other people.

On topic: I see wherre you are comong from there, LuiggiSpeed. Nice edit of SBF's
Old 1 Nov 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2325254)   #208
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Sorry Tathrim.

If it's alright with you, I'd like to get back on topic with my next one. This one is an "edit" of sorts but it's basically the Bilbao street circuit being turned into a putpose-built race track near Bilbao somewhere.

Here's the Bilbao street circuit from 2005 onwards. Whether it's still being used is beyond me.

And here's the "edit" I did of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bilbao 2005 Onwards.gif   Bilbao Road Circuit.jpg  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 1 Nov 2008 at 08:34.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2325258)   #209
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Double post

Sorry the posting didn't quite work properly. Anyway, my "edit" is basically the same shape as the original, but I changed it a bit to suit my taste. My edit would include elevations, such as the rise after going under the bridge up to turn 3, but not a large rise. Most of the track is flat, but there's a descent from turns 8-10, flattens out and then drops slightly again up to turn 13, then it's flat going to the S/F straight. Enjoy.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2325326)   #210
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like that T4 though T14 section.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2325366)   #211
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't really fault the long one but i may have an edit for the shorter track basically go over the bridge and take it to the right about halfway along that straight, making it a nice smooth run into the rest of the track

I might get round to doing an edit of it sometime
Old 1 Nov 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2325486)   #212
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Can't really fault that one. Good job.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2325626)   #213
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No you haven't all gone Mad...I've split my Seahorse track and discussion over to It's own thread as it was detracting from TW's own designs
Old 3 Nov 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2326667)   #214
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I'll be there ASAP.

Thx for the good words, guys.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2327611)   #215
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
I'll post my next track after mattt's put his edit in.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2328014)   #216
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first corner is slightly cambered

This is a shorter track rather than the loop, instead of the chicaney type first corner
Attached Thumbnails
twedit.jpg  
Old 4 Nov 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2328107)   #217
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like what Matt has done, though it does raise the arguement about the bridge blocking the view on the approach to the short T1.

I didn't comment on this design, when first posted so...

Generally I like the shape when seen as a track rather than a street circuit. I'd have opened up the space 10/11/12 and the back of the grandstand to create a longer run between 13 and 14 but this would take away from the street circuit shape.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2344136)   #218
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Time to crank up this thread.

The next one I've done is sort of like what I did with Bilbao a while back. This one is called Espacio del Motor at Pinto outside of Madrid I think.

Now this was originally a Tilke design (not exactly a good start) which boasted a F1-spec figure-of-eight GP circuit inside a tri-oval, intended to start construction in 2007. A few years ago, I was looking through the proposals section of racingcircuits.net when I stumbled upon it. I liked the shape, but to me, it wasn't perfect, so I did a bit of tinkering with it, finally ending up changing the shape round a bit and scrapping the idea of a tri-oval round the outside. The length of the proposal is unknown to me, but I just came up with an arbitrary number for that part. Pictures are available on www.tilke-ac.de/ including more information on the dimensions, estimates on crowd capacity and other things.

First up is the proposal, then my figure-of-eight take on Pinto, and then for a change I did a non-figure of eight version. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Pinto Espacio del Motor.gif   Pinto Espacio del Motor fig. of 8.jpg   Pinto Espacio del Motor non-fig. of 8.jpg  

Old 30 Nov 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2344395)   #219
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
I prefer the non figure of 8
Old 1 Dec 2008, 01:28 (Ref:2344573)   #220
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
me too but they are both still good
Old 2 Dec 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2345433)   #221
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Thx matt, tlongman. Keep 'em comin' guys.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 04:54 (Ref:2348617)   #222
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both versions have their advantages but either way, nicely done. Definitely better than the proposal!
Old 6 Dec 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2348681)   #223
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Thx. You must be due for a new track soon too Stiggy.

I'll put my next one on now I think. This one is sort of like a tribute track, my 1st of 2 tribute tracks in my collection currently. This one is called the (Michael) Schumacher Ring. Obviously located in Germany somewhere, maybe outside Berlin. I felt I had to do a track in honour of Schuey because he's my favourite driver ever and I've been a big fan since I was 8.

I should point out that there is a missing bridge between turns 3 and 4, the pit lane wouldn't be that far in from the S/F straight and the paddock area can be bigger. Thanks to some changes at the original turn 15 (hairpin) which is now 15 and 16, the paddock has more room.

As for elevation changes, excluding the rise for the overpass, at about turn 9, the track would descend gently (not just a light dip, a proper elevation change.) and then return upwardsat about turn 10 and reach a sort of plateau at 11 and 12, descend again, slightly steep at first but flattens out heading down to 15 and 16, another gradual rise to 17 and down through 18 and flat again.

I got some inspiration from Zandvoort because I wanted the long main straight, Tarzan-bocht like 1st corner and the end bit (17 and 18) to be like the end of the current Zandvoort. Enjoy.

BTW, I bet no-one's been to that Tilke website either.
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher Ring.jpg  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 6 Dec 2008 at 08:36.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2348884)   #224
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Nice attempt. 1 to 5 is a little busy for my liking, but otherwise, it's fine.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2348897)   #225
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Not sure why you'd want a bridge at 3-4 ?

If the run from 6-7 is over a bridge, then it's easy enough to include a second span over an access road that allows access to the T8 Grandstands. This access road could also extend into the paddock.