Old 14 Sep 2001, 08:09 (Ref:145940)   #1
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika to "take a break" - story confirmed

Here is a press release from McLaren - my thoughts at the bottom

Raikkonen signs for McLaren

Kimi Raikkonen has replaced Mika Hakkinen at McLaren, joining David Coulthard for 2002.

The West McLaren Mercedes team is delighted to announce that its driver line-up for 2002 will be David Coulthard, Kimi Raikkonen and Alexander Wurz.

After 11 years in Formula One and two Formula One World Championships Mika Hakkinen will take a break following the end of the current season to allow him to dedicate more time to family life.

David Coulthard will commence his seventh season with the intention of improving upon his current second place position in the Formula One World Championship.

The team is particularly pleased to announce that it has been able to secure the services of the highly talented 21-year-old Finn, Kimi Raikkonen. Kimi will be at the wheel of a West McLaren Mercedes for the first time at the start of testing in early January 2002.

David and Kimi will be supported by Alexander Wurz, who will continue as the West McLaren Mercedes team's third driver.

Mika Hakkinen 'Formula One has been virtually my whole life since I started karting in 1974. The intensity of my career has become increasingly difficult for those around me. Whilst this year has been difficult for me and the team, these experiences have not guided the decision to take this break. I asked the team for a break which would be a good way to recharge my batteries and enjoy more time with my wife Erja and my son Hugo. I'm pleased to welcome a fellow Finn to the team and I wish Kimi all the best. However let's not forget that there are three races left for me this year, and I have every intention of going flat out. Of course it might have been easier to retire, but that just isn't a decision I feel ready to take. I know that I will have to work hard to return after my break but I know that I want to return with West McLaren Mercedes.'

David Coulthard: 'My contract with the team was agreed a few months ago and I'm looking forward to next year's Championship challenge. Mika and myself have been teammates for six years - the longest ever in Formula One and we have worked well and competed hard and I understand his reasons for having a break. Thanks to Mika, I have gained valuable insight into fast Finns, which I'm sure will be useful next year.'

Kimi Raikkonen: 'I'm pleased to have achieved several point scoring finishes with the Sauber team after they gave me the chance to show what I could do in Formula One. I really want to thank Peter for helping me to take the opportunity to drive for West McLaren Mercedes next year. However until then, I will do everything I can to help the Sauber team retaining their fourth place in the Formula One Constructors' World Championship.'

Alexander Wurz: 'Obviously I'm disappointed not to have achieved one of the two principal seats in the team. I understand, however, that I came very close to achieving my goal of racing for West McLaren Mercedes and I'm pleased that the team has recognised my contribution through this year and re-affirmed their commitment to me for the coming season. It has been made clear that the team will support my career and whilst I will continue to gain valuable experience in such a good organisation, they will ensure that I will be ready if a competitive opportunity arises.'

Ron Dennis: 'Mika has been a part of the team for nine years and after 159 races, 26 pole positions and 19 race wins, he decided that he wanted a break. Mika has always done an incredible job for us and now is not the time to be bidding him farewell. Whilst we have had a range of interesting options for 2002 we are very pleased to announce our driver line-up with David, Kimi and Alex. Kimi's outstanding performances in what is only his first year in Formula One have obviously resulted in a lot of attention although from the initial discussions we made it clear that we would only be interested if a solution could be reached with Red Bull Sauber Petronas. We were extremely pleased therefore that partly as a result of Peter Sauber's good relationship with Professor Hubbert of Mercedes-Benz, we have been able to reach a professional conclusion. We are also pleased to continue our relationship with David, who has shown that he can win races and is obviously a strong Championship contender. Alex's loyalty is appreciated by everybody in the team and can ultimately only help in furthering his career.'

Norbert Haug: 'Today is a day with mixed emotions. Mercedes-Benz has a great relationship with Mika and he is a valued member of the family and not only because he has won two World Championships with West McLaren Mercedes. We have a lot of memories together and we want to thank Mika for all he has done for Mercedes-Benz and West McLaren Mercedes. We would like to welcome Kimi to the team who in his first Formula One season impressed all of us very much and we are looking forward to working with him. David, having done a great job for the team for years, will be even stronger next year and I'm sure that Alex will continue to contribute to the team's performance in the efficient way he did this year.'

Suzy's thoughts

I am glad this is out in the open. I have to confess that I've known since mid-June that this was happening and had to keep it quiet. So, Bella, MF and the rest of you guys who I spoke to at the August test, it was right. It's been really hard as so many people have been asking me what's been going on and I've had to fudge it.

I was first told in confidence by a colleague of Mika's in June; it was "confirmed" to me during the August test session (when I was with you lot) and the final confirmation for me came at Spa when Kimi's parents (that's who they were MF) told a friend of mine to not worry about buying any Kimi stuff as McLaren stuff would be suitable!

I think he'll take the advisory role I saw in my "crystal ball" as I don't think he'll be able to stay away for long; he likes driving too much.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 08:24 (Ref:145946)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow!! Go Kimi! My new favourite driver
Old 14 Sep 2001, 08:34 (Ref:145951)   #3
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is quite dramatic news. It will be good to see Kimi at McLaren next season, presumably with DC as No. 1 (champion???).
Old 14 Sep 2001, 08:36 (Ref:145952)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sad to see Mika go. Enjoyed his racing ever since he started in F1. He became one of my favorites through 1997 when so many race wins where denied through car unreliabilty and bad luck. The main reason I liked him was that he was bloody quick.

I also enjoyed the (maily British) press' inability to actually understand him. Might have had something to do with them trying to build up his team mate! Dry wit in press conferences that went over Jim Rosentiles head!

Glad he's doing what he wants!

I am also looking forward to seeing Kimi in the McLaren. Should be interesting. Is the swap because Ron Dennis was told he needs to finnish? Sorry poor joke.

I wonder if Niki will retire completely after he sees how much he is enjoying his new life, or if he'll do a Niki? I would quite like to see him join another team when he came back, but I'll miss the sight of him in a McLaren.

Anyway I was at Spa last year and that will clearly stick in my mind.

Cheers Mika
Old 14 Sep 2001, 09:53 (Ref:145957)   #5
AGGY
Racer

AGGY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyF
This is quite dramatic news. It will be good to see Kimi at McLaren next season, presumably with DC as No. 1 (champion???).
I think DC is going to be relegated to no2 fairly quickly,and shown up by Kimi,i`m very pleased for Kimi,but don`t see Maclaren as a threat for WDC next year.

Disappointed by Mika`s retirement,maybe he will make a comeback...either way,sad to lose a top driver.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 10:42 (Ref:145967)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
This is great for Kimi - just wait and watch him absolutely blitz DC in 2002! And as for Mika, I can't see him actually coming back after his "break" in 2002 - I just don't think he has the motivation anymore.

I think it's a bit of a slap in the face for Heidfeld though - test driver for two years, won the F3000 championship for them and yet there's no sign of a contract for him. Hopefully he'll replace DC for 2003.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 10:55 (Ref:145974)   #7
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i really don't like to see mika retire so early, but kimi going to mclaren will be very interesting to watch and follow.

1. we'll see how DC will perform beside a junior teammate.

2. we'll see how kimi will perform against JPM, fellow 2nd year F1 driver on a top car

3. we'll see how kimi will perform against other top car with more experience than him

GO KIMI!!
Old 14 Sep 2001, 10:58 (Ref:145977)   #8
f1grandprixshop
Veteran

f1grandprixshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AGGY

I think DC is going to be relegated to no2 fairly quickly,and shown up by Kimi,i`m very pleased for Kimi,but don`t see Maclaren as a threat for WDC next year.

i would like to see that happening!
Old 14 Sep 2001, 11:19 (Ref:145990)   #9
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope kimi will be the No:1 driver. GO KIMI GO!!!!
Old 14 Sep 2001, 11:29 (Ref:145993)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be fair on DC.I'm an aussie and for some reason we are called aussie battlers (take a look at webber's struggle over the last few years), and DC has had a pretty much uphill battle in the last few years, all the best to him.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 11:38 (Ref:145994)   #11
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember when Alain Prost had a year break in 92 he then became 93 champion so thats want probleys going 2 happen 2 Mika
Old 14 Sep 2001, 11:50 (Ref:145996)   #12
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Hakkinen will come back. McLaren are now looking to the future with Kimi Raikkonen.

Hakkinen has been pants this season so McLaren must be relieved that Hakkinen is stepping down...
Old 14 Sep 2001, 12:17 (Ref:146017)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Relieved that they have lost the guy who brought them two world championships.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 12:29 (Ref:146021)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KIMI KIMI KIMI!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Wow!! Go Kimi! My new favourite driver
As I suspected - the bandwagon is already overflowing .

Watch out DC - my boy is gonna whup your a**...

Old 14 Sep 2001, 12:52 (Ref:146030)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I ain't jumping on any bandwagon. I'm a Mika supporter through and through, and will be jumping on the Heidfeld bandwagon (a driver I already follow anyway) when Mika races his last grand prix on October 14, 2001.

Mika has been my favourite driver for years now, and it's a sad day for myself and many of his fans that he is retiring, and also retiring after having such an awful season.

I (and everyone else I'm sure) would have preferred to see Mika go out on a high, such as at least fighting for a WDC or at least gaining some race wins. However, there are still three races to go, and the best way for him to finish would be victory at Suzuka.

Sadly, I think break means forever too. I don't think he'll do a Prost and return next season. He's stated that he's looking forward to spending more time with the wife and kid(s) and he'll probably enjoy that so much we'll never hear from him again.

BTW, I agree that NH will be feeling a little shafted by being forgotten by McLaren. Plus, could this be a big gamble, considering his inexperience with a top team?
Old 14 Sep 2001, 13:01 (Ref:146037)   #16
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm so glad mika has decided to call it a day....he was taking up a good seat which he wasn't really taking advantage of anymore. Is a great oppertunity for Kimi too!
Old 14 Sep 2001, 13:05 (Ref:146038)   #17
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its all a load of PR ****! Mika did not want to take a break, he has already said this year that he wants to continue racing. This was another display of Ron's bullying tactics. Too much of a tight ass to pay Mika what he rightfully deserves, he then forces him to take a break rather than sign with another team. Beleive me, Mika is still on Mclarens books. Ron will be paying him next year just to sit it out. Its a way of hedging his gamble with Kimi. If either Kimi or DC fail next year, then Ron can always bring Mika back on board; an option which would not be available if Mika jumped boat. This solution pleases everyone around the Mika camp. Erja is happy because Mika will be safe while stil getting paid (although significantly less than his current $10 mil), Keke (Mika's manager) will still be making his cut, and Ron of course still has his "favourite" boy. Unfortunately, not a man to put his own needs first, Mika has agreed to this farcical arrangement. Deep down Mika still wants to win, he is not tired of racing, he is just tired of jumping into a machine which blows up every race. As loyal as ever, Mika has come out politely and said that he "wants" a break. The man who nearly died for Mclaren racing, is being forced into retirement. Mika supported Ron during the bad times, its just a shame loyalty is a one way street at Paragon.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 13:06 (Ref:146039)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi had been one of my more favourable drivers.

On one side, i am clearly happy to see his talents being recognised and him being up in a top team where his skills could shine. Hopefully, he would also prove how poorly David have been performing in his whole careeer at Mclaren. Keeping his current form, i have no doubt Kimi is going to beat David!

One the other side, i have to say i am slightly disappointed. i had wanted Kimi to go to my favourite team and take over when Michael retires. But obviously, the timing was wrong in contractual agreements. Pity. But perhaps, when Kimi's contract ends, he could make a switch when Michael retires...! together with hot Mclaren secrets...

Gosh...its abit hard for me now. My favoured driver working with the man i dislike most in F1- Ron. Hopefully, Kimi might help me like the silver arrows, we have seen the influence of Ron had ruined nice chaps like Newey...hope he doesnt do it to Kimi.

Now...come 2002. Michael in Ferrari, JPM in Williams and Kimi in Mclaren. GOsH... i'm a winner comes whatever!
Old 14 Sep 2001, 13:12 (Ref:146042)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
neutral. I'm not so sure about that little theory. There's reading between the lines, but...

...maybe I'm too naive for this world!
Old 14 Sep 2001, 13:34 (Ref:146051)   #20
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika said he wanted to continue racing, Keke begins negotiating with Mclaren on a new contract, Peter Sauber then says he's open to negotiations, and suddenly Mika now wants to take a break. It just doesnt add up for me.

Adam, reading between the lines is necessary to reveal the truth in PR statements.

Last edited by neutral; 14 Sep 2001 at 13:37.
Old 14 Sep 2001, 14:18 (Ref:146063)   #21
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: KIMI KIMI KIMI!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Minardi fan
As I suspected - the bandwagon is already overflowing
Last year was Jenson's wagon... now Kimi's...
Old 14 Sep 2001, 15:10 (Ref:146081)   #22
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that while Im happy for Kimi, Im truly sad to see Mika go. His battles with Michael have been as exciting as they come. He's probably the closest driver to Michael to drive in F1 during the last 5 years. I doubt whether he`s coming back but if he does, then I hope it's not with Mclaren.

Great opportunity for Kimi however. I think he's more talented than Button but I would`nt be surprised if he has a bit of a tough time next season. Dennis is not an ideal team boss for a young driver.
Hope he does well.

'Course this also means, that Montoya is getting closer to that Ferrari drive in 03
Old 14 Sep 2001, 15:41 (Ref:146087)   #23
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika will be back, I'm sure of it. It's McLaren's loss - if they had any sense they'd have replaced Coulthard.

2002 will be DC's last season at McLaren, and Heidfeld will replace him. (That's what I reckon... )

Kimi will (probably) never make me a McLaren fan - I shall just accept it and continue to wear this year's Sauber stuff.

Old 14 Sep 2001, 17:17 (Ref:146122)   #24
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I am also happy for Kimi, this move will show us if he really has it when the pressure of driving for a top team, and a d**k like Mr. Dennis, is brought to bear.
It's a bit of a slap in the face for Alex, but he doesn't have a lot of options, either. There are just too many good young drivers waiting for their turn.

Mania mentioned JPM in the Ferrari is a closer thing now. If Juan has a good year next year, I wonder where Fernando is going to fit in the equation? Surely he is as highly thought of as Kimi???

So many possibilities!
Old 14 Sep 2001, 20:51 (Ref:146249)   #25
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a big fan(atic) of the macs, I'm in a way sad to see Mika retiring. But, if he means what he says about being tired, then it's the best thing he can do. My personal hope is to see Mika really coming back in '03 in McLaren, and I hope his teammate would be Kimi.

No, I'm not Finnish