Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Mar 2004, 15:03 (Ref:894998)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Rob Huff

How well is Rob Huff going to do in the BTCC ?
I'm not slating Rob Huff in any way but I did think that Hodgetts was a better driver but.....hey he didin't win.

I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on how he will compare against Jason Plato etc although I'm not convinced the BTCC field is that strong anymore ?

One final thought wasn't the prize a drive in the ETCC and not BTCC

Tiptop
Old 5 Mar 2004, 16:22 (Ref:895063)   #2
btcc-lad
Rookie

btcc-lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes the prize was etcc but the british touring car championship went to etcc spec cars so thay are going to race in britan and rob should do well if the car performs and is as reliable as vauxell has been this year could be in tersting.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 16:42 (Ref:895077)   #3
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wasnt the other part of the prize a flat in monaco for a year? did he still get that, seems a bit pointless living in monaco whilst only competing in the uk?
Old 5 Mar 2004, 17:02 (Ref:895088)   #4
Paul Millard
Rookie

Paul Millard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thing he got the use of the flat and £30,000 salary drive. i also note he won teh clio scolaship a few years back so he is talented but im not going to say how well he may or may not do im just glad to have another car out
Old 5 Mar 2004, 17:21 (Ref:895101)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I think you'll find Hodgetts will be there too, and in more of a front running team
Old 5 Mar 2004, 19:13 (Ref:895197)   #6
acf8181
Racer

acf8181 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'd say that a)they'll both be in the btcc, and b)there both extremely good drivers.

however, i think rob is the more complete driver at this stage.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 20:30 (Ref:895252)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kristof14
wasnt the other part of the prize a flat in monaco for a year? did he still get that, seems a bit pointless living in monaco whilst only competing in the uk?
The flat is Plato's, who moved out there last year, so really it's a bit of a gimmick for the winner, I think Huff as 'use' of it - not as a place to live in!
Old 5 Mar 2004, 20:53 (Ref:895267)   #8
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looking at all the Seat races last year I believe Rob is the better of the two (and yes I know I am a mate of Rob's).
If you look at the races that Stefan didn't finish it was through driver mishandling of the car - his brakes failed at OP through over use? At Thruxton he punctured his tyre - again because of the way he drives.
Stefan might be quicker - his qualifying shows that but he is harder on a car and Mr Consistency always wins in the end. IMO

Now Rob V Jason - I am just waiting for JP to get in some argybargy with Yvan and co and for Rob to beat him
Old 5 Mar 2004, 21:08 (Ref:895281)   #9
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
huff seemed like a spolit little kiddie funded by his dad. He spent his time being praised by his dad and moaning. He drove well but hodges was more deserving
Old 5 Mar 2004, 23:10 (Ref:895388)   #10
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Les
looking at all the Seat races last year I believe Rob is the better of the two (and yes I know I am a mate of Rob's).
If you look at the races that Stefan didn't finish it was through driver mishandling of the car - his brakes failed at OP through over use? At Thruxton he punctured his tyre - again because of the way he drives.
How can you over use brakes? He had a failure and wasn't the only one to have problems with their brakes. And as for Thruxton, hardly a high profile meeting goes by without someone getting a big puncture - it's the nature of the place.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 23:26 (Ref:895405)   #11
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craner Curves
How can you over use brakes?
Quite easily, especially if you are a heavy left-foot braker. Its why drivers like Muller dislike Donnington, as its hard on the brakes, and even harder if you rely on the left foot braking technique as much as he does.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 23:32 (Ref:895409)   #12
JnrJnr
Racer

England
North West
JnrJnr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will hodgetts be in touring cars this year? i read in Autosport that the drive was between him and Alan Menu, and Menus has swiss manufacture support. I think hodgetts is good, but would menu not get the nod over him?
Old 5 Mar 2004, 23:38 (Ref:895412)   #13
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JnrJnr
Will hodgetts be in touring cars this year? i read in Autosport that the drive was between him and Alan Menu, and Menus has swiss manufacture support. I think hodgetts is good, but would menu not get the nod over him?
For the sake of the series it would be good to see Menu return, no disrespect to Hodgetts. As much as i hope it to happen, I just can't see the 'Menu deal' materialising...
Old 6 Mar 2004, 12:55 (Ref:895870)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Huff certainly wasn't backwards in coming forwards last year which I think will be good for the BTCC this year providing he has someone to compete with. And if there is I'm pretty sure any of the drivers in the BTCC are capable of taking the fight to him.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 19:38 (Ref:896190)   #15
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the one thing Rob Huff must do now that he is in BTCC prove himself. And judging from his commitment and competitive nature I am sure he will give it everything that he has got.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 7 Mar 2004, 10:55 (Ref:896837)   #16
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
. He drove well but hodges was more deserving
All Steff had to do was win the championship - he didn't, Rob did. Being the fastest isn't always the way to win a championship - there is something called consistency too.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 11:59 (Ref:896913)   #17
acf8181
Racer

stef made a few too many errors didn't he!
Old 7 Mar 2004, 19:12 (Ref:897309)   #18
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't say errors - I can't think of any actual errors he made but he just didn't finish when he should have. You listen to what he says and a number of times he cut short qualifying because he was on pole, because he didn't think he could go any further and because he wanted to save his tyres. He obviously knew he could be having a problem with them. And to win you have to finish.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 20:05 (Ref:897352)   #19
acf8181
Racer

well, i'd say oulton was a pretty obvious mistake...he'd had brakes fade at the previous corner (and punted james pickford off), then proceded to try and brake as per normal at the next corner!!

things like saving tyres in practice/qualifying will have been a direct result of his fathers input.
Old 7 Mar 2004, 20:11 (Ref:897358)   #20
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Steff is a nice guy - and quick too, but utterly dominated by Chris, so I tend to agree with acf8181 - Dad controls his every move in qualifying and he was spot on with the set up, even on the tyre call in qualifying. In the races Steff's errors were all his own - including Oulton where, as noted, he had already had the warning when he hit Pickford and should have been wary of his brakes for the next corner.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 12:30 (Ref:897979)   #21
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by andy_b
I think you'll find Hodgetts will be there too, and in more of a front running team
Arena has a seat available, the current trend of which drivers have got seats would suggest that Hodgetts has a fair chance.

Cant really comment on the Hodgetts vs Huff debate as i didnt see all the races or much coverage, i wanted to get the racing rivals dvd of last year but it appears to be non existent.

IMO thruxton is a very difficult track for you to have a first race, i mean its very fast, i suspect most of the btcc newbies to be behind the established drivers.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 12:54 (Ref:898005)   #22
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Huffy is a top driver, I've raced with him quite a bit and won an enduro karting championship with him back in 2001. He is a very complete driver and has a lot of experience compared to some of the other drivers in the championship and does understand that consitancy as well as speed with championships.

Hodgetts is a blooming good driver as well, he just suffered from a lot of bad look and a few mistakes but will definatly get there.

Both deserved to win but in the end they both will as Hodgetts will end up in Touring Cars anyway based on talent, Huffy just got there a little quicker.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 14:06 (Ref:898087)   #23
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But this deal is only for 2004, so unless Huff impresses, his BTCC career could well be over!!
Old 8 Mar 2004, 14:09 (Ref:898094)   #24
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As we well know successful year or not, funding is what counts.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 14:16 (Ref:898102)   #25
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
btcc-thunder why don't you tape the series that is repeated over and over again on Bravo I now know the series off by heart as it's on all the bloody time!!!