Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 May 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3406960)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Le Mans World Cup Thread

Having seen Simon's thread on archaeology, I understand how tiresome the World Cup build-up can be for those not interested in the football. So how's about a thread for the World Cup at Le Mans which doesn't affect the others?

Major football tournaments and Le Mans are a frequent conundrum. So what do people usually do to watch matches?

In the past, we've gone into the City and found a bar or tabac screening it. Does the Tetre Rouge cafe show anything? Will the village have the England game on again? I wouldn't be too bothered if I miss the Italy match, but by the same token, I could take my usual break into the village a little earlier to accommodate it...
Old 16 May 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3406974)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd be surprised if some of the big guns weren't showing the games in the village. I suppose for the late ones like England a lot depends on whether they'll have staff up to run/police the stand. Like you John-Mark I'm torn about the Italy game. Want to watch the race but I'll definitely stay across it. I know Hindy and the boys will be too.

I doesn't have to affect your enjoyment of the weekend at all. For others it just adds to the race week buzz.

Spain vs Holland is at 9pm on the Friday. Repeat of last year's final. Nice opportunity to have a few beers after the driver parade. If anyone's up for it let us know.

These are the games on during the event. Some at more convenient times than others:

Thursday 12 June 2014
Brazil v Croatia, Arena de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, 22:00

Friday 13 June 2014
Mexico v Cameroon, Arena das Dunas, Natal, 18:00
Spain v Netherlands, Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador, 21:00
Chile v Australia, Arena Pantanal, Cuiaba, 00:00

Saturday 14 June 2014
Colombia v Greece, Estadio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte, 18:00
Uruguay v Costa Rica, Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza, 21:00
England v Italy, Arena Amazonia, Manaus, 00:00

Sunday 15 June 2014
Ivory Coast v Japan, Arena Pernambuco, Recife, 03:00
Switzerland v Ecuador, Estadio Nacional, Brasilia, 18:00
France v Honduras, Estadio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre, 21:00
Argentina v Bosnia-Hercegovina, Estadio do Maracana, Rio de Janeiro, 00:00
Old 16 May 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3406980)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
How can you even think of football at a time like this, you have 51 weeks of overpaid blokes kicking an inflated pigs bladder around a patch of grass, and anyway the ball is the wrong shape for real sport,
Old 16 May 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3406985)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haha. Hey you've got your thread (that's very existence contradicts its message) and we've got ours.
Old 16 May 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3406990)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Ok i will give you that, i will not post anymore of my fanatical ravings against soccer here
Old 16 May 2014, 16:57 (Ref:3406991)   #6
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
One of my greatest memories of my only other trip to Le Mans in 2012 was because of the Euro Cup game on the Friday night. If I remember correctly it was England vs. Sweden.

Like this year I was staying in the Travel Destinations Porsche Curves campsite. My fellow American friends and I had been at the Drivers Parade earlier that day and came back to the campsite just before the soccer match (sorry, football) was set to begin. I was in the tent and it was rapidly filling up with an ungodly amount of people speaking a strange form of English. I think they drove in sitting on the wrong side of the car too.

Anyway, I decided that since I didn't care about the outcome nearly as much as these fellows I would stand outside the tent and watch the match through the open canopy door on one of the two big screen TVs that were set up inside. Before I knew it there were several other people standing outside like I was because the tent had filled beyond capacity. It was a great environment and I was really enjoying myself. Then the r@*n got heavier and the wind picked up. The folks that were inside the tent wanted the doors closed so that they wouldn't get wet. Silly me, I thought these tough British people were used to a little rain and wouldn't be such pansies about getting a little wet. But no, quickly an argument started between those of us outside who wanted to watch the match, and those inside who didn't want to get their knickers wet. The flap was repeatedly pulled down and then up again. Before I knew it people were literally choking one another and putting their fists up.

I just sat back and laughed, we were all rooting for the same team, right? Only a bunch of Brits would go to blows at watching a soccer match while all rooting for the same team!

Again, a highlight of my week and the reason I am disappointed that the England match is on during the race.
Old 16 May 2014, 17:04 (Ref:3406993)   #7
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I still think Audi were brave for letting a massive crowd stand around the R18 on their stand. Same game. Atmosphere was great despite the rain. Also fair play to Audi for putting on football songs during half-time.

They 'got it' and I think that endeared them to a lot of people.
Old 16 May 2014, 17:11 (Ref:3406997)   #8
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I'll probably have the matches on my tablet with Le Mans info, flicking between them (LM streaming on my PC). Small comfort for no being able to make it, but I won't be missing out on Pirlo effortlessly running the show in a comfortable Italy win.

I wonder if any drivers will make sure their stints don't clash with their countries' match ...
Old 16 May 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3407002)   #9
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'm sure Di Grassi will be saying "Loic you've got this" on Thursday night qualifying.
Old 16 May 2014, 18:09 (Ref:3407011)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like football, although watch very little. I'll catch some now again on the box when there's nothing happening at the circuit. But once cars are on track, I've no interest - but I'm happy for you to have!
Old 17 May 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3407237)   #11
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Spain vs Holland is at 9pm on the Friday. Repeat of last year's final. Nice opportunity to have a few beers after the driver parade. If anyone's up for it let us know.
For campsite atmosphere, unless you're the early-night sort, you'd want either Holland, Denmark or England playing on that Friday night.

I'm sure there'll be a Dutch camp screening it somewhere on Houx.
Old 17 May 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3407241)   #12
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Having seen Simon's thread on archaeology, I understand how tiresome the World Cup build-up can be for those not interested in the football. So how's about a thread for the World Cup at Le Mans which doesn't affect the others?

Major football tournaments and Le Mans are a frequent conundrum. So what do people usually do to watch matches?

In the past, we've gone into the City and found a bar or tabac screening it. Does the Tetre Rouge cafe show anything? Will the village have the England game on again? I wouldn't be too bothered if I miss the Italy match, but by the same token, I could take my usual break into the village a little earlier to accommodate it...
They did last time, I remember watching the Germany v Australia match in there in 2010.
It was a good atmosphere, until Germany started racking up the score
Old 17 May 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3407281)   #13
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this the cafe on the outside of the track across the road from Parking Rouge? Or not?
Old 17 May 2014, 18:26 (Ref:3407296)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Is this the cafe on the outside of the track across the road from Parking Rouge? Or not?
No that is janines i think, the Tertre rouge bar is close to the enterance for TR under the bridge, but both will show football i am sure
Old 17 May 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3407307)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jeannine - Au Portes du Circuit

This is quite useful.....

http://www.clubarnage.com/wiki/doku....rs-restaurants
Old 18 May 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3407495)   #16
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, Ayse. Personally not bothered about the footy but some of my party may well be.
Old 19 May 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3407772)   #17
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I still think Audi were brave for letting a massive crowd stand around the R18 on their stand. Same game. Atmosphere was great despite the rain. Also fair play to Audi for putting on football songs during half-time.

They did have to shift a few of the more... inebriated fans off the stand with the R18 on after they climbed on it for a better view.
Old 20 May 2014, 19:48 (Ref:3408379)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Thanks, Ayse. Personally not bothered about the footy but some of my party may well be.
That's fine Mike, but if there are cars out on track, it is your personal duty to ensure they are suitably re-educated........
Old 21 May 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3408776)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Oh is THAT why they're pushing mahoosive 3D TVs at the moment. I did think they'd be lucky to get enough LM fans to justify the ads...
Old 22 May 2014, 11:59 (Ref:3408965)   #20
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
That's fine Mike, but if there are cars out on track, it is your personal duty to ensure they are suitably re-educated........
I'm not doing too badly so far. This will be my third LM trip (fourth if you count the Classic in 2012), and I have managed to bring someone new each time and they have either returned with me or wanted to but circumstances have prevented it.
My two newbies this year may be tougher nuts to crack as they have no interest in motor racing whatsoever. On the other hand, they volunteered to come with no arm twisting from me!
Old 22 May 2014, 17:35 (Ref:3409047)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's always interesting to view the reactions of the newbies. Over my 24 years as a 'Tourist', we obviously took many Le Mans 'virgins' with us. Dozens, in fact. Of those, only about 4-5 had no apparent interest in coming back again. I think 3-4 of those are still in therapy.........
Old 22 May 2014, 18:01 (Ref:3409054)   #22
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My girlfriend will be coming this year, never been to a motor race ever (BTCC at Oulton will be her first time). We'll see how much she enjoys it, and whether she can make her sister jealous by seeing 'Doctor Gorgeous' at all
Old 22 May 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3409056)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
We'll see how much she enjoys it, and whether she can make her sister jealous by seeing 'Doctor Gorgeous' at all

Well, I never, I thought GT6 was Simon's only nickname............!
Old 22 May 2014, 18:13 (Ref:3409061)   #24
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I quiet like that
Old 22 May 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3409085)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sssshhhh then.......