Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2001, 12:48 (Ref:187269)   #1
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan losing Honda?

So what does this new 3 year Honda BAR deal mean for Jordan? Honda stated that they will concentrate on one team only, and now it appears that team will be BAR. Damn.

I hope Eddie has something on the cards. VW?
Old 18 Dec 2001, 13:03 (Ref:187273)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought that VW said they weren't going to do F1 in the near future despite their boss being a fan.

Honda might be attracted by the tie up with Prodrive that now exists.

I think I would choose BAR over Jordan if I was Honda. There seems to be more chance of a technical collaborations. But it's a close call.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 13:05 (Ref:187274)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
How long does Eddy's Honda contract have to run. Is it just 2002 or beyond?
Old 18 Dec 2001, 13:39 (Ref:187278)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, that's it.

HONDA will stay with BAR, and Eddie will look for a new engine deal after 2002.

Without Pollock and full support from HONDA, will BAR start to rise ?
Old 18 Dec 2001, 14:06 (Ref:187290)   #5
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Honda does have more chances in making up a team for them being with BAR, than being with Jordan.
BAR must leave the circus coz of the cigars ban and Who else than HONDA to take their place?
Old 18 Dec 2001, 14:41 (Ref:187299)   #6
ParkLife
Racer

I think Jordan's contract with Honda runs out at the end of this season. I don't know, I can't see Jordan being left with nothing by Honda at the end of the year though, that doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps they will carry on with the two teams or maybe something will happen with Mugen.

Other than that, I don't really see many other options. VW may say they aren't interested in F1 at the moment, but the rumours wont go away. I can't see Jordan going back to a customer engine, so I would imagine that there will be something lined up if Honda do leave.

And don't forget that we haven't had full details on this new deal with BAR yet. Perhaps Honda will continue with both teams for 03 and there is a performance clause in the contract. Providing both teams are getting the same treatment for this year, I think the Jordan really will show up the BAR 004.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 15:16 (Ref:187311)   #7
Spiddy-Spid
Rookie

Spiddy-Spid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...And what does all of this mean for Sato??

If Honda are going to dump Jordan at the end of the year, Jordan have no need to keep Sato.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 15:25 (Ref:187317)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He'll probably stay at Jordan (provided he does well enough this year). I think that Sato warrants a place in F1 anyway. He has shown the potential. It's just whether he fulfils it or not...
Old 18 Dec 2001, 15:40 (Ref:187324)   #9
Spiddy-Spid
Rookie

Spiddy-Spid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyway, where does it say about Honda staying with BAR for three years? I can't see anything on any websites...?
Old 18 Dec 2001, 15:58 (Ref:187330)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes its on Reuters, when they made the announcement about Fakuda they also announced a new three year deal with Honda.

My guess is that if Jordan and Sato do well this year and beat BAR, then Honda will supply both teams for another year or two. When the tobacco ban does come into force then Honda may put in a bid for BAR, but not before.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 16:48 (Ref:187345)   #11
Kelstea
Rookie

Kelstea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Talking of Jordans
Newly painted lorries and on the side
'Jordan Honda'
something old,something missing
who will be the something new?
Old 18 Dec 2001, 17:16 (Ref:187351)   #12
ParkLife
Racer

Eddie has had a few words to say today:

“Jordan Grand Prix has just completed the first year of a three-year contract with Honda. At a meeting of the two companies last Friday, both parties re-affirmed their commitment to this agreement. An option exists for the supply to be extended for 2004 and 2005 and this will be discussed at the appropriate time."

Eddie Jordan, Chief Executive of Jordan Grand Prix said: ‘Today’s announcement and our own contract confirms Honda’s total commitment to Formula 1 for the long term which is good for the sport and for both Jordan and BAR. Honda has an unrivalled record in Formula 1, and from 2002 will be putting even more resources into the programme.’

So maybe it's not that bad for Jordan after all. If they have another two years to run, and perhaps we will be looking at a different situation then. Of course, he doesn't state that the contract says they will have the same engines as BAR, they could be supplied with older ones after all.
Old 18 Dec 2001, 18:51 (Ref:187372)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Honda has made the right decision and they should concentrate their efforts on BAR now .And JV
Old 18 Dec 2001, 20:39 (Ref:187418)   #14
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope it all works out for JV
Old 18 Dec 2001, 22:13 (Ref:187446)   #15
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All this 'Honda will only supply one team' talk is pure speculation. All throughout last year the press were pushing this angle that Honda would drop Jordan or BAR for 2002, even though Honda were insisting they would not. There hasn't been any official word that Honda will cut their ties with Jordan after 2002. Remember Honda supplied two competitive teams before they left in 92, as did Renault ‘til 97. I think they will see out any contract they have. If Jordan have a 3 year deal, you can expect it to be Jordan-Honda until the end of 2003.

Last edited by Raven; 18 Dec 2001 at 22:15.