Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 26 Sep 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1720483)   #1
Wolfgang
Rookie

Germany
Hannover
Wolfgang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lola T290

I build up a list about LOLA T290 raced in 1972 with chassic numers at: http://www.racecar-collection.com/T290-history.jsp

Informations are missing about some cars:

HU 004, may be the car was raced by Giorgio Danieli in Vallelunga 23.4.1972?

HU 007 was sold to Mr. Osella at 5.5.1972, who raced this car in 1972?

HU 012, is this the car Antonio Zadra drove at Targa Florio 21.5.72?

HU 016, no information from 1972!!

There are more questions, I hope you have a lot of anwers .....

Wolfgang
Old 28 Sep 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1721927)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone help Wolfgang here? I note that there are question marks against some of the other chassis numbers on the list, too. Can we expand on this info. to provide broader histories for these cars?
Old 3 Oct 2006, 00:15 (Ref:1725806)   #3
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the list is my list i made the past 12 months working from martin krecji list with my extra input bounced onto MK for comments and info ive found

the questions wolfgang has raised are questions ive raised on zadra car ( i ws looking at buying it) and the hu7 car i believe is the osella abarth engined car driven by facetti now in usa with ford power
hu4 does not seem to show up from the records or race result info from AS or web pages

i know who had what car in japan and im keeping it to myself
Old 3 Oct 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1725967)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
the list is my list i made the past 12 months working from martin krecji list with my extra input bounced onto MK for comments and info ive found
Are you saying that we shouldn't be using this source of info, here, drifty?

Quote:
So, exactly how does this help us build the archive, then?
Old 3 Oct 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1726026)   #5
driftwood
Veteran

im not mentioned nor is Mk in the "credits" so im making my point known that when he wins an oscar that he doesnt forget me in his acceptance speach

i made the list for my own reference whilst researching a certain chassis number and worked off MK list on his wspr site

i mailed MK with my "findings" asked a few other posters on this site directly for info
i mailed a few people the list for our own self gratification and Wolfgang was 1 of them as he has the original JoBo hu2 car

i dont have major qualms over the list but im sure you get my "drift" ( no pun intend and no taken) that he has not done the grafting MK did the extensive research and im alwys keen to press that point and i filled in many gaps or corrected a few "errors" or added extra info

So MK and i can share the laurels not Wolfgang !
As my mother would say
" its abloody cheek!"

Im sure my point has now been made I have not asked MK for his view but Im sure he will concurr
Old 3 Oct 2006, 11:55 (Ref:1726283)   #6
Wolfgang
Rookie

Germany
Hannover
List T290 1972

At first a little bit background:
My busines interests have nothing to do with cars, racecars are just my private hobby since a long time. I startet middle of the 60th with ralleys, drove in the 70th slalom and drove since the 80th on racetracks modern cars. 1989 I race the first time a historic racecar and have much fun with my little ELVA. 1994 I race the last time a modern Porsche at Daytona. My Lola T290 I race since 1994. In the meantime there are new rules for historic cars. We have to sorted out the history of our cars without gaps for the Heritage Papers! If we dont do this job we have to race in future against modern replikas like new Chevron B16 (sorry Helen and Vin)!!

Some years ago I startet a private internet-site to share my private pictures of my historic cars with the internet community. There are monthly more than 100.000 hits. (in the meantime I host for a friend the story of a modern LMS car). Some month ago I started the T290 list about the drivers who drove a T290 in 1972 with pics from 1972 and frome today. I collect information from racecar books, magasines and from the internet. The site of Mr. Roman Krejci is a excellence work and very helpful to cross scheck informations, my complements to Mr. Kejci! I try in my T290 list to clear up the year 1972, to have for everyone a base for historic papers, I dont want to make somebody angry, I only collect public informations and try to give correct infos about copyright of the shown pics.

Excuse to everone, special to Mr. Driftwood .........

Wolfgang
Old 3 Oct 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1726422)   #7
Wolfgang
Rookie

Germany
Hannover
Quote:

the questions wolfgang has raised are questions ive raised on zadra car ( i ws looking at buying it) and the hu7 car i believe is the osella abarth engined car driven by facetti now in usa with ford power
hu4 does not seem to show up from the records or race result info from AS or web pages

driftwood, what do you meen "the list is my list"? I never see or get a list from you! There are a lot of questions round the T290 in 1972. I get a lot of information from Alain Hache and other community members.

Why you are sure the Facetti car is HU7? Carlo Facetti race in Vallelunga at the 23.4. the car of Mr. Osella with the Abarth engine, Autosport write 13.4.1972 on page 8/9: "...Althrough Osella's chlaimed power figures are just about the same as the good FVC ... So far two of the engines are complete while 10 more await parts depenting ...These will be fitted into Lola chassis including for the works cars .... driven bei Toine Hezemans who was not too happy for this rae as he was expecting one of the new Lola Abarth T290s by this time, but which now will probably not be ready until Vallelunga." BONNIER sale the T290 HU7 at 5th May 1972 to Osella and Mr Osella must have a T290 latest beginnung of April!! A mean a higher chance to be the Facetti car has HU4, BONNIERE get HU4 in February, HU7 beginning of April.
Wolfgang
Old 3 Oct 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1726445)   #8
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wolfgang

Welcome to 10 Tenths. I think all drifty means is that he contributed to the list that Martin Krejci published and now belongs to classiscars. As you will have used that in your research, some of the information you have will have come from drifty.

I am impressed by the breadth of your sources. I hope we can help you with your research.

Allen
Old 3 Oct 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1726449)   #9
driftwood
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
driftwood, what do you meen "the list is my list"? I never see or get a list from you! There are a lot of questions round the T290 in 1972. I get a lot of information from Alain Hache and other community members
Oh yes, you did; I can mail it to you again !!
I sent the list to people like Alain for comments, but anyway I'm not going to split hairs.
I am making the point that I had a list from Krecjis site that I amended and you now raise questions from!!

HU4 has no info so it is a mystery. However I think that JoBo kept the 1st 5 cars for his own team drivers and customers got the next built cars?
SO FAR NO ONE HAS FOUND hu4 CAR RACING !!

I made an educated guess at Osella having hu7 with Abarth engine as the car was used twice?
On Krecjis list, Osella had 3 cars but I think 2 are the Minel racing cars. I have tried to contact Osella directly for info but no reply yet. I even asked Italian historic racer for help but still no info yet

There are other records of Lola 290 Abarth running in later years and I have French hillclimb ( FIA round) with Italian driver in 290 Abarth. We do not actually know how many cars ran with Abarth engines. Even the Moser/Nicodemi car ran Abarth and Ford power and I await Mosers mechanic meeting Tonio to ask the question of the engine fitted to his car hu20 for TF 1972 race.

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Jan 2007 at 11:51. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 3 Oct 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1726501)   #10
Wolfgang
Rookie

Germany
Hannover
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
Wolfgang

Welcome to 10 Tenths. I think all drifty means is that he contributed to the list that Martin Krejci published and now belongs to classiscars. As you will have used that in your research, some of the information you have will have come from drifty.

I am impressed by the breadth of your sources. I hope we can help you with your research.

Allen
Thank you Allen for your welcome! I know the list of Martin Kejci, but I use a handwritten list about the dates of T290 cars (chassic-number, invoice date, colour, destination, dealer etc, but no owner ). The most information fit to the list of Martin Kejci, but not all. I am pleased about every one who share his informations and pictures with the internet community and say "thank you" in advance! Wolfgang
Old 3 Oct 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1726518)   #11
driftwood
Veteran

all cars went to Bonnier from factory as he was the agent only 1 car sold to UK for Guy edwards team so all Lola file will have is the chassis number body colour and delivery date
You need Bonnier/Mader sales file for the customer of each car

Krecji created his list 4 years ago i gave alterartions this year of my research into 1 particular chassis number i was searching then i find Mosers mechanic and he told me about the 2 lolas he prepared for Silvio and i eliminated many cars that martin had wrong info on as some of these cars are now in UK

so only 3 or cars are un accounted for hu4 prior to the italians running the car
hu 1
hu 12 i made the comment that zadra may hav erace dthis car on TF as his car crashed at vallelunga race and the TF race report said Zadra in a new car ( however he could have a new tub and rebuilt car for TF ? it needs the factory records to advise if they sold new tub around this time or in fact Zadra had anew car) he returns to french race in his original hu8 car

so far hu 16 has no info
I am puzzled on the 2 or 3 cars that went to usa where did they race them
later 294 cars raced in Can Am events
i have heard that some 290 cars where scrapped in mid 70 early 80`s old cars no where to race them these USA cars have not surfaced
Old 3 Oct 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1726548)   #12
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars that went to the USA were eligible for BSR and raced in SCCA Nationals. Pete Harrison (Atlanta, GA) won the Run-Offs that year in one and Mike Hall (Chicago, IL) also raced one in Central Division. I don't know where the third one went. Hall retained his for 1973 and then got a T294 - which may have been his T290 upgraded.

HU27 was Carl Thompson's 1975 and 1976 car ('76 Run-Offs winner) which then went to Warren Purdy for the new Can-Am. Thompson was from Wilmington, DE. Another of the US cars, HU34, went to Dave Johnson for 1976 but again we haven't figured out its first owner. The third, HU28, has vanished (for now).

Allen
Old 3 Oct 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1726563)   #13
Wolfgang
Rookie

Germany
Hannover
My records mean that 3 T290 was sold from LOLA in GBin 1972: HU22, HU26 and HU29. Mr Guy Edwards race the T290 1.4.72 in Snetterton, but Lola sale HU22 at the 30.3. to Mr. Edwards! HU1 was shown Januar 72 in Paris, "Mr. Edwards did much of the development worK" (source: LOLA the illustrated history..). He win Snetterton, do he race HU1 ?? It was the first race of a T290 and the car was well sorted, nearly unpossible without testing the car. HU1 is my tip!!!!

I hope to recive the "Bonnier list" next month ...

Wolfgang
Old 3 Oct 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1726707)   #14
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Wolfgang

Have you checked for T290s in French and Italian hillclimbs?

Allen
Old 3 Oct 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1726715)   #15
driftwood
Veteran

HU27 was Carl Thompson's 1975 and 1976 car ('76 Run-Offs winner long time after 1972 when car was sold so what did it do for 3 years?
Hall retained his for 1973 and then got a T294 - which may have been his T290 upgraded. To upgarde would be cheaper than selling 290 and buying 294 it was bodywork and rear uprights 2 rear wheels 290 car had Girling AR calipres 292 onwards AP as std but they where a factory upgrade option
BSR and raced in SCCA Nationals what are these events?? tell me more

was the 280 raced in december 71 at Temporada or was it the 290?
Old 3 Oct 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1726723)   #16
driftwood
Veteran

i found 1 or 2 cars on italian site i even found 1 in italian book i bought but finding an italian who can answer via email is difficult as they say they look at same webs we do!
im waiting for 1 man to speak to prep shop owner who knows who had what car in italy
Old 3 Oct 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1726796)   #17
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

BSR is "B Sports Racing", the SCCA's second division of sports car racing for cars up to 2 litres. It started around 1967 with Porsche 911s and the occasional Brabham BT8 and was chock full of Lolas and Chevrons by 1976. It was allowed into Can-Am in 1977 as the second class and continued in that form until at least 1986. A Lola T290 and a Chevron B21 competed as late as 1986. By that time a 2-litre sports could also be used in historics which is where most Can-Am cars went after 1986.

SCCA Nationals were the most important races organised by the (then) seven SCCA Divisions. There were 50 or 60 a years until 1978 when they changed into Supernationals, or which there were about 15. Not sure what happened to them after that. Below that are SCCA Regionals that are organised by the (dozens of) regions. Nationals are very poorly reported by Autoweek and Regionals are typically not reported at all. These were all amateur races of course, equivalent to UK clubbies.

The big one every years was the Run-Offs, also known as the ARRC and later the CSPRRC. This was an end-of-season event competed by the divisional champions to determine the national (amateur) champion. Run-offs results are available online thanks to Nick England.

Allen
Old 3 Oct 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1726822)   #18
Wolfgang
Rookie

Germany
Hannover
Allen

Yes I search for T290 in hillclimbs in Italyand France, so result .. May be I do not find the "right" sites

Wolfgang
Old 3 Oct 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1726828)   #19
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Wolfgang

Not everything can be found on the Internet! For French hillclimbs, you'd need to read Echappement. For Italian hillclimbs, you'd need to read Autosprint.

Allen
Old 14 Oct 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1737653)   #20
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

To give you an example of what can be found in Echappement, the Lola T290 that Philippe Monot drove in 1973 is identified as the ex-René Ligonnet car - so HU26. Ref: Echappement Aug 1973 p125.

Allen
Old 14 Oct 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1737658)   #21
driftwood
Veteran

hu 26 is the Kodak Barrie Smith car raced in French sportscar serie sin 1972
car now in canada
how many of these mags do you have allen?
Old 14 Oct 2006, 11:19 (Ref:1737680)   #22
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Not enough Drifty. I need to build up a complete collection from about 1964 to about 1984 but the things are very expensive to buy on Ebay as postage from France is so high. I'm hoping some kind French 10/10er will lend me some - or even scan the relevant pages. Chris is going to hit the Paris fleamarkets looking for them as well. And one of us may go to Retromobile next Feb.

Allen
Old 14 Oct 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1737993)   #23
driftwood
Veteran

sounds like a coach needs to be hired for all the 10 tenfers to have a day trip out!!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1738245)   #24
Wolfgang
Rookie

Germany
Hannover
Allen,
thank you for this information. I buy yesterday the yearbook 1972 from the magazine Echappement and hope to find more infos .. Philippe Monot drove in 1972 a T290. The cassis number may be HU15, I hope to get a confirmation in some weeks.
Wolfgang
Old 15 Oct 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1738313)   #25
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Wolfgang

I don't have very much on 1972 French hillclimbs. Would you be willing to copy some pages for me so I can continue my research on Chevron B18s, March 712Ms and so on?

Thanks

Allen