Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Nov 2015, 13:40 (Ref:3587816)   #1151
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really hope Strakka will use it for 2017. I see it very unlikely though that we will get any more LMP1 privateers out in 2016 other then the existing Kolles and Rebellions, and dont think they will switch for next year sadly.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 14:35 (Ref:3587829)   #1152
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Really hope Strakka will use it for 2017. I see it very unlikely though that we will get any more LMP1 privateers out in 2016 other then the existing Kolles and Rebellions, and dont think they will switch for next year sadly.
I'm sorry to burst that bubble, but...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/1...e-buffers.html

Old 3 Nov 2015, 14:54 (Ref:3587832)   #1153
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There wont be any Privateer LMP1s after 2016.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 15:03 (Ref:3587835)   #1154
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
oh well...
Old 3 Nov 2015, 15:05 (Ref:3587837)   #1155
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I'm sorry to burst that bubble, but...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/1...e-buffers.html

Bummer. I guess the next question is how long can Rebellion and Kolles hold on?
Old 3 Nov 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3587846)   #1156
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
to me this is far from the actual truth and both teams are clubbing together in order to negotiate a performance break for the LMP1 privateers in order to get them closer and dare I say in the mix of the factory teams.......it appears both teams know they are probably the only ones about to enter LMP1 privateer, but the best they can hope for is mixing it with Rebellion and Kolles while the factory teams race away in the distance and take all the glory, hence they are delaying entry together until the ACO give them a significant performance break.....this negotiation with the ACO looks far from over......smells a bit whiffy to me
Old 3 Nov 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3587847)   #1157
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So make LMP2 a spec series to push the large privateers out of LMP2 into LMP1 but then... nobody wants (or is able) to go.

Richard
Old 3 Nov 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3587870)   #1158
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So make LMP2 a spec series to push the large privateers out of LMP2 into LMP1 but then... nobody wants (or is able) to go.

Richard
Well, that plan never really made much sense… LMP2 is a gentlemen-driver funded class. LMP1 is a pro-pro class… So the rich guy drivers/check writers in LMP2 were suppose to spend lots more money so they could race in a bit faster car against teams like Rebellion with all professional driver lineups while receiving scant media attention and still without even a halfway realistic chance of winning Le Mans overall? OK…
Old 3 Nov 2015, 17:34 (Ref:3587879)   #1159
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
to me this is far from the actual truth and both teams are clubbing together in order to negotiate a performance break for the LMP1 privateers in order to get them closer and dare I say in the mix of the factory teams.......it appears both teams know they are probably the only ones about to enter LMP1 privateer, but the best they can hope for is mixing it with Rebellion and Kolles while the factory teams race away in the distance and take all the glory, hence they are delaying entry together until the ACO give them a significant performance break.....this negotiation with the ACO looks far from over......smells a bit whiffy to me
Whoa!

Two entirely different responses from the teams - Greaves' programme is a definite no go, confirmed to be by Tim some weeks ago.

Strakka have a range of issues including the cost and performance gap but also including issues over chassis eligibility - There are meetings to come there - and potential for progress but have to say it looks pretty damn bleak.

No collusion between the two programmes on lobbying ACO
Old 3 Nov 2015, 19:13 (Ref:3587890)   #1160
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Problem is that with the way things are now (even TMG's budget is many, many times larger than that of Rebellion or Kolles) and the hybrid tech, let alone the factory teams' ability to develop their machinery (look at how Audi kinda took off and have, in race trim at least, have come to terms with Porsche in terms of race performance, when they adopted their new bodywork at Fuji), it does look hopeless to have the privateer teams come close, let alone mix it up, with the factory teams.

Right now, that'd take a huge, absolutely massive in fact, rules change in LMP1L for that to conceivably happen. And it'll be more massive than having a 5.5 liter Judd V10 in the cars.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3587920)   #1161
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can follow Knighty as the time Strakka annouced their stop is quite curious. What has been changed in terms of performance differencies between LMP1-H and LMP1-L since the time Strakka has annouced their program. Nothing

I would be surprised if the S103 chassis is not suitable for a LMP1 as Dome never totally stopped the LMP1 development and its was based on the S103 chassis. But maybe Graham knows more.

Otherwise I have to say from what are you dreaming guys. Even a massive rule change will not help the privateers. They can run with 1000 hp or more, they will have no chance.

It is a difference if you run with 15 people, maybe 10 million euro and do 1.000 to 5.000 km testing or if you work with 200 people , have 60 to 180 million euro and do 50.000 km testing. A private team does not have the money, not the ressources, not the manpower and so on to run on the same level than a works team. All other is pure illusion.

And no works team is interested to change the rules in all terms ( power, weight, maybe aero) to bring the private teams close to them, as they don't spend millions of euros to be beaten by private teams
Old 4 Nov 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3588104)   #1162
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting article about Rebellions future plans......seems they are also not happy with the current huge gap in performance between manufacturer and privateer LMP1 teams

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/rebellion-planning-lmp1-return-imsa-options-for-2017/

Old 4 Nov 2015, 23:15 (Ref:3588262)   #1163
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dreadful reading! The fact there is even a mere suggestive mention of 2017 not being locked in with the LMP1 continuation is what really takes the bite. If Rebellion cans the Oreca P1 for spec-and-bop-boring LMP2, it's all over.

REALLOW THE LMP1S IN ELMS ACO, FOR GODS SAKE THE EVIDENCE FOR SUCH NEED IS ---ONCE AGAIN--- HERE IN THOSE QUOTES. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SUB TROPHY WEC CHALLENGE P1-P/L AWARDS ALONE!

We might just dub the hybridless sub class as LMP2, current LMP2 as LMP3, and current LMP3 as LMP4...

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Nov 2015 at 23:23.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 04:58 (Ref:3588291)   #1164
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
LMPH, LMP1, LMP2 sounds good to me. Rebellion and Kolles need to be at 800kg and less, with at least 650-700hp and 14 lap stints (at LM). That might only let them do low 3:20's like Toyota did this year. Probably still wont be enough.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3588309)   #1165
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Dreadful reading! The fact there is even a mere suggestive mention of 2017 not being locked in with the LMP1 continuation is what really takes the bite. If Rebellion cans the Oreca P1 for spec-and-bop-boring LMP2, it's all over.

REALLOW THE LMP1S IN ELMS ACO, FOR GODS SAKE THE EVIDENCE FOR SUCH NEED IS ---ONCE AGAIN--- HERE IN THOSE QUOTES. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SUB TROPHY WEC CHALLENGE P1-P/L AWARDS ALONE!

We might just dub the hybridless sub class as LMP2, current LMP2 as LMP3, and current LMP3 as LMP4...
I totally agree, its painful to read, and any prospective new LMP1 privateers are probably now highly cautious about entering unless the situation is resolved, for me the solution is simple, leave the privateers alone, and peg back the manufacturer teams by a significant reduction in engine and hybrid power, 1000bhp cars is going to get a driver killed soon, then afterwards there will be a big push to slow the cars down, how about we avoid the driver death and just slow the manufacturers down first.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3588351)   #1166
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some more thoughts here on the LMP1 privateer situation.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/t...mp1-privateer/
Old 5 Nov 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3588373)   #1167
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kolles quotes in that almost make me want to support them with open arms!

I doubt anything will come out of that Bahrain meeting. ACO will them that everything is great. Then to decrease costs they'll propose something stupid like spec tires and cost cap aero parts or whatever, and to increase performance they tell the aim is to increase the petrol flow by 2kg/h or something for all races, insisting that will be more than enough. Strakka representative replies '**** this' and leaves the room. Rebellion asks if they could be allowed to run in other series to make the market more viable again and ACO replies 'yes buy an Oreca 05'. Then ACO says the meeting is over and graps the coffee cups back from team reps hands.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 20:53 (Ref:3588428)   #1168
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
I totally agree, its painful to read, and any prospective new LMP1 privateers are probably now highly cautious about entering unless the situation is resolved, for me the solution is simple, leave the privateers alone, and peg back the manufacturer teams by a significant reduction in engine and hybrid power, 1000bhp cars is going to get a driver killed soon, then afterwards there will be a big push to slow the cars down, how about we avoid the driver death and just slow the manufacturers down first.
Theyre only making 1000hp for a few seconds at a time. F1 is even faster but theyre talking about speeding them up by 5 seconds a lap. Id rather be in an enclosed coupe doing 200mph than an f1 car. These guys know what theyre doing.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3588455)   #1169
Deleted
Veteran

It's probably safer in LMP Coupe 99% of the time, but if there's inside fire in the cockpit like in the CLM last year at Fuji or something, then you'd rather be in open vehicle you may quickly jump out of.

Of course fire in GT can be even worse, if you've got to climb to the other door for some reason like here below. At least in LMP there's not huge space between door, even if the seat is not entirely centered like in open wheeler

Old 5 Nov 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3588460)   #1170
TF110
Veteran

United States
Cue roof hatches on the new GTE's. Thats off topic though.
Old 5 Nov 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3588463)   #1171
Deleted
Veteran

Oh yes I forgot those. Not that it's impossible for there to be debris or whatever blocking that hatch as well.
Old 10 Nov 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3589565)   #1172
Deleted
Veteran

What are these "rumours of fiscal concerns hampering the [Rebellion] team's participation in 2016" all about?
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/11/11...g-competition/

There's also some note of KCMG looking maybe at this direction but the way it was written sounded more like random guessing speculation
Old 17 Nov 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3591084)   #1173
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
With the possible/probable (delete as appropriate) scenario of Nick Heidfeld dedicating himself solely to Formula E, could the hand ligament injury he picked up at Putrajaya mean we've already seen the last of him in the WEC?
Old 17 Nov 2015, 19:21 (Ref:3591088)   #1174
Deleted
Veteran

He could still just do LM only, benefactory both for him and the employer.

Moscow FE round conflicts with Test day weekend, but its on Saturday so he could just fly up.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 09:41 (Ref:3591689)   #1175
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bart Hayden, REBELLION Racing Team Manager :
« We moved in the right direction with regards our competitiveness and reliability in Japan, and despite two wins in the last two races we know that we still have a lot of work to do to reach the level we want, however we are looking to have another strong performance at the 6 Hours of Bahrain on Saturday
http://www.endurance-info.com/en/reb...hrain-preview/

See Chiana, somebody cares about the sub-category "win"