Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex Yoong Signed Up By Dale Coyne Racing

10 Apr 2003
For the 2003 Champ Car World Series season

Long Beach, California - April 09, 2003 - Malaysia's ex-Formula 1 driver, Alex Yoong, who turned in an impressive debut in Round 2 of the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Presented By Ford in Monterrey, Mexico two weeks ago, has been confirmed by Dale Coyne Racing for the remainder of the 2003 CART season, beginning with this weekend's Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach in California.

Yoong just finished his first off-race weekend test with Coyne Racing yesterday at the all-new Arizona Motorsports Park Circuit, west of Phoenix, where he ran 97 trouble-free laps and clocked very respectable times.

"We would like to welcome Alex on board our team once again. He will definitely start the Long Beach race this weekend alongside our regular driver, Joel Camathias," said owner, Dale Coyne. "Alex's solid performances at Monterrey and during our 1-day test have convinced us that, given the opportunity for a full season ride, Alex will show the world his competitive abilities."

"Alex is great to work with and he has the talent and potential to be on the podium this year once he learns more about the Champ Cars after getting a late start to this season. We are expecting great things from him this year," added Coyne.

The number 11 Lola/Ford/Bridgestone car will be the mount for Alex for the remainder of the season. The team is planning additional testing as the busy summer swing begins.

Yoong, meanwhile, is looking forward to the Grand Prix of Long Beach which is reputed to be the biggest Champ Car race of the year in the States as well as being an event steeped in tradition. "I'm very happy to get Dale Coyne Racing's vote of confidence and, naturally, I'm excited about the prospect of doing the whole season, as well as being relieved that this is sorted out. We can now concentrate on the racing," said Yoong, enthusiastically.

END

Issued jointly by:
Alex Yoong Press Office
and Dale Coyne Racing
Old 10 Apr 2003, 04:41 (Ref:564752)   #2
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top News for Alex, a shame for Australian V8 Supercar fans as the calendar precludes a Sandown/Bathurst run in these cars

Go Alex you good thing!!

Only one suggestion, please ask Mr Coyne to bring his website up to date
Old 10 Apr 2003, 05:14 (Ref:564756)   #3
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume that Alex brings money with him, but does anyone know who that might be?
Old 10 Apr 2003, 05:23 (Ref:564763)   #4
True Believer
Racer

True Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you may assume wrongly.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 09:13 (Ref:564884)   #5
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let me get this straight, Yoong couldn't show his supposed massive talents anywhere else (not British FRenault, not British F3, not F3000, not FNippon, not F1, but he is supposed to turn into Senna with Dale Coyne Racing/Rent-a-ride in CART?

Either Yoong is buying the ride or Dale Coyne has seen so many w@nkers rent his rides that he thinks a world class moving chicane like Yoong is so good that he is willing to fund him out of his pocket.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 11:38 (Ref:564947)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think, by midseason, Yoong will be the leading driver in the team. He did well under difficult circumstances in Monterrey, and doesn't seem like someone who's gonna throw the car into the walls too often. Dale has a respectable lineup this year, neither of them are going to be chmapions or even race winners, but they compare favourably to some of the other rookies out there, nto to mention some of Dale's past inclusions.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 11:40 (Ref:564948)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think, by midseason, Yoong will be the leading driver in the team. He did well under difficult circumstances in Monterrey, and doesn't seem like someone who's gonna throw the car into the walls too often.

Dale has a respectable lineup this year, neither of them are going to be chmapions or even race winners, but they compare favourably to some of the other rookies out there, not to mention some of Dale's past inclusions.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 14:53 (Ref:565168)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
good for him I say , I thought he drove well in mexico and deserves another shot.

I wish him and look forward to seeing him out there.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 16:43 (Ref:565261)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Why? money? ALex needs to spend time in a smaller series and win a championship. No offence he has shown promise, but promise is seen at development series, not the big Races. Good luck to him.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 20:57 (Ref:565554)   #10
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So... what's going to happen to Roberto Gonzalez?
Old 11 Apr 2003, 02:00 (Ref:565770)   #11
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll just see what which company stickers would be on Dale Coyne's cars at Long Beach then we'll know eh..
Old 11 Apr 2003, 02:17 (Ref:565776)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why you guys are so preoccupied with where every dollar that went towards Alex Yoong's ride. How many sponsors do you see on Jimmy Vasser's car? Haven't heard many of you complain about him...

Congrats to Alex on landing the ride, I will be chearing for him!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 11 Apr 2003, 19:44 (Ref:566631)   #13
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I don't know why you guys are so preoccupied with where every dollar that went towards Alex Yoong's ride. How many sponsors do you see on Jimmy Vasser's car? Haven't heard many of you complain about him...
I think some people do not like drivers who buy (or to be politically correct, pay) for their ride. I don't think Vasser pays for his ride?
Old 11 Apr 2003, 20:06 (Ref:566647)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART pays for Vasser's ride.
Old 12 Apr 2003, 00:48 (Ref:566893)   #15
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Congrats to Alex on landing the ride, I will be chearing for him!
Probably because Vasser has won in something other than the Malaysian lottery before coming to CART.

Last edited by corkholio; 12 Apr 2003 at 00:49.