Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Oct 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1127583)   #1
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dale Coyne 3 cars in 2005?

With the strength of the Champ Car World Series set for 2005, Dale Coyne Racing and Gaston Mazzacane map out their future plans.
Gaston Mazzacane will drive a full season in 2005 for Dale Coyne Racing under a new set of sponsors from Argentina. Dale Coyne Racing and Gaston Mazzacane who started their future plans at this years Milwaukee event in June have big plans for the 2005 season.

“Gaston has done an excellent job in 2004 learning the circuits and experience the newness of ovals and street circuits,” commented Team Owner Dale Coyne. “We are pleased with the 10 race stint that we have done and happy to be now preparing for a full 2005 season with support from several companies in Argentina.”

Gaston’s season has been an excellent learning curve with a best finish of 6th at the Molson Indy Toronto. “I am happy for this opportunity with Dale Coyne and look forward to winter testing and starting the next season strong,” reflected the personable Argentine. “I know that the experience of 2004 will help all of us in 2005 and am excited about what is happening in Argentina in motorsports.”

“It is important to understand that we have a great relationship with our first year sponsor, American Medical Response,” said Coyne. “In light of their continuance with us in 2005 and with new sponsors for Gaston we will be trying one or two other drivers in the AMR car for the last two races.”

[It is the plans of the team to campaign multiple cars in the 2005 season. One car under the to be announced sponsorship from South America for Gaston Mazzacane, a second car under the American Medical Response with a to be determined driver and of course we would like to continue our relationship and competitiveness that we have enjoyed with Oriol Servia in 2004.]

Champ Car entered 2004 very late and under unique circumstances. Now that a solid base is in place Dale Coyne Racing is looking to use that platform to increase its participation and competitiveness in the Champ Car World Series for 2005 and beyond.

- From CART.com.

Last edited by macdaddy; 19 Oct 2004 at 04:11.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1127711)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the 'to be determined driver' is likely to be Servia, unless additional pay-drivers can be found. Realistically it'd be a big ask for a team like Coyne to run 3 cars.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1127752)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The "other drivers" being tried for the final races this year include Jaroslav Janis.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1127787)   #4
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there is a driver that can bring in his own sponsoeship money then a third car may not be that out of reach.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1127835)   #5
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is great news. Good for Dale! Walker is now making noise about adding another car for next year too. Things keep looking better for Champ Car all the time.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 03:49 (Ref:1127923)   #6
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would certainly be one I wouldn't have seen coming. Of course, they still need some backing to keep Oriol with yoketv.com goneskis, but that might be fixed if this Janis bloke keeps his backing.

Perhaps DC could go into an agreement with Emmo for the Mazzacane effort?
Old 19 Oct 2004, 13:07 (Ref:1128266)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Servia is likely to move up to a more competitive team, leaving Mazzacane and (perhaps) Janis to struggle along at the back until someone with a bigger chequebook comes along? I doubt Dale's shop really has the facilities to run 3 cars, and he'd need to hire and gel so much extra staff and equipment. I think this article's been misinterpreted for the sake of tying to make a good story.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1128427)   #8
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curious. I am not attempting to disrupt positive news. Just a couple of questions:

1. Why, if 2005 is guarnteed, is Dale booting Gaston for the last two races?
2. Sponsors from South America are mentioned - not named. TBA.
3. Oriol Servia is mentioned but not YokeTV.

I believe that a two car effort from Coyne will be what will be on the grid for 2005. I also believe it will be a better two car effort with better results.

It is not anticipated that Surfer's and Mexico City will not be on the schedule for 2005, therefore, I do not understand booting Gaston from these two races. Experience is needed to contend what message is this sending to Mazzacane's potential sponsors? What I read is YokeTV is no guarntee, neither is OS, so they are searching for a driver to bring sponsorship to work with AMR. Just an opinion.hrug:
Old 19 Oct 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1128429)   #9
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nowhere in that story does it say Coyne intends to run three cars. "Multiple" could well mean two. It means Coyne had money to run Mazzacane for 10 races this year and the 10 races ran out, so he's trying Janis for his Czech currency for the last two. IMO, it implies Mazzacane and Coyne together have full backing for the '05 season at this point and Coyne would like to run two with Servia in the other.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 15:31 (Ref:1128439)   #10
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, although TBA sponsors are just that, TBA or To Be Determined TBD!
Old 19 Oct 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1128468)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racinthestreets
Curious. I am not attempting to disrupt positive news. Just a couple of questions:

1. Why, if 2005 is guarnteed, is Dale booting Gaston for the last two races?
2. Sponsors from South America are mentioned - not named. TBA.
3. Oriol Servia is mentioned but not YokeTV.

I believe that a two car effort from Coyne will be what will be on the grid for 2005. I also believe it will be a better two car effort with better results.

It is not anticipated that Surfer's and Mexico City will not be on the schedule for 2005, therefore, I do not understand booting Gaston from these two races. Experience is needed to contend what message is this sending to Mazzacane's potential sponsors? What I read is YokeTV is no guarntee, neither is OS, so they are searching for a driver to bring sponsorship to work with AMR. Just an opinion.hrug:
There is no conspiracy. Gaston only had enough money this year for 10 races.

The usual 2 cars is what's planned I don't know where the 3 cars came from.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 16:52 (Ref:1128521)   #12
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racinthestreets
It is not anticipated that Surfer's and Mexico City will not be on the schedule for 2005, therefore, I do not understand booting Gaston from these two races. Experience is needed to contend what message is this sending to Mazzacane's potential sponsors?
I have absolutely nothing to back this up. I suspect that the sponsors knew in advance that Surfers and Mexico City would not be in the budget. If you think about it they have to be the two most expensive races to run on the schedule just due to the logistics. I have to imagine that this was all part of the prenegotiated sponsorship package and the sponsors didn't find the value in the additional dollars these two races would require.

Just a guess.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 16:53 (Ref:1128523)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Three cars came from someone's wildly over-optimistic nature misreading a poorly-phrased paragraph. You're right that there are unlikely to be 2 cars - and it looks like Gaston's place is more secure than Oriol's, which is a shame.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1128842)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The article does make hints of 3 cars. They say that for 2005 they hope to run Mazzacane under his sponsorship, another under AMR and Servia. The reasons that they may not run three have already been mentioned by others, but there's little question that they are suggesting 3.

I will say this, I have a hard time believing that AMR is pumping millions into the team, thus the additional driver would be either a pay driver like Mazzacane this year or the current series subsidization of drivers will cover the remaining amounts.

I hope Servia does not leave Coyne, it's great to watch him pull through the field and get that slow car up towards the front.
Old 19 Oct 2004, 22:33 (Ref:1128876)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I hope Coyne gets well funded enough he can be competitive for once. 3 cars I don't think is likely. Run 2 well, rather than 3 poorly.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 12:42 (Ref:1129407)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
It seems more likely that they are looking at 3 different ways of funding a car and getting a driver out on track,a dn hope to bring 2 of them to fruition. 3 cars would be wildly over-stretching the team.