Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Apr 2004, 13:36 (Ref:934384)   #926
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Still nothing about the RollCentre Dallara ?
Old 8 Apr 2004, 14:29 (Ref:934438)   #927
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gwyllion
After so googling I found a website which stated it is a Ford Cosworth engine of 3500 cc and another which states it originates from a Ford Mondeo.

I know the Ford Mondeo Silhouette in the Belcar has 3.0 V6 (I guess this one is based on the engine of the Ford Mondeo ST220).

MSE has a Ford Mondeo Turbo (also in Belcar). The engine looks like this; so I suppose it's a Cosworth WRC engine, as it is a 4 cilinder turbo.

Don't discount the possibility of the "Ford-Cosworth 3500cc V-8" at all!!!

I also follow the Indy Racing League closely (surprise! I'm from Indy)

Cosworth built an IRL specs engine that they could not actually compete with as a "Ford" in the IRL in 2003 or this year, because they are the "powered by Ford" "Co Tiele Sponsor" of whate was CART and is now OWRS.....

In the middle of last season, the Chevy IRL engine was clearly down on power compared to the Toyota and Honda engines....

Chevy cut a deal with Cosworth to use their 3.5L motor for the last half of the season, and to "badge" it as a "Chevy"....IRL fans jokingly call it the "Ford Chevy-worth" engine....

Beginning with this year's Indy 500, the IRL has downsized these 3.5 Liter engines to 3.0 Liters.....

Thus Cosworth (as the supplier of the "Chevy-worth" engine) has done a lot of head work, cam work, and such to convert the 3.5L engine to the 3.0L size and configuration....

It would be very simple to take what they have learned from this conversion process, and to reduce the displacement by a small 0.1 Liters, by putting a bigger cam in it and shortening the pistin rods slightly, and to apply itto the LMP2 category of sportscar racing...

All of the IRL engine manufacturers also have been working on creating more lower end torque in these engines, and creating "road course worthy" gearboxes in anticipation of the IRL adding a few road circuits to their schedule in 2005....

It also would allow them to "badge" it as a "Ford"...since Ford is not in the IRL.....and especially since the 3.5 Liter configuration will no longer be legal in the IRL after their race at Motegi April 17th.....

Thus this effort by the team with the Tampolli chassis, if it does have the Ford-Cosworth 3500cc engine, would serve as an excellent "testing program" for what Cosworth is developing for their 2005 IRL effort as part of that deal with Chevy....

If this is what is happening...it is brilliant for Cosworth to do so....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Apr 2004, 15:00 (Ref:934468)   #928
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Some further Googling came up with this- Rainieri Randaccio raced an LMP675 Tampolli-Ford in Interserie and Sportscar Challenge races last year, which sounds as if it may possibly be the same car- the engine is variously described as a Ford Cosworth V8, or a 3.4-litre Nicholson-McLaren

http://www.sportscarchampionship.com...=drivers&ID=91

http://racingsportscars.t35.com/phot...-10-photo.html

http://www.gt-eins.de/SCC/Teams/Teams2003.html (scroll down to car no18)
Old 8 Apr 2004, 15:10 (Ref:934475)   #929
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Could this be the engine in question?

http://www.nicholsonmclaren.com/LMP675.htm
Old 8 Apr 2004, 16:29 (Ref:934544)   #930
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It very well could be....

Why haven't we discussed this engine before, when the issue has come up....

I was not really aware of its existence....

I guess at some point, we will have to see a "Monza" list with an actual displacement listed for this engine to really know for sure....

Thanks for your additional input....

I'll see what I can dig up

Old 8 Apr 2004, 16:33 (Ref:934549)   #931
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
It very well could be....

Why haven't we discussed this engine before, when the issue has come up....

I was not really aware of its existence....

I guess at some point, we will have to see a "Monza" list with an actual displacement listed for this engine to really know for sure....

Thanks for your additional input....

I'll see what I can dig up
I won't swear to this, but I think this is the engine that was used in a Fred Godddard Reynard on the occasions it ran as a 675, before being converted to Judd V10 power
Old 8 Apr 2004, 18:10 (Ref:934641)   #932
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....I started a thread on this "Ford V-8" using our posts to see if we could find out more....

Last fall, when Intersport changed the Lola engine from the AER turbo to the Judd 3.4 L engine, we discussed Skip Barbour's efforts, and varified that he used the Judd 3.4L V-8, but I don't recall anyone raising the Fred Goddard possibility on a V-8 that might be this nicholson-mclaren engine........

But that is a distinct possibility....

Old 8 Apr 2004, 20:32 (Ref:934736)   #933
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
There's some comments by Henri on Ouest France

And a pic of the car scanned on "Le Maine Libre" by a member on MotorsLegend's forum...

Henri says that, beeing pennyless, the team had to use 2003 tyres, and was very disapointed to see the Audis 3 seconds beyond the Pescarolo. Then they used 2004 tyres and are closing to 1.5 second. With the accurate set up and trim, Henri thinks that they should be in Audi's pace...

Notice the air intakes in the rollbar... atmosphérical Judd !

Gorgeous in white, BTW...
Last edited by Fab on 7 Apr 2004 at 13:16

(This was Posted by Fab)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 4740 | From: Hitsville - France | Registered: Feb 2002

BMC [ ]
Rookie

7 Apr 2004 13:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if you watch the pescarolo picture on DSC, you can see that the first (lower one) intake is just behind the drivers helmet. For my understanding this is not a very smart solution...

I concur with you, BMC.....

I do know that in the Indy Racing League, not only do teams make sure that the airbox has no onstructions from the helmet, but they also have had many teams actually experiment with helmets that have particular shapes or slops on the top of the helmet to help direct air above it into the airbox....

I don't know exactly how much of an affect it has on the air inatke system, but it does have to affect it in some way....

BTW....if I recall correctly from pictures I have seen of the Intersport Lola B160 Judd, the driver's helmet is definitely below the two stacked air intakes....

To see the pic of the "Pesca," go back a few pages to find the above post by Fab...he has the link already built into it....

and finally....compared to the 2003 livery, I'm not wild about the white....but henri is "unveiling" his new livery later in the month, isn't he???

Maybe the car won't be white after all....

Old 8 Apr 2004, 20:35 (Ref:934738)   #934
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
"shapes or slops on the top of the helmet to help direct air above it into the airbox....

Sorry....that should read "shapes or slopes"....

Old 8 Apr 2004, 21:07 (Ref:934759)   #935
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Much better pics of the Pescarolo here Tim:

http://www.sportscarpros.com/focal-p...-2/default.htm

http://www.sportscarpros.com/focal-p...-3/default.htm

Last edited by jhansen; 8 Apr 2004 at 21:10.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 21:16 (Ref:934767)   #936
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
They are good pics....I like soem of the minor changes to the body for this year....but the white is still plain-looking

Notice how the helmet seriously blocks the lower air intake in the first link?

That has to have at least some affect on how much air the engine can get, compared to an unobstructed one....how much? I couldn't tell you....

Old 8 Apr 2004, 21:20 (Ref:934769)   #937
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I couldn't agree more Tim. The lower intake has to be obstructed. I seriously doubt any helmet mods would rectify that problem. Better off looking for a short driver.

I sure like the look of the airbox as opposed to the "spouts" of the Dome cars and others. But functionality must win the day over appearence in this game.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 21:23 (Ref:934771)   #938
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Look at the Lister though. They seem to have a taller airbox (or a really short driver, lol). That airbox entry seems smaller and odd to me, but much less obstructed. What engine is the Lister using this year?

http://www.sportscarpros.com/focal-p...-4/default.htm
Old 8 Apr 2004, 21:50 (Ref:934780)   #939
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
By the same token, this was Pesca's first run in the car, wasn't it???

Things like lowering the seat in the car or lowering the driver sometimes can be done....

Hate to keep going back to IRL, but when Adrian fernandez climbed into his car for the first time, he was too high in the cockpit, too, and they noted that they would have to mold another seat for him to get him down farther into the cockpit...

Maybe that was the case here...

Old 8 Apr 2004, 21:50 (Ref:934781)   #940
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
On your query, I believe Lister has done their own performance build on a Chevy-based engine...

Old 9 Apr 2004, 05:28 (Ref:934959)   #941
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
By the same token, this was Pesca's first run in the car, wasn't it???
Not sure : they did a shakedown on a small french airfield before...

And notice, for the air intake, that it doesn't seem to affect in the wrong way the performances on one lap (only 3 tenths behind the best Audi) or the reliability/endurance of the car/pilots (979 kms done during the two days test).

... even if I think that the air intake could be a little higher...

For the definitive livery : Henri annouces on his site that it will be unveiled 22th of April... huh... I'll be in Le Mans that day ! I have a board of administrators ! I'll dash to the track in the afternoon... not mentionning the three days following !

Last edited by Fab; 9 Apr 2004 at 05:32.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 06:12 (Ref:934979)   #942
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Wout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is THIS team Goh's new Le Mans livery?
Old 9 Apr 2004, 06:13 (Ref:934980)   #943
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Wout
Is THIS team Goh's new Le Mans livery?
It seems to be !
Old 9 Apr 2004, 07:31 (Ref:935007)   #944
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first reaction was: WOW !!!
Old 9 Apr 2004, 07:38 (Ref:935011)   #945
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is really funny. There was this design contest last year when you had to make up a livery for the Autovisie run Clio V6. I designed my own livery, and it's very much like the new team goh audi. Do I still have to tell you that I like the Goh car? Think this says enough...weird isn't it?
Attached Thumbnails
renaultcliosportv6.jpg  

Last edited by EliseGT1; 9 Apr 2004 at 07:39.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 08:53 (Ref:935044)   #946
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by EliseGT1
This is really funny. There was this design contest last year when you had to make up a livery for the Autovisie run Clio V6. I designed my own livery, and it's very much like the new team goh audi. Do I still have to tell you that I like the Goh car? Think this says enough...weird isn't it?
Franck, I can't see the pic you posted... as it's too late for you to edit, post another one, I'll delete the first post and my own...

Last edited by Fab; 9 Apr 2004 at 08:54.
Old 9 Apr 2004, 09:14 (Ref:935062)   #947
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
It looks fast, and a little bit mean. The team is definitely ready for the big Audi battle at Le Mans, with only one goal to chase for: the overall victory. The only place that counts!
Old 9 Apr 2004, 09:46 (Ref:935076)   #948
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
It looks fast, and a little bit mean. The team is definitely ready for the big Audi battle at Le Mans, with only one goal to chase for: the overall victory. The only place that counts!
The question is : which one to be out of gas after two hours...
Old 9 Apr 2004, 10:02 (Ref:935095)   #949
Wout
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
For sure one of the Audi UK cars. Thats the only reason they bring two cars to the "Circuit de la Sarthe"
Old 9 Apr 2004, 17:38 (Ref:935370)   #950
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
For sure one of the Audi UK cars. Thats the only reason they bring two cars to the "Circuit de la Sarthe"
does that mean Frank Biela's team mates should not come?