Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Sep 2020, 16:42 (Ref:4007639)   #7851
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Be a shame to see TOC go before one last runaround, but I can’t really blame him if he’s not getting the results
Old 30 Sep 2020, 17:00 (Ref:4007644)   #7852
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Thinking about it again, when Lewis Kent says 'last 3 rounds' does he mean 3 meetings (9 races) or 3 races (1 meeting) ? Possibly it's the latter
Old 30 Sep 2020, 19:02 (Ref:4007670)   #7853
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Lewis Kent (TCR racer) has mentioned on Facebook that he needs sponsorship for the last three rounds of the season in BTCC...
I guess the same potentially applies to lots of racing drivers! Be good to see Lewis on the grid mind.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 19:05 (Ref:4007671)   #7854
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Mark Howard?
I don't rate Mark Howard as bad. He wasn't fast, granted, but he kept his nose clean most of the time. I don't believe there was any malice in any of his ontrack "getting friendly" with other drivers - just misjudgements. I honestly don't think that's the case with the unspeakable one.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 19:25 (Ref:4007679)   #7855
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But - if I remember correctly - Howard was often on the grass, causing SC intervention on a number of occasions. But maybe I've got a memory like a sieve!
Old 30 Sep 2020, 19:32 (Ref:4007681)   #7856
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
But - if I remember correctly - Howard was often on the grass, causing SC intervention on a number of occasions. But maybe I've got a memory like a sieve!
Yep. And, together with Alex Martin, caused about half the crashes that year...
Old 30 Sep 2020, 20:00 (Ref:4007690)   #7857
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Should the season be unable to finish its allotted scheduled rounds is there any provision in the regs for the final points table or is it done by order at a particular time?

I'm just thinking if we get a local (or national) lockdown scrubbing the end of the year. Or just some weekends between now and the finals day.
Pulling this one back from a few pages ago, story in Motorsports News today - "BTCC champion crowned even if season is halted". Quote from Gow basically saying that there is no requirement for minimum number of races, so they would still award the title even if the rest of the year was lost. That's not to suggest that they are expecting the govt to stop things, just really to say what would happen if it came to that.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 20:32 (Ref:4007693)   #7858
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Mark was simply combining his efforts effectively as groundskeeper and race car driver. I think

He was humble enough to admit he was out of his depth. Although last time I looked his website still said he was the best Mark Howard.

Alex Martin was similarly not able to cut it in BTCC. Not too shabby in other series to be fair.
Old 30 Sep 2020, 21:23 (Ref:4007704)   #7859
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Alex Martin was similarly not able to cut it in BTCC. Not too shabby in other series to be fair.
Sam Smelt comes to mind
Old 30 Sep 2020, 22:42 (Ref:4007713)   #7860
swooshiain
Racer

Scotland
swooshiain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howard always struck me as being badly out of his depth (much like Stewart Lines), but Alex Martin seemed to me to be reckless - he's the driver I've been happiest to see leave the series in recent years.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 08:21 (Ref:4007747)   #7861
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Sam Smelt comes to mind
Sam just wasn’t fussed about being in the BTCC, more his Dad wanted him to do it for sponsor exposure. He’s much happier driving GT’s.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 08:55 (Ref:4007748)   #7862
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Be a shame to see TOC go before one last runaround, but I can’t really blame him if he’s not getting the results
I think the fact even someone like TOC can't pedal that Passat CC to a decent position says a lot about how poor that car has become. Even worse than the MGs
Old 1 Oct 2020, 09:21 (Ref:4007752)   #7863
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I must admit I have been proven badly wrong. I thought TOC would be able to drag that CC up the grid a fair bit. I am not certain what has changed so much on them CC's. They were race winners in 2015.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 09:40 (Ref:4007755)   #7864
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe they have reached the end of their development life? It’s probably just as well they are switching to the Cupra next season
Old 1 Oct 2020, 09:57 (Ref:4007760)   #7865
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I must admit I have been proven badly wrong. I thought TOC would be able to drag that CC up the grid a fair bit. I am not certain what has changed so much on them CC's. They were race winners in 2015.
HARD will be running them on a shoestring budget so parts may well be a lot older than they are on other cars. Things like shock absorbers on the HARD cars have probably done more miles than on any other car on the grid. HARD are great for being able to get people onto the grid on a smaller budget - but in doing so you have to accept that the cars won't be as good as those with more money thrown at them. Dynamics use new brakes for every race for example - there's no way HARD do that.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 13:10 (Ref:4007783)   #7866
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now confirmed that Snetterton and Brands Indy will be run behind closed doors (as if we didn't already know)
Old 1 Oct 2020, 13:19 (Ref:4007784)   #7867
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I too thought TOC would be mixing it for points and maybe, just maybe, get into a reverse grid draw. Sadly not

I would guess the parts budget, the quality and quantity of people involved in their upkeep and running plus drivers are the reasons. I doubt the chassis itself is the problem.

JP and Colin are top notch as where their race engineers. BMR spent good money. These are the reasons why I think why they were up there and are now making the numbers up. Goffy and TOC are good, but if your Michelin chef only has mediocre ingredients he/ she can only do so much.

The other thought I have is the suspension change which happened after the BMR days, maybe budget or lack of talent means the development driving/ sweet spots with setup were never found?

As an aside the MGs were awful the year they ran from the farm on a peanuts budget; Shaun Hollambys mob took them, threw money and talent at them and they were completely rejuvenated that year. I don't think I was alone in believing Mr H had lost the plot when it was announced he'd acquired them. Absolute chalk and cheese between those two seasons. I bet the same could be done with the CC, but I doubt that's a project anyone will be taking on - everybody else has good cars for starters.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 13:25 (Ref:4007785)   #7868
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Now confirmed that Snetterton and Brands Indy will be run behind closed doors (as if we didn't already know)
Covid restrictions are tightening in the North East, so I'm starting to wonder if Croft may be subject to some stricter rules or maybe not happen. Hopefully it will and I'm just being pessimistic.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 13:27 (Ref:4007787)   #7869
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I bet the same could be done with the CC, but I doubt that's a project anyone will be taking on - everybody else has good cars for starters.
Given the fact that there is only limited time for the car to still run in the series, there is no real value in them for BTCC purposes - the only real value would be if Tony decided to sell one with a TBL (which he isn’t going to do)

They won’t race in the BTCC beyond Brands Hatch
Old 1 Oct 2020, 15:32 (Ref:4007803)   #7870
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Covid restrictions are tightening in the North East, so I'm starting to wonder if Croft may be subject to some stricter rules or maybe not happen. Hopefully it will and I'm just being pessimistic.
darlington is currently under no restrictions, and the btcc paddock being exclusively a workplace i think it would have to hit the fan very badly to be cancelled.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 17:04 (Ref:4007826)   #7871
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Hopefully Bella hopefully. Darlington is on watch and the dreaded R is climbing. My hometown of Hartlepool and neighbouring Middlesbrough have just seen their restrictions increased. Nothing like the previously applied Leicester lockdown that stopped outsiders coming in thankfully.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 17:19 (Ref:4007828)   #7872
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it’ll be right. just make sure you keep your pubs and kebab shops open
Old 1 Oct 2020, 17:35 (Ref:4007833)   #7873
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hopefully Bella hopefully. Darlington is on watch and the dreaded R is climbing. My hometown of Hartlepool and neighbouring Middlesbrough have just seen their restrictions increased. Nothing like the previously applied Leicester lockdown that stopped outsiders coming in thankfully.
Surely the smog will win against The Covid?

I think we'll be fine for completing the season, but I worry about the guys who are struggling with budget because they've sold X number of hospitality places to help them race.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 20:36 (Ref:4007850)   #7874
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
darlington is currently under no restrictions, and the btcc paddock being exclusively a workplace i think it would have to hit the fan very badly to be cancelled.
Teams have been told that they can't have anyone at Croft who lives in Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham, Tyneside, Northumberland or Gateshead.
Old 1 Oct 2020, 20:49 (Ref:4007852)   #7875
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Teams have been told that they can't have anyone at Croft who lives in Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham, Tyneside, Northumberland or Gateshead.
Really? What about other areas where there’s raised levels of intervention?