Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Oct 2009, 10:08 (Ref:2561130)   #1
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMCRC @ Thruxton

Anyone else coming to Thruxton on Saturday for the BMCRC meeting?

I thought I would give it a go, see what a bit of Motorbike race marshalling is like. Having only done one other meeting with bikes (Gloucester Bike Club @ Thruxton last year), I'm not too sure what I have let myself in for!!

I would like a pointers on things to look out for, flag signals that might be different from waving at cars and so on.

Cheers,
David

Last edited by Stephen Green; 14 Oct 2009 at 13:15.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2561190)   #2
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
m1fcf,
flags are the same as cars, except they dont use the blue in club, unless otherwise instructed.
you find that guys go out to pick up bikes/riders in mid race, if so, my rule is always let the main pack go past 1st before venturing out, and secondly, if you aint happy going out, dont go, regardless of what others say at the time.
if they know you are new, you will be looked after.
if poss, try and get on flags and see how others do it.
i live under the general rule of, run offs get a stationary and fallers get a waved.
i also a car/bike marshal and the 2 styles are different but with the same goal...SAFETY at all times.
but enjoy the meeting

Gary

Last edited by gachjoel; 14 Oct 2009 at 11:48. Reason: additional text
Old 14 Oct 2009, 12:25 (Ref:2561226)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
As far as flagging is concerned, two major differences are that red flags go out immediately at all posts - no waiting for it to be displayed at adjacent posts - & a yellow, rather than white, flag is used for slow-moving riders. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, Bemsee DOES use the blue flag.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 12:32 (Ref:2561233)   #4
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
As far as flagging is concerned, two major differences are that red flags go out immediately at all posts - no waiting for it to be displayed at adjacent posts - & a yellow, rather than white, flag is used for slow-moving riders. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, Bemsee DOES use the blue flag.
Well there we go, the first bike club to use a mandatory blue, but due to the fact i not done this club before, that might be the reason for not knowing.

Red Flags, Cars or Bikes, regardless, If RC tell me Red Flag, It goes out, can't always rely on other posts to be so alert.

but no doubt, you will have others offer their knowledge to you
Old 14 Oct 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2561244)   #5
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
Red Flags, Cars or Bikes, regardless, If RC tell me Red Flag, It goes out, can't always rely on other posts to be so alert.
Red flag for car races is displayed at Startline then moves around the circuit in both directions. Any call heard over the radio/scanner for red flag should be used as a warning order only.

Anyone that puts out a red flag based on a radio message prior to seeing the flag move around the circuit undermines the well understood and long running regulations for race stoppages, creates confusion for new marshals coming into the sport and potentially risks prematurely stopping a race if they have misheard the radio call.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2561245)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
Well there we go, the first bike club to use a mandatory blue, but due to the fact i not done this club before, that might be the reason for not knowing.
It's a couple of years since I've done bikes, but from what I remember there are several clubs which use the blue flag.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2561254)   #7
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
It's a couple of years since I've done bikes, but from what I remember there are several clubs which use the blue flag.
i know its done on the big meets, bsb ect.
i usually do ngrrc,cmrc,hottrax,new era & thundersport.
and none of them use blue, except for the hottrax 6hr endurance.
most of them dont know what a yellow means, it would totally confuse them if you put a blue out.....
Old 14 Oct 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2561305)   #8
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all for the pointers - volunteering for the flags may be the starting point for me, as is suggested, and then get an idea of what goes on with the bikes.

I think I shall approach this in the same way as I do for a new circuit, and that is to go along with eyes and ears open, and enjoy it.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2561512)   #9
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you do flag some further points to consider: the yellow/red change of surface flag is shown if it starts to rain and red flags go out simultaneously - you should be directed by your Post Chief - you may even be given a listening radio so you know what is happening.

Also riders aren't allowed to coast back to the pits if the bike is not at racing speed they must pull off immediately. The same applies to the meatball flag which maybe shown at designated flag points and not just the Startline.