Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Sep 2002, 02:43 (Ref:375041)   #1
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Revolutionary FW25?

Frank Williams and Berger are talking about next year and it sounds like a bright future is ahead, and Frank talks about Juan Pablo being the "team driver" for next year, which is awesome as he is the greatest driver in the whole wide world, but what does "team dirver" mean, and is Ralf signed up for next year or what? (i'd luv to see him leave!)
Old 7 Sep 2002, 03:08 (Ref:375048)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf'll still be there, but Juan's been firmly identified as the one to get the best parts, and if there are team orders they'll be in his favor. Plus he gets what _he_ wants when they're developing the new car.

This could be a fantastic car, or it could just be a magnificent failure. We'll see at Melbourne...
Old 7 Sep 2002, 03:37 (Ref:375061)   #3
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By now the F2002 will have been thoroughly scouted, and I should imagine that Williams engineers ought to have a good idea about the direction they should be going in ( I consider the F2002 to be a good base to work from (no kidding!)).

They know they have to find 1-2 seconds a lap for next year, so being revolutionary is the only route to take. I certainly hope they are successful.

Old 7 Sep 2002, 04:02 (Ref:375067)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Problem is... Ferrari actually HAS the F2002 to use as a base... And everyone keeps threatening to stay until 2006.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 04:04 (Ref:375069)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they still adopt the raised nose cone and being the only team to use centrally mounted suspension this season then i'd say bye-bye to 2003 in terms of competitiveness. The ventury combo underneath the nose cone also don't do justice when the car ran thru kerbs or bumps..often smashing it to bits.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 04:17 (Ref:375072)   #6
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another reason why BMW should go on their own...

Williams has always been proud of their own so called designs of not wanting to adopt to better setups such as...suspension mountings that all teams copied form Sauber, below mounted brake calipers that other teams copied from Ferrari and still :confused: maintaining the rear coil spring setup....i bet they won't copy the F2002 successful periscope shaped exit exhaust..others will
Old 7 Sep 2002, 05:55 (Ref:375090)   #7
RaceCarFanatic
Rookie

RaceCarFanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank Williams made a big mistake letting go of jenson button. He should of canned Ralf Scuhmacher. He hasn't been driving that well the whole season. That's why Juan is the #1 driver at Williams now. It would be better to have 2 Fast drivers like Ferrari then. Being like McLaren with Kimi hauling ass and David being slow as ****.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 06:33 (Ref:375094)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
Another reason why BMW should go on their own...

Williams has always been proud of their own so called designs of not wanting to adopt to better setups such as...suspension mountings that all teams copied form Sauber, below mounted brake calipers that other teams copied from Ferrari and still :confused: maintaining the rear coil spring setup....i bet they won't copy the F2002 successful periscope shaped exit exhaust..others will
Juke, you are difficult to follow - are you suggesting that BMW should ditch Williams, pay $45mill deposit, and build their own chassis for next year?
OK, I think you go on to say that it is bad that Williams won't copy the better ideas from Sauber, still using rear coil springs instead of the torsion bars used by the VW Beetle, and the exhausts of the Ferrari (although the latter innovation is surely up to BMW to adopt and not williams). The funny thing is that despite not adopting all the better designs and setups from the other cars they end up with a car that is only bettered by Ferrari. I suppose Ferrari can count themselves lucky that Frank Williams has been going about it the wrong way in his design.

Valve
Old 7 Sep 2002, 09:32 (Ref:375143)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is...while Frank's department produce cars of great built quality, they are conservative in terms of design.

Frank's team do copy...but at a far slower rate than other teams... just look at their rear exhaust... abandoned Ferrari technology introduced in 98/99...

Frank ought to sell an even larger portion of the team to BMW so as to have more cash available to bring out the potential of his team...of course, let the young guys take a hand at imagining new ideas~
Old 7 Sep 2002, 09:46 (Ref:375150)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceCarFanatic
Frank Williams made a big mistake letting go of jenson button.
That one's been done to death.

Quote:
He should of canned Ralf Scuhmacher. He hasn't been driving that well the whole season.
A bit of F1 Trivia for you - name the Williams driver who's won a race this year.

Quote:
That's why Juan is the #1 driver at Williams now.
News to me.

Quote:
It would be better to have 2 Fast drivers like Ferrari then.
I for one would hate to see Williams start using Ferrari-like team orders, where one driver is only allowed to win if the other is comfortably leading the championship and feels like letting him!

I hate to say it, but I think 2003 will be much like this year. If Ferrari use the F2002 at the beginning of next year it'll be another situation where we all think Williams have caught up and it's going to be interesting, then they bring out a new car that's even better than the last one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Plus he gets what _he_ wants when they're developing the new car.
Ah, so they're turning it into an off-road vehicle then?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Sep 2002, 09:55 (Ref:375154)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
A bit of F1 Trivia for you - name the Williams driver who's won a race this year.
More Trivia. Name the Williams driver who got penalised and therefore gave Ralf the chance to win

I agree with all your replies to those quotes Steph, except that one - I just couldn't let that pass
Old 7 Sep 2002, 10:29 (Ref:375182)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how Williams has been champion so many times if they are so slow in developing ideas.

Look at Prost last year: the 2000 Ferrari engine and a chassis very very similar to the McLaren MP4-16 of 2000. How many poles and wins did Prost get?
Old 7 Sep 2002, 10:33 (Ref:375187)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has been a rumour for a while now: BMW have one of, if not THE, best engines on the grid. And yet what has Williams won this year?? Nowt. Bosses at BMW appeart o be getting a little tierd. Nex years car had better be good....
Old 7 Sep 2002, 10:58 (Ref:375202)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW is THE best engine. Witness is Montoya with his poles. The chassis doesn't help much though. Both performance-wise and reliability. (a bad chassis cna cause vibratios that result in DNF's, not only a bad engine or gearbox or whatever) I would agree with BMW bosses being a bit tired, but I believe that the Michelin bosses have had enough of it and probably they will make a choice next year. And I suspect that it won't be Williams.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 11:19 (Ref:375206)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Michelin can say much of it... Thankfully there haven't been a lot of races in the rain...
Old 7 Sep 2002, 11:25 (Ref:375208)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
But I believe that Michelin is losing it in the dry as well. Might I add in hot conditions too. They have to make a decission, if they (Williams McLaren and Michelin) cannot make 2 winning cars.... at least they should try to build 1.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 14:28 (Ref:375265)   #17
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will be the new F1 team of 2003! BMWillMaCedes!
Old 7 Sep 2002, 18:35 (Ref:375328)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
They have to make a decission, if they (Williams McLaren and Michelin) cannot make 2 winning cars.... at least they should try to build 1.
As both teams only have one win apeice, Michelin would have to look at other things between the two teams, and those things would be pole positions, Williams (Montoya more like) 6, McLaren 0, Williams 86 points, McLaren 57 points! Don't get me wrong, i do like McLaren, but if i was incharge of Michelin i know what team i'd go with, but i would try my hardest to try and persuade Frank to sign up Kimi alongside JPM!
Old 7 Sep 2002, 19:06 (Ref:375345)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Goodyear should come back, then the three big teams would be strong
Old 8 Sep 2002, 03:33 (Ref:375530)   #20
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe it's time to be critical.

I think Frank and Head needs to do some serious reflection on their team. Since their last WDC in 97, the whole team seems to have stalled in terms of innovations and design. Every year since then, the team had produced some of the most conservative and lacking designs on the grid.

No doubt, Williams cars are built to very high quality standards... sturdy and strong. But their aero side is relatively poor, which is worsened by the fact that they do not take risk at evaluating new solutions that could solve problems. This is a shame, considering that much smaller teams like Arrows, Jordan and Sauber actually bring out some interesting ideas to the sports, not to mention Ferrari which really began to lead on the innovative front.

Mclaren, with Ron, pays extreme attention to details of their cars... the Mclaren has one of the best chassis around. Although they no longer are as ahead in terms of innovations, however, they are quick to integrate other team's proven ideas to their own, and hence produce a great car. Pity the engine though, when Ilmor somehow underestimated their rivals.

Just look at how long it took Williams to exit the exhaust from the covers, how the Williams 2002 car look almost as square as yesterday's bricks compared to the handsome Mclaren and stylish Ferrari...how the nose is still as high as and as straight as the nearest flagpole. You would wonder how Williams, with one of the better resourced technical team could actually not do a better job.
Old 8 Sep 2002, 07:12 (Ref:375556)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
As both teams only have one win apeice, Michelin would have to look at other things between the two teams, and those things would be pole positions, Williams (Montoya more like) 6, McLaren 0, Williams 86 points, McLaren 57 points!
Among others things Mr v! If I were Michelin boss I would chose a team that offers more perspectives and makes less gaffes! Right now what Williams has to offer is only an extremely powerful engine that gets poles but seldom transform them into podium finishes. For the reasons Gt_R mentioned I would rather chose McLaren.

Anyway, any new gossips about a possible Goodyear comeback? That would surely help the matter, probably not for the first year but surely for the second..
Old 8 Sep 2002, 09:48 (Ref:375602)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Maybe Michelin should concentrate on the most consistant team in F1 - Minardi. It is an undeniable fact that Minardi has been the most consistant team in both quals as well as during races, and makes the least gaffes in any racing season.

Valve
Old 8 Sep 2002, 09:59 (Ref:375610)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Indeed... it is the most consistent team. And their foreseeable chances of success that might interest Michelin are also great. Gazprom money would surely bring them a Ferrari 2004 engine, Newey as their chief designer and Schumacher as main driver.
Old 8 Sep 2002, 10:05 (Ref:375614)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
......and maybe the FIA will change the rules to allow Minardi to run on LPG

Valve
Old 8 Sep 2002, 14:19 (Ref:375745)   #25
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this is the reason why ferrari have had so much success in recent times could it be that not only williams but also mclaren have been working on something completely new in design. Its also great to here williams and mclaren haved agreed to work together and help michelin reach a higher level of performance this is a very smart move think about it you have got two top teams working together to create the super tyre