Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Jan 2015, 21:44 (Ref:3492179)   #1
simon_blay
Racer

simon_blay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Time

Evening all

Am sure this has come up a thousand times but going to ask it again.

I am considering a visit for the first time, 2015 and wanted some tips. Am currently looking at driving from Bristol on Wednesday and booking a B&B 20 miles away from the circuit for Weds - Sat night. Book general admission ticket + grandstand for the period.

Main question is on accommodation. Budget c.£250 for 4 nights. Is that realistic if I am only after bed and breakfast? Any better alternatives?

Any advice at all greatly appreciated!

Simon
Old 12 Jan 2015, 21:59 (Ref:3492190)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boy have you come to the right place

This is after all the Le Mans/V8 10ths forum!
Old 12 Jan 2015, 22:05 (Ref:3492194)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
This is after all the Le Mans/V8 10ths forum!
How you come up with this fresh material time after time again is beyond belief.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3492195)   #4
simon_blay
Racer

Technically, it's the best advice I've had on this thread so far. The next poster will now comment on what he's had for lunch, at which point, that will take top spot
Old 12 Jan 2015, 22:14 (Ref:3492200)   #5
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_blay View Post
Technically, it's the best advice I've had on this thread so far. The next poster will now comment on what he's had for lunch, at which point, that will take top spot
No sorry, I would gladly help but don't really have any advice myself as I haven't ever been to Sarthe either sadly. It's just that it brings 'smile' to my face every time chunder here (or at Autosport) re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-tells us how much he hates all sportscar racing and wishes these places to be different.
Old 12 Jan 2015, 22:27 (Ref:3492205)   #6
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well you won't go short on advice here!

I will leave it up to the hardcore crew to fill in the details and get you started on the camping vs hotels, but you will find all your answers here

H
Old 12 Jan 2015, 22:44 (Ref:3492216)   #7
simon_blay
Racer

Excellent. Am hoping I haven't left it too late, from a bit of research it would appear not.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 00:44 (Ref:3492242)   #8
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Forget the B&B, get yourselve a campsite ticket, put up a tent and enjoy the complete package. Especially when going in just the one vehicle, it won't be to much trouble to find yourselve a decent site.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 00:57 (Ref:3492249)   #9
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
^^^This^^^
Old 13 Jan 2015, 07:53 (Ref:3492399)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yep forget the B & B option, difficult to get and very expensive in both money and time getting to and from the circuit, especially on days that hundreds of thousands of people are also doing the same. Get a camping ticket on the circuit from the ACO, an agency, the tourist office, or from someone selling one on the internet. Camping is not what you may be thinking it is, while putting up your tent you will usually be offered beer by your new friends in the campsite, you will sit around most evenings with a BBQ and unlimited drink and many interesting people, the facilities improve each year and are now very acceptable. The majority of people going for the 4/5/6/7 day stay at le Mans will be camping and the reason is they enjoy it. Plenty of advice on here and other sites about camping and how to obtain camping and which site will suit your party best. If you have questions just ask
Old 13 Jan 2015, 09:57 (Ref:3492426)   #11
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just posting my thoughts before the namby-pamby crew gets here (the ones sleeping in hotels) .

I say go for camping too!
It gives you the ability to sleep a little longer on saturday as you don't have to fight your way through massive crowds of people to get in. As a camper you just awake, do your morning routine and do the relative short walk to where your want to watch the Warm-Up .
I haven't done the hotel solution, so it won't be a fair comparison, but as Simon (GT6) writes, the comfort levels in the campsites has gotten very good. A good air mattress and a couple of good earplugs and you will have a good night sleep.
And again, as other says, camping is the only way if you want the complete Le Mans experience

Oh, by the way check the FAQ threads. A lot of good information in there!
Le Mans FAQ
Old 13 Jan 2015, 10:26 (Ref:3492434)   #12
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad to see Chunder is as constructive with his posts in this forum as he is over in the rallycross forum.

I did my first trip to Le Mans on a coach with Select Motor Racing, as I didn't want to have the hassle of planning on my first outing to Le Mans (plus I was travelling in a small group, so the coach was a good way of keeping costs controlled). They have a load of options for either camping or hotels, so I'd say they are worth a look for your first excursion.

I have driven down and camped with a larger group at the circuit on subsequent trips. I personally hate camping, but Le Mans is the exception as the atmosphere around the circuit is superb! Being on site gives you a lot more time to nose around as well, so being at the circuit is definately the preferable option if you can do it. As has been mentioned, some of the local area can get congested at times, so you can avoid that if you are onsite.

Oh, and if you decide to sleep during the race, dozing off in your tent to the sound of racing is the nuts.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 11:04 (Ref:3492443)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think the question is what do you want from this le mans trip?

if it's to see the race, nothing but the race, then a b&b is fine, and you'll have a great time (don't forget to buy a parking ticket).

if you want to get an idea of what le mans is about - and you're going for quite a few days - then i really recommend you take my esteemed colleagues advice and look for a campsite ticket. you're arriving early enough to get a decent (not bogside) pitch, and things have definitely come a long way.

tbtstt makes a solid point about going with a travel agent type agency for your first trip so you don't need to organise as much. the organised campsites could also be something to look for - who runs the one at porsche curves? personally i would avoid coach travel for a longer stay - you'll probably want to do a supermarket shop on your way in, and that's far easier with a car!

this year will be my third trip, and each year i'm ending up arriving a day earlier and with just a few more toys... it's one of those long term habits, and i genuinely can't explain why or how you come to get addicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Oh, and if you decide to sleep during the race, dozing off in your tent to the sound of racing is the nuts.
preach.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 11:15 (Ref:3492446)   #14
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
tbtstt makes a solid point about going with a travel agent type agency for your first trip so you don't need to organise as much. the organised campsites could also be something to look for - who runs the one at porsche curves?
preach.
K-Rejser and Travel Destinations is what springs into my mind?

And sleeping while the race is on!? - Blasphemy!
Old 13 Jan 2015, 11:32 (Ref:3492448)   #15
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Can see your point about B&Bs - while I happily camp, I can readily see the point of view of those who like a few creature comforts.

That said, while sourcing reasonably priced accommodation isn't the impossibility some talk of, I suspect you may struggle at the sort of price point you're talking about (which by contrast would be plenty to sort a nice campsite - although you do need to factor in all the associated costs of tent, chairs etc). If you're prepared to be a touch further away prices will come down quite considerably, and in my experience if you head to the east of Le Mans traffic may be easier and you may find some smaller towns with a bit of character to them in terms of nice restaurants / other elements of civilisation.
Old 13 Jan 2015, 11:33 (Ref:3492449)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We all have different idea's about what makes a perfect trip and after catching the same bug i suspect your idea's will be different again, but i do agree with others in that for your first trip either use an organised trip or hook up with others that can guide you, you will learn a whole load from others and that is part of the enjoyment but also how you get the bug and once you have it you end up 30 years later on a site like this helping others become addicted
Old 13 Jan 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3492451)   #17
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
And sleeping while the race is on!? - Blasphemy!
I almost managed to stay awake for the whole race last year, but I ended up dozing off for about 15 minutes. I would have done the whole 24 hours, but everyone insisted on changing the camp TV from the Le Mans coverage to the England match: even with the noise of racing in the background, football managed to send me to sleep!

My first year there I didn't really explore and just watched the race. I had a brilliant time, but the experience has got better every year when I have gone further afield. There is a lot to take in though, hence why being on site would be my recommendation.

Incidentally, if you do go for a tour option, then I would highly recommend the coach excursion during the race. I paid £20 extra for that and it was the best £20 I spent on the holiday as I got a couple of hours at the Porsche Curves, Arnage and Mulsanne Corner. I have made my own way to these spots on subsequent trips, but being taken there on my first year made things a lot easier!
Old 13 Jan 2015, 12:12 (Ref:3492456)   #18
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Don't know why I haven't remembered to post this before now
International Ten-Tenths camp II (2015)
You are very welcome to stay there - the price is fair and the experience in between the residents is immense!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I almost managed to stay awake for the whole race last year, but I ended up dozing off for about 15 minutes. I would have done the whole 24 hours, but everyone insisted on changing the camp TV from the Le Mans coverage to the England match: even with the noise of racing in the background, football managed to send me to sleep!

My first year there I didn't really explore and just watched the race. I had a brilliant time, but the experience has got better every year when I have gone further afield. There is a lot to take in though, hence why being on site would be my recommendation.
Another Blasphemy, watching football with Le Mans running .
But I understand why that would send you into a sweet lullaby. Personally I would just have left and started to walk around the track - it usually keeps me awake (although looking like a zombie at the same time)
Old 13 Jan 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3492512)   #19
Porlkieboy
Rookie

Porlkieboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These are all the other private sites if this is the route you want to follow.
Travel destinations http://www.traveldestinations.co.uk/
Lycian Events (Village on the Curves) www.lycianevents.com
1st Tickets (PH site) http://www.1st-tickets.co.uk/
Speed Chills http://www.speedchills.com
Team Langoustine http://www.teamlangoustine.com/
Airtrack Village (Thomas Cook ) http://www.thomascooksport.com/Motorsports/Le-Mans/Airtrack-Village
Old 13 Jan 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3492519)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
All of those are good options, a little more expensive than the normal sites but they do have some advantages especially for the first timers
Old 13 Jan 2015, 22:39 (Ref:3492610)   #21
simon_blay
Racer

Thanks very much for all the feedback. I marshal a lot during the season and so am more than familiar with my tent, may upgrade to something bigger and join you lot on the camp site!
Old 13 Jan 2015, 23:51 (Ref:3492630)   #22
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Thanks very much for all the feedback. I marshal a lot during the season and so am more than familiar with my tent, may upgrade to something bigger and join you lot on the camp site!

Well if you're looking for a spot, we can squeeze you away on our camp somewhere. We allways have a big camp with a huge gazebo, lot's of good humoured Dutch, English and German lads(yes, we're quite the 'trans European bunch) and we'll be staying at Houx annexe. Check the Beermountain site for info about that one( http://beermountain.com/index.php?page=houx-annexe ). It's a good spot.

Now tbtstt points to the following: "Incidentally, if you do go for a tour option, then I would highly recommend the coach excursion during the race. I paid £20 extra for that and it was the best £20 I spent on the holiday as I got a couple of hours at the Porsche Curves, Arnage and Mulsanne Corner. I have made my own way to these spots on subsequent trips, but being taken there on my first year made things a lot easier!"

That sounds very nice. One of the advantages of travelling by coach. I must stress however to steer away from the free busride offered by the ACO. If you want to waist hours waiting on the single bus riding around the track during the night of the race, then go for it, but otherwise I'd strongly advice against it. Believe me, walking is often quicker...
Old 14 Jan 2015, 08:33 (Ref:3492690)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Keep an eye on the forum and closer to the time we will start a thread on where people are staying/camping so what ever site you end up on you will find people from the forum close by, and as already said a bit of knowledge about where to go and what to do will make the trip much more enjoyable
Old 14 Jan 2015, 09:32 (Ref:3492697)   #24
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
I must stress however to steer away from the free busride offered by the ACO. If you want to waist hours waiting on the single bus riding around the track during the night of the race, then go for it, but otherwise I'd strongly advice against it. Believe me, walking is often quicker...
Agreed. I have never bothered with the free bus and always moved round by foot. Moving round the "main" areas can be slow going during the day (due to the crowds), but its great at night when a lot of people have headed to bed.

The group I travel with often pack a couple of very crappy folding bikes to make it easier to get around. Be warned though: even the crappest push bike may walk over the course of the weekend!
Old 14 Jan 2015, 12:11 (Ref:3492730)   #25
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nowt wrong with wanting to join the namby pambys, but I would say 20k away seems quite far. On race days traffic around the circuit is gridlock and I'd hate to have to try and get in from that far away tbh.