Old 7 Jan 2003, 14:27 (Ref:466358)   #1
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best driver pairing ?

I heard a lot that:
JPM/RS is the best driver pairing in current F1 ?

I think it is MS/RB.

MS = JPM (personal opinion )
RB is better than RS

What do you think ?
Old 7 Jan 2003, 14:37 (Ref:466361)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is going to be flamed pretty quickly.....

My verdict is that Ralf probably stands above Rubens, he has been much closer to Montoya than Rubens has to Michael, even allowing for the team focus on Michael.

Michael is still the complete F1 driver though, no one else has so much consistancy, style, committment or ability to gel a team and get results. Montoya or Raikkonen might get there in a few years, but I doubt it will be in Michael's time.

To be really controversial, my overall assessment f the 8 confirmed 2003 lineups is:

1 Williams
2 Ferrari
3 BAR (JV is a former champion and still capable of giving it 110%, Jenson much underrated on here)
4 McLaren (DC no longer merits a top-team drive, but Kimi has immense potential)
5 Renault (If Trulli keeps up his late-2002 improvement; I think Alonso did better under the circumstances than Webber)
6 Sauber (dependable but unspectacular)
7 Toyota (Da Matta should be good I they give him time, but Panis has had his day)
8 Jaguar (too inexperienced, and Pizzonia will have to improve on his F3000 showing)
Old 7 Jan 2003, 14:55 (Ref:466364)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, i agree that MS/RB is a better pairing than what Williams have.

RB is better than Ralf.
And MS is better than Ralf and JPM.

I'd think that Williams pairing main rival is from Mclaren, and maybe even next year's BAR.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 15:44 (Ref:466383)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari's team is better, mostly because one of them is you-know-who and therefore more capable than most of the rest of the field put together!

As far as a team goes though (Ferrari being a slightly different kind of "team", although not in my opinion so much because Schumacher somehow forces it that way, more because his talents skew the situation so drastically) I think there is a lot to admire in both Williams and McLaren choices. Williams would be better if Ralf were a bit more feisty towards the opposition, rather than his own team-mate. McLaren would be better if DC could just find some new level rather than always delivering more or less what we have come to expect.

BAR is probably the most entertaining battle in prospect - Jenson seems to me to be just about maturing into a serious force, whereas Jaques gives me the impression of a driver becoming less mature with each passing season, albeit with an awesome driving talent when he can be bothered to apply it. If the 2003 car is very good the fight will be close, if the its another stinker I think Button will make more of it whilst Jaques might continue to be grumpy and underperforming.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 18:40 (Ref:466527)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams vs. Ferrari is a tough one. We don't know who Fisi's team mate is, Irvine or Jos would make a very strong paring. Sauber has a great line up, I would rank them above McLaren because both are better than DC.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 21:02 (Ref:466662)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
The Ferrari duo. Rubens has ability, but is perfectly happy to sign contracts that force him to not use it. On the other hand, Ralf also has talent, and *can* pass if he wants to, but seems unwilling to try. So Ralf and Rubens is a saw-off..
That leaves it as Michael versus Juan, and we've been through this many times...
Old 7 Jan 2003, 21:07 (Ref:466668)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I actually quite like Jag's new driver lineup. It's not the best, but it's exactly what the team needs right now - two young, hard chargers, determined to take no prisoners and give 1000%, without all the internal team rubbish.