Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Feb 2003, 04:34 (Ref:513079)   #1
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver Pairing 2003

jag driver pairing of MW and AP.
I would submit i like this driver pairing best. They both are at the embyonic stage of their career and the only similar driver pairing i can think of is JPM and Ralf. Except their relationship is less than harmony. MW has a sense of maturity and quiet confidence and a good team man not always badmouth his team(a young Panis), while AP is an energetic guy, always positive, always enthusiastic (a bit too--he crashed the Jaguar roadcar in Barce). I foresee positive competition and good friendship between these two indiciudals and, one day when they have earned reputations in F1, sit together in the bar (not B*A*R ) and talking about their rookie days as Jaguar racing drivers and controlling the uncontrollable...
Old 21 Feb 2003, 04:39 (Ref:513083)   #2
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure that I'd compare Webber and Pizzaman to Ralf and Juan ????

Would that make Webber = Ralf? (damning with feint praise)

But agree with the basis for the post - a good pairing, if only lacking in experience, but by all accounts, Webber is an old head on young shoulders so it could work out OK, so long as the team has a good strong engineering direction that doesn't put too much reliance on the drivers to guide development.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 05:42 (Ref:513115)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the pairing I like best is Jos and Justin!

I think "Jungle Boy" has to be very carefull this season, if he drives as wild as in F3000 his f1 career at Jaguar(or his whole career) will be very short, I do like Webber though.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 06:08 (Ref:513119)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope these two aren't too 'novice' to tell jag what they think of their car development attempts if need be...!

Mind you...mark did once tell mercedes to get stuffed,LOL
Old 21 Feb 2003, 06:52 (Ref:513147)   #5
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
I hope these two aren't too 'novice' to tell jag what they think of their car development attempts if need be...!

Mind you...mark did once tell mercedes to get stuffed,LOL
no fear of that RWC - if you read the f1 magazine on mark & AP they were honest about jag. they a both a breath of fresh air and can make it in f1
Old 21 Feb 2003, 08:15 (Ref:513182)   #6
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ralf & jpm are still THE pairing
JV & JB should rate as no.2
MW & AP
MS & RB
KR & DC
Old 21 Feb 2003, 14:45 (Ref:513448)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Jagaur have anything like the right pairing when it comes to devleoping the car, they have always been slow early on, but relied on Eddie's development skill to move up the grid. I'm also unconvinced that Pizzonia is the right man for F1 when comapred to guys like Enge and Pantano who beat him in F3000.

I think Montoya and Ralf may be the best overall pairing, or perhaps Kimi and DC as their skills balance so well withDC teaching Kimi some of his racing skills
Old 21 Feb 2003, 15:24 (Ref:513469)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I don't think Jagaur have anything like the right pairing when it comes to devleoping the car, they have always been slow early on, but relied on Eddie's development skill to move up the grid. I'm also unconvinced that Pizzonia is the right man for F1 when comapred to guys like Enge and Pantano who beat him in F3000.
Hiring the guy that has put thousands of miles on the second best car on the grid has got to be a wise choice as far as improving the teams development programme.. although they are now dropping out of unlimited testing. Pizzonia is a sound choice I reckon - very quick, and experienced. OK, so he lacks competitive experience in F1, but so do other candidates mentioned.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 16:10 (Ref:513502)   #9
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what AP lacks is RACING experience only, he has thousands of miles of testing under his belt.
Old 21 Feb 2003, 19:41 (Ref:513628)   #10
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect Pizzonia to do very well. Both Frank Williams and Patrick Head are very impressed with his skill behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car, and so far, he hasn't been dissapointing in the Jag, breaking laprecords here and there.

He was fantastic in Formula 3, rather lacklustre in F3000, but seems to be picking up the pace again. If it all works out, I expect him to outrun Webber.

Webber on the other hand sort off disapointed me during 2002. Sure, he got the 2 points in Melbourne by hanging in there, sure he got the better of Yoong, but was he really all that quick? Anthony Davidson came pretty close very fast.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 02:04 (Ref:513872)   #11
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rubins is a good driver (dispite what everyone likes to think), Ferrari is probably #2. I don't want to commit yet on the Jaguar pairing. DC brings the McLaren pair way down the list. JV & JB should be pretty high on the list.

The pairings I _like_ the best are Frenzen & Heidfield, Jos & Justin. Very strong pairings.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 06:10 (Ref:513940)   #12
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll see MW and AP do great things for Jaguar this year. The car seems to be a massive improvement on last years car (then again anything would be better than that) Don't be surprised if we see a podium or 2 out of them, here's hoping anyway.
Old 22 Feb 2003, 21:10 (Ref:514348)   #13
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we looking at driver pairing in a absolute way, or in a relative way?

I mean, Minardi as a backmarker team has one of its best lineups in history (relativly) but on the grid, every other team has better drivers on board than Minardi-allthough the jury is still out on Wilson (absolutly).
Old 23 Feb 2003, 13:43 (Ref:514768)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jag have made a step up in their drivers, but I'm not sure if Pizzonia was the best choice. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and thought he was quite racy in F3000, but was he the best available? Watching Bourdais in CART snag pole yesterday and consistently outperform the highly rated Junqueria makes me wonder if Jag made the right choice. Not to mention all the other quick young drivers out there.
Webber I think was a good choice; SMART and QUICK, a good team leader.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Feb 2003, 16:16 (Ref:514857)   #15
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the pairing I like best is
K.Räikkönen-D.Coulthard
M.Webber-A.Pizzonia
This four guys will not be whine about each other in the press,they are real partners,but they will battle against each other in the track