Old 15 Jun 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1329224)   #1
alfa_centuri
Rookie

Guernsey
Guernsey
alfa_centuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nomex Underclothes

Please can you help me...

Im in need of finding a company that will produce and sell nomex underclothes M2M as i need a set for under my new overalls by 17th July if anybody does know of a company that would be able to do this please can you PM me.

Thanks Stuart
Old 15 Jun 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1329452)   #2
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why Nomex? Cotton's as good. Get a set of long-sleeved T shirts and fetching long-johns at your nearest Army and Navy store.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1329539)   #3
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
go try AWS
Old 15 Jun 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1329568)   #4
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or Merlin Motorsport at Castle combe, they must have a web address, I got my Sparco set from there.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1329762)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do you want 'em M2M? Nomex undies don't have to fit that well!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1330115)   #6
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jays Racewear are very helpful
Old 16 Jun 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1330121)   #7
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Sparco set I got from Grand Prix Racewear (http://www.gprdirect.com) wasn't made to measure, but it's very stretchy and would fit any body shape I would imagine.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1330175)   #8
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
Why do you want 'em M2M? Nomex undies don't have to fit that well!
Some men might have to disagree with you there!!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1330238)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
AWS... www.advanced-wear.co.uk and they will do mail order.
Old 16 Jun 2005, 13:30 (Ref:1330361)   #10
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
Or Merlin Motorsport at Castle combe, they must have a web address, I got my Sparco set from there.
www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1335081)   #11
p15pathfinder
Rookie

England
p15pathfinder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nomex under clothes

Save your money, Nomex under clothes for a marshal would be a complete and utter waste.

Why would you want them anyway? It can't be for firefighting purposes! Trust me, I was a fireman for 26 years and I can tell you that Nomex would only give you a false sense of security.

My complete advice would be when fighting a fire is:

"If it feels hot then your too bloody close".

So with that in mind you don't need Nomex if you are a marshal!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1335105)   #12
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only agre with the professional above, for many years I was involved in the BMRMC (as it was then) Fire training @ the RAE in Farnborough and we never stopped emphasising that you dont need to get 'that' close, mind you people still did 7 the regalia Officer always did a roaring trade in badges for overalls, coz the overalls might be fire resistant, the badges arent!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1335151)   #13
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's the point of being totally flameproof from the neck down when quite often it's your mush that's closest to the action?
Personally I'm a double-bagger
Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1335171)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the good old days when we had loads of pit marshals, I invested in a set of Nomex undies and a balaclava for when I did the meetings involving refuelling, simply because the job I did necessitated me being a little closer to the action than I would have liked! Number 42 springs to mind!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1335181)   #15
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In the good old days when we had loads of pit marshals, I invested in a set of Nomex undies and a balaclava
Didn't that coincide with the increase in the number of bank raids in the Burton area?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1335236)   #16
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Didn't that coincide with the increase in the number of bank raids in the Burton area?
Nope! Didn't live there then!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1335281)   #17
johnw
Veteran

England
Pretty skinny alibi.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 00:50 (Ref:1335346)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've got to wear something underneath. Who knows what fibres in in the average t-shirt, and jeans or normal trousers feel uncomfortable under the overalls. So I went the nomex route as they were a) cheap at the time (end of season sale?) and b) designed for the purpose.

Regardless of their fire resistant properties (and they've been washed so often they probably aren't any more) I find them very comfortable and they do seem to help disperse the moisture on the warmer days. It also saves me having to think about what to wear underneath. Grab the undies, haul out the overalls, end of decision.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:22 (Ref:1335507)   #19
andymfell
Rookie

United Kingdom
cumbria
andymfell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
borrowed from DuPont website
(quote)
In fibre form, NOMEX® is the brand name for a family of high temperature-resistant, flame-resistant fibres invented and produced by DuPont. The high level of protection synonymous with NOMEX® fibres is engineered into their molecular structure. It does not come from chemical treatment. This means that the heat and flame resistance of garments made of NOMEX® is inherent and permanent, and does not wear or wash out. You can count on the protective performance of NOMEX® to last the life of a garment.
(/quote)

so nomex is inherently flame resistent and proban is a treatment applied to cotton which looses its eficiency after about 50 washes

andy
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1335509)   #20
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Which is one reason Red Adair always wore Nomex!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1335511)   #21
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the fact that when I've got my nomex on underneath, if we get hot days like we have at the moment, I can tie off the top half of my overalls at the waist and just have the lighter nomex protecting my top half. It's much cooler.

The other advantage I have as an occasional competitor in sprints or other motorsport is that most clubs will accept probans with a nomex layer underneath as safe for competing in. Saves me having to fork out for another pair of overalls for the increasingly rare occasions I get behind the wheel
Old 21 Jun 2005, 07:54 (Ref:1335531)   #22
johnw
Veteran

England
Quote:
What? Even when he was dancing with Ginger Rodgers?
Old 21 Jun 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1335537)   #23
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
What? Even when he was dancing with Ginger Rodgers?
Yup!
Old 21 Jun 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1335824)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've been called that as well. Something to do with a Eurocar and pressing the wrong button for the electrics while the I/O was holding the steering wheel...
Old 21 Jun 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1335939)   #25
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I've been called that as well. Something to do with a Eurocar and pressing the wrong button for the electrics while the I/O was holding the steering wheel...
Oops!