Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 15 Jul 2001, 19:14 (Ref:117384)   #1
domaza
Racer

domaza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Molson Indy - Andretti did it again

Wow, whatta race!!! Top 5 in championship out and Andretti takes it again being the lastone in the grid... some thing what Dario did in Cleveland Feel sorry for Dario... he was running so good, but mechanical problems Fernandez, Takagi, Zanardi showed they can race and Tracy made good run from the back too. Too many finishers maybe, but it's racing and too many yellows too.

Every time CART returs to track theu put together absolutly awesome show!!! How can't I love CART? Kutos to everybody...
Old 15 Jul 2001, 19:33 (Ref:117400)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After this, Mikey is 2nd in the championship! That was a race pretty filled with drama, and a highly unlikely winner after his early problem. All the favourites went out! It opens up the championship though, and next up is Michigan. That should also be a cracker!
Old 15 Jul 2001, 19:59 (Ref:117410)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing drive by Andretti. From Last to first, OK the yellows seemed to work in his favour in that he could close up from an early spin. but he seemed to be able to take anyone.

SL
Old 15 Jul 2001, 20:21 (Ref:117413)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti really does own that track. Congrats to him on an excellent drive. It was also fantastic to see Zanardi back at the front, and making passes. I can't say I was overly impressed with Junquira however, a little to much blocking for my liking. Can't wait till next year.
Old 15 Jul 2001, 21:35 (Ref:117435)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No one in our grandstand was happy that he won, but everyone was ecstatic at the drive of one Alexandre Tagliani, who raced like a madman and made his pit stops count and did some excellent wheel to wheel stuff ... and who was a professional first to last. Well done Tags!

I would also like to propose that Tora Tagaki be deported immediately. That man is a danger to life and limb on the track. And you'd better look at Memo while you have the chance, because after the way he drove this weekend I don't think he's going to be around very long.

Good half race by the Penske boys and excellent run by Junqueria as long as he ran. He made excellent gains in the pits and drove very well.
Old 15 Jul 2001, 21:41 (Ref:117437)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I would also like to propose that Tora Tagaki be deported immediately.
Three times running into someone in the same corner, wasn't it? I do not often use these words about racing drivers, but mr. Takagi just simply doesn't appear to be good enough at this level. It's not like it's the first time he's done these kind of antics either, is it?
Old 16 Jul 2001, 02:43 (Ref:117509)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
you could say the same about Paul tracy..there was alot of bad driving in this race Junqueria's swerving was very bad , takagi and tracy running into people ..but despite this Andretti came through to take the win..well done mikey ..but I must add yet another impressive run for Scott Dixon.

bring on Michigan !!!!
Old 16 Jul 2001, 03:43 (Ref:117525)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think CART should re-address this tow-truck business. If they stopped re-starting drivers after they stall, it would cut down on yellows by having to bring all that palaver into it. Also it would stop the offenders from doing it again, like they always seem to, plus teaching them a lesson by ending their race. If you’ve stopped, then you’ve stopped!

Anyway, lots of good drives today. Andretti oviously one, also Tag, Zanardi don't forget and Fernandez - all having their best finish this year. Another unlucky day for da Matta, Castro neves, Brack and Kanaan. Looks like the championship is still wide open, Zanardi is coming on much stronger now, anyone think he could get on a run?
Old 16 Jul 2001, 07:08 (Ref:117592)   #9
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! what a great race;think I'll book a ticket to next years one .
Again I watched this race after the F1 which was of course processional. well done to our man Scott Dixon who survived being nerfed by Andretti on lap 1 then spinning at Vasser & Moreno's get together and having his front wing run over, showing tremendous fuel economy and finishing 5th. So far this season he looks far more impressive than Junqeuira, the other leading rookie.
What is Takagi playing at? Its like he's driving the playstation version or something
Old 16 Jul 2001, 12:10 (Ref:117715)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Watching the race it was most unexpected to see Andretti win, but he drove an excellent race, all the cards fell in place for him, he took advantage of the yellows, made the passes (including some excellent ones past Herta and Junquiera) and won the race.

Felt sad for Tagliani as he might have won had he not pitted when de Ferran did. But he drove a very mature race, and if he can reproduce that driving week-in, week-out, he'll win eventually and keep his job safe. He has the speed, but he has to be consistent.

Great drives from Fernandez, who could have won had he not stalled in the pits, and Zanardi who stormed through the field. He just needs to fix up his qualifying and it will be 97/98 all over again.

What happened to de Ferran though? No-one saw him for the first half of the race, then the team made a bad tactical error (although it could have easily been a masterstroke) and then he was taken out. So bad luck for him, and still without a win this year.....

Worst driver of the day award goes to Takagi: no contest. Frankly, he did this in F1 too and deserves all the blame for the three incidents. Junqueira, I believe, was defending his position. I don't think what he was doing was blocking at all. But that's my view.

Must say it was one of the best races of the season.
Old 16 Jul 2001, 19:19 (Ref:117897)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Great race from T.O.
Can't believe Andretti won. Can't believe he didn't lose a lap.
Wish he had.
Great drives by Fernandez, Zanardi, Tracy, Tag...
Thought Tracy was done after falling behind a lap.

I'm not one to question The Captain, but, what the hell was Roger thinking when he brought deFerran in to the pits?
I know... hindsight is 20/20.

But what happened next? Canadian TV didn't show much. Tag pitted with Gil, but by the time TV caught up with it, Gil was way back and Tag was running up front again.

Great to see that Adrian has is new team clicking on all cylinders.
Likewise Mo Nunn's team.

Sorry to see so much misfortune for Servia. Thought he'd be the next Castroneves... He produced so well last year with an underfunded team, if he could post some numbers this year I'm sure he'd be picked up by a "better" team. I like Servia. Reminds me of Zanardi.
After that last late-race caution, I honestly thought Zanardi was gonna win.

My heart sank when deFerran pitted.
My heart broke when Castroneves blew up.
The Penskes obviously had the legs on the field.

Next stop... MICHIGAN.
No-holds-barred. Finish the race and finish in the points.
Really looking forward to that one. Mainly because I'm gonna be there.
Old 16 Jul 2001, 19:37 (Ref:117904)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention...

Takagi should be replaced by any SuperModified driver at my local dirt track.

I've lost a little bit of respect for Junqeuira.
But, I should watch what I say.
Helio did similar earlier in the year.

Happy to see that the race started under yellow. Not that I'm happy with that in itself, but last year it seemed that they would wave the green no matter how they were aligned. Kniefel's gonna be a great Cheif Steward.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 07:30 (Ref:118157)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sensational race. Hmm, CART or F1? I really don't know.

How good is Zanardi? He's not quite back yet, but he's getting there. He made some great passes, and brought back some great memories. Did anyone see when he locked up the rears going into turn three, and got it majorly crossed up. It's cool to see aggressive driving. Go Alex!

Great drive by Andretti. Those passes he made around the outside of turn three were super. However, I think he owes the safety guys at turn three a drink or a hundred, for getting him restarted before losing a lap.

I was very happy for Tag. He drove a great race. He's been struggling a bit this year, but today showed his teammate how to be mature and have brains.

Is Paul Tracy a moron or what? For a guy who's raced in nearly 100 races, he makes some childish errors. That effort on Servia was pathetic. He ruined Oriol's race.

Speaking of which - I feel sorry for Oriol. He always seems to get involved in other people's accidents. He was my fave last year (after his storming drive at Long Beach). He's been demoted to 2nd this year since Zanardi's return. I like his style. He's aggressive and likes to make things happen. Like Alex.

Takagi has massive problems.

I didn't think Bruno blocked too badly. You're entitled to defend your position. His biggest mistake was when he just moved back towards the racing line, cutting off Christian. It was obviously Bruno's mistake, but I didn't agree with Fittipaldi carrying on like a pork chop.

Also great drives by Fernandez and Dixon.

Bad luck for Helio, Dario, Kenny and Kanaan.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 11:30 (Ref:118248)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Penske brought Gil in after Helio's engine went boom, to check something. Gil was furious, but he had to go in if his boss said go. And what kind of a magnet is attached to the Newman-Haas car to make it cut across the bow of spinning cars?

Better luck next year, I hope. But sometimes you just can't win at some tracks and Toronto appears to be one of those tracks for Gil.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 16:19 (Ref:118392)   #15
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some reports are saying that Gil was brought in a second time because during the stop on Lap 49, the nozzle faltered and he didn't get all of the fuel, so he was in again at the next yellow, caused by his teammates engine failure, to get the rest of the fuel so he could make the finish. Unfortunately, Gil didn't see the finish.
Old 17 Jul 2001, 20:04 (Ref:118500)   #16
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mac said
I didn't think Bruno blocked too badly. You're entitled to defend your position. His biggest mistake was when he just moved back towards the racing line, cutting off Christian. It was obviously Bruno's mistake, but I didn't agree with Fittipaldi carrying on like a pork chop

Yeah I agree with you there. Does Fittapaldi always carry on like an idiot when he's in an accident? He gave Minnasian an earful when they crashed together a few races ago didn't he. Nico probably didn't understand a word he was saying. Then he appaulds ironically for about 60 seconds for the benefit of the TV cameras at Toronto.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 06:50 (Ref:118670)   #17
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know, what I've always said about Christian Fittipaldi is that he is a medium talent taking up space at at top-level team. I believe that he carries on the way he does as a means to make sure that every body believes that an accident or incident is not his fault (even if it is sometimes) I thought that Moreno was poised to replace Fittipaldi at Newman Haas back in 1999. I just can't believe that he hasn't worn out his welcome at that team yet...
But I must admit, he has had some very nice drives this season, especially in Portland.
Old 18 Jul 2001, 07:20 (Ref:118679)   #18
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree. Getting mighty tired of Christian's act.

Hand it to Michael, like him or not. He drove the race his way. Superb runs for several pilotes. I was especially energized by Zanardi's charge. Let's hope it signals his return to top form.