Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 17 Apr 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2674302)   #1
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Does Qatar point to Pedrosa losing his alien status?

I was rewatching the Qatar MotoGP a few days ago and was startled by Dani Pedrosa's race. I decided to look into his pace in a bit more detail and see if there was any reason for his poor performance so I wrote a small piece for my blog. I know it's easy to read far too much into a single performance but the manner in which Pedrosa struggled was alarming to me and he will need to rectify it very soon otherwise Honda won't renew his contract as a works rider
Old 22 Apr 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2677905)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair, I don't think this is all on Pedrosa. Some of the commentary I have read suggests that given Dovi's early switch to Ohlins last year he may have had more input into the overall design of the bike. And in fact the troubles that Pedrosa is having coincide with some features that Dovi likes on his bike. But either way, he clearly isn't happy with the setup on his Honda. Food for thought.

Pedrosa is never going to be as strong as Rossi, Stoner and Lorenzo on similar machinery. He just doesn't have that killer instinct on the brakes when he needs it. But if Honda ever give him an edge, he could be dangerous. However, I have a feeling his time at Honda is nearing an end. Might be good for him. Would be even better if he got rid of Puig.

Last edited by jhansen; 22 Apr 2010 at 15:34.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2678349)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thinking his time at Repsol Honda is coming to an end too - a new bike could be a good thing for him... Saying that, he should finish top 6 or 7 this year & may grab a win or 2!
Old 23 Apr 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2678367)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dani has had far more of a chance than others on the same bike.

Remember Biaggi and Barros got very little time to prove themselves, only a year each, and both were proven winers on the right bikes. And Hayden was given a test mule to try and win the title on, and won it!!

For me Puig has a lot to answer for at Honda, he has tried to give Dani everything he and Dani want and now it has to be seen on the track.

Put simply the guy gets in the lead nearly every race and can't cut it. He is useless on the brakes and very injury prone and can't seem to ride round injuries as Rossi, Lorenzo and Stoner can.

I believe Honda have missed a trick putting so much faith in him and if Dovi has manouvered himself into a good position within Repsol then good on him, I rate him far higher than Dani anyway, always have.

He was winning on a Honda in 250 when noone else was, and Honda at the tiem were very uninterested in 250. His bike was dog slow.

Are people really daft enough to think his bike was anything like the same as Aoyama's a year or two later? Dovi was on a Scot Honda when lorenzo, et al were on Prillers and was blown away every striaght. Being Japanese on a Japanese bike still counts for a lot I feel.

And on 125/250's Danis weight kept him winning on Honda's when they were relatively slow.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2678487)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
And on 125/250's Danis weight kept him winning on Honda's when they were relatively slow.
Good post chunder. Pedrosa's weight is also what puts him in the lead early on in a race. When he is out front you get the feeling that if he is passed he has no answer for it.

Ben Spies just posted a column on superbikeplanet talking about Qatar. He had a few interesting comments about Pedrosa. Spies found Pedrosa's mid corner speed to be a bit slower than most, but he said Pedrosa has this amazing ability to get the bike upright early and exploit the acceleration of the bike due to his weight. Makes sense really. Too bad Pedrosa never learned to be a demon on the brakes, he would be a lot more dangerous than he is. I can't see him winning the title unless he has a hefty bike advantage.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 01:37 (Ref:2678818)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has been around long enough & had a good enough crack at it - maybe repsol need Lorenzo on there Honda's, obviously needs to be a Spaniard... Time for a change cause Dani aint gonna do it!
Old 25 Apr 2010, 10:15 (Ref:2679269)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with you both. Pedrosa's bike has perhaps as J says been designed around him picking it up early and firing out, like the good old days of the 500's

But even back then guys like lawson, Rainey and Schwantz could adapt and do differnet things in certain bends.

I just don't think Dani is strong enough to ride an 800 properly. Stoner seems stick thin yet still manages to ride it hard as do Lorenzo and Hayden whoa re hardly huge.

I would like to see Stoner go to Honda and Vale to Ducati!! Awesome team then Vale could be the utter number 1 of all time by winning titles on three bikes!!
Old 6 May 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2685342)   #8
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
any changes of opinions after Jerez ??

Ciao Marco
Old 6 May 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2685398)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think Dani rode a superb race at Jerez, was very unlucky and only really overtake in the last couple of laps when his tyre had gone off and Jorge had a bit extra.

He will see it as a huge improvement I'm sure, what peeves me is the way his team treat him, holding out boards giving him a much smaller lead than he had to make him push more!

I think in the right team or on a Yam he would be superb, and most importantly of all, away from Puig. I think as fans we would see a happier, more relaxed and fun Dani than we see right now. Because we have only ever known the solemn Dani with Puig around, never on his own.
Old 6 May 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2685420)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
I think in the right team or on a Yam he would be superb, and most importantly of all, away from Puig. I think as fans we would see a happier, more relaxed and fun Dani than we see right now. Because we have only ever known the solemn Dani with Puig around, never on his own.
I agree, but it begs the question, why does Dani keep him around?
Old 6 May 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2685439)   #11
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
He will see it as a huge improvement I'm sure, what peeves me is the way his team treat him, holding out boards giving him a much smaller lead than he had to make him push more! .
was thinking wtf at the time .. strange move from the team ..

Ciao Marco
Old 17 Jun 2010, 06:22 (Ref:2713517)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Is he the only rider who can deny Lorenzo the title this year?

Alien status is turned on again...