Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Jun 2020, 20:11 (Ref:3983273)   #6326
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well if tomorrow does go as predicted then both the circuits and people at BTCC should be able to get at least a few races on this year.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 20:11 (Ref:3983274)   #6327
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcanary View Post
Look how quickly the nightingale hospital in london was built.
I didn't realise circuits had 200+ staff working round the clock, free of charge, to carry out such tasks....
Old 22 Jun 2020, 20:11 (Ref:3983275)   #6328
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course precautions have been taken, but lockdown can only go on for so long. I’m sure people have been getting anxious and/or frustrated to get back out there again. Of course the few meetings almost certainly won’t go ahead with crowds, but after that who knows? It might take some measures, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see decent crowds again
Old 22 Jun 2020, 20:14 (Ref:3983277)   #6329
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
If they do not get things moving again, and money spinning races back on the cards i susppect some circuits will find it hard to survive the year
Old 22 Jun 2020, 20:15 (Ref:3983278)   #6330
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Of course that is the fear, how circuits can go ahead with getting people through the gate at major meetings
Old 22 Jun 2020, 20:23 (Ref:3983279)   #6331
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
All the circuits are sitting empty, with no races, and all their other revenue earning activities also closed down, if they can not do something soon then how many will survive is a serious problem for uk motor racing series.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 20:44 (Ref:3983282)   #6332
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
All the circuits are sitting empty, with no races, and all their other revenue earning activities also closed down, if they can not do something soon then how many will survive is a serious problem for uk motor racing series.
Track days and test days have been running at circuits for about 2 weeks now so for one second don’t think they are sitting empty not earning money
Old 23 Jun 2020, 04:49 (Ref:3983310)   #6333
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely.
People are being really slow-moving about getting back to normal.
I''m not scared at all now. There's what can be a deadly virus around, but then cancer has been around for ever and in bigger numbers than coronavirus now. Everyone doesn;t abandon living their lives because of a fear of getting cancer.

So many people have fallen hook line and sinker for the scare tactics perpetuated by most givernments around the globe. Yres, it's been serious, but come on, we have to live some kind of normal lives!
Cancer isn't a virus that you catch off other people. Big difference.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 04:54 (Ref:3983311)   #6334
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
How quickly could a circuit ramp up a ticketed event if the given notice is only something like 4-6 weeks?
The only thing circuits will have to overcome is toilet facilities and how to police them and constantly keep them clean.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 06:09 (Ref:3983315)   #6335
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
The only thing circuits will have to overcome is toilet facilities and how to police them and constantly keep them clean.
Some of the train companies are 'fogging' carriages that kills any virus and also has a protective property on surfaces that is quite long lasting.

If the circuits order large numbers of the blue building site type toilets, they could open and close them in rotation with fogging inbetween.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 06:17 (Ref:3983317)   #6336
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Of course that is the fear, how circuits can go ahead with getting people through the gate at major meetings
They would have to limit numbers and then it would be quite easy to sub-divide car parks into red/blue/green,etc zones and then text each group when their 'slot' to enter the circuit on foot would be, so there is limited queuing to get in.

You would also scan all e-tickets on entry to the car park so no ticket checking at any other gates to stop a bottle neck.

Actually some circuits may learn stuff about managing people that they have not tried before and use technology more. Would require investment, but in thr long run would reduce staffing, queuing and perhaps deliver a better customer experience.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 06:49 (Ref:3983319)   #6337
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Cancer isn't a virus that you catch off other people. Big difference.
Exactly that!
I agree that it could/would be possible for the circuits to control entry times, they could buy/rent loads of portaloo's and 'fog them' on a regular basis, but all of this takes time & money. Running the first few BTCC meetings behind closed doors will still involve a heck of a lot of people coming into and moving around the circuit which will present the organisers with enough of a challenge to start with. Isn't it common sense to allow them to start off like that and use this 'practice' to develop their systems & procedures, fine-tuning things and ensuring the safety of everyone involved to start with, then when they feel confident that they can handle the added 'complications' of spectators start letting them in too? ITV4 will televise the races so you will still have the opportunity to see the action if you want to or is your burning desire to boo & hiss at the pantomime villains Matt Neal & Jason Plato live at the circuit more important than all of that?
Please note that my use of the word "your" in the last sentence does not mean I am aiming this an anyone in particular, it is a general comment prompted by the posts saying that spectators should be allowed.

Last edited by VIVA GT; 23 Jun 2020 at 06:57. Reason: Added the final sentence as clarification
Old 23 Jun 2020, 07:18 (Ref:3983324)   #6338
mattcanary
Racer

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Exactly that!
I agree that it could/would be possible for the circuits to control entry times, they could buy/rent loads of portaloo's and 'fog them' on a regular basis, but all of this takes time & money. Running the first few BTCC meetings behind closed doors will still involve a heck of a lot of people coming into and moving around the circuit which will present the organisers with enough of a challenge to start with. Isn't it common sense to allow them to start off like that and use this 'practice' to develop their systems & procedures, fine-tuning things and ensuring the safety of everyone involved to start with, then when they feel confident that they can handle the added 'complications' of spectators start letting them in too? ITV4 will televise the races so you will still have the opportunity to see the action if you want to or is your burning desire to boo & hiss at the pantomime villains Matt Neal & Jason Plato live at the circuit more important than all of that?
Please note that my use of the word "your" in the last sentence does not mean I am aiming this an anyone in particular, it is a general comment prompted by the posts saying that spectators should be allowed.
Need to get back to normal as soon as possible, for everyone's sake.
Too much caution.

People are milling around well within two metres everywhere you look. There were extensive protests in many cities three weekends agio, an no spike in cases. Motorsports is run outdoors, where the risk is minimal. Okay, perhaps close the grandstands, so people space out more.

Judging by city streets in Norwich yesterday, they are still relatively derserted. Many people that otherwise would go racing live would rather not attend at the moment anyway, so crowds wuld in all likleihood be down. Stop prevemting people from doing things, if they are prepared to accept the, (now small), risks.

It's been a long three months, and I really don;t want this whole year to become a write-off.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 07:59 (Ref:3983328)   #6339
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Need to get back to normal as soon as possible, for everyone's sake.
Too much caution.

People are milling around well within two metres everywhere you look. There were extensive protests in many cities three weekends agio, an no spike in cases. Motorsports is run outdoors, where the risk is minimal. Okay, perhaps close the grandstands, so people space out more.

Judging by city streets in Norwich yesterday, they are still relatively derserted. Many people that otherwise would go racing live would rather not attend at the moment anyway, so crowds wuld in all likleihood be down. Stop prevemting people from doing things, if they are prepared to accept the, (now small), risks.

It's been a long three months, and I really don;t want this whole year to become a write-off.
It can take 2-3 weeks in some cases for symptoms to develop. It only takes a few people not to show any symptoms and pass it onto others and suddenly you have a spike a month or more down the line. Even Germany and South Korea are experiencing a secondary spike and they thought they were in the clear.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 08:04 (Ref:3983329)   #6340
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In Germany as I've just read, the spike was located in a meat processing plant and was dealt with locally. So although it hit the stats it was a minimal issue.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 08:11 (Ref:3983330)   #6341
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Stop prevemting people from doing things, if they are prepared to accept the, (now small), risks.
I might not be willing to accept the risk of you forming part of a crowd at a BTCC meeting, and then spreading the infection to me.

As restrictions are being eased in many countries, significant control measures are still in place. Places are not going back to how they were before the infection spread, and we are a long way from being in a position to remove all restrictions.

Racing is possible without a crowd (as demonstrated by other sports). That should be the starting point.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 10:22 (Ref:3983352)   #6342
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
In Germany as I've just read, the spike was located in a meat processing plant and was dealt with locally. So although it hit the stats it was a minimal issue.

In the briefing yesterday the Dep CMO explained that as the number of cases gets down to a low level the R number becomes more unreliable as a measure, so I think we will see the R number quoted less as the absolute defining measurement than we have done before.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 10:25 (Ref:3983353)   #6343
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I might not be willing to accept the risk of you forming part of a crowd at a BTCC meeting, and then spreading the infection to me.

As restrictions are being eased in many countries, significant control measures are still in place. Places are not going back to how they were before the infection spread, and we are a long way from being in a position to remove all restrictions.

Racing is possible without a crowd (as demonstrated by other sports). That should be the starting point.

I have made the point elsewhere in this parish, that as the virus decreases it actually makes large events more cautious than when it was at a high level and they 'knew' what to. No one wants to be the one that inadvertantly starts a second wave at their event, aside from the personal cost to health it would be reputationally disasterous.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3983432)   #6344
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
Track days and test days have been running at circuits for about 2 weeks now so for one second don’t think they are sitting empty not earning money
I was certainly not aware of that in the uk, looked on line and nothing seems to be available until July
Old 23 Jun 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3983436)   #6345
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I was certainly not aware of that in the uk, looked on line and nothing seems to be available until July
https://www.msvtrackdays.com/

'UPCOMING CAR TRACK DAY EVENTS
Wed 24 Jun
Brands Hatch Grand Prix
Fully Booked
from £319.00

Wed 24 Jun
Brands Hatch Indy
Fully Booked
from £129.00

Wed 24 Jun
Snetterton 300
Fully Booked
from £179.00

Wed 24 Jun
Snetterton 300
Fully Booked
from £79.00

Wed 24 Jun
Donington Park National
Fully Booked
from £249.00

Thu 25 Jun
Cadwell Park
Fully Booked
from £169.00

Fri 26 Jun
Oulton Park Drifting
Fully Booked
from £135.00

Wed 1 Jul
Brands Hatch Indy
Fully Booked
from £129.00'
Old 23 Jun 2020, 16:34 (Ref:3983440)   #6346
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They should try at least to not have the BTCC race 3 as the last race of the day. I know the btcc world revolves around the live TV aspect but they should at least try.

This would help to stagger people leaving the venue.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 16:37 (Ref:3983441)   #6347
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's not going to be anyone at the venues.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 18:22 (Ref:3983448)   #6348
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post
Some of the posts on here are ridiculous and way over the top.

Beaches are full, mass protests with huge crowds are happening yet you guys are on about should someone be at a circuit taking photos. Tomorrow we go down to 1 metre restrictions.

Get real. The rounds should be going ahead, with spectators, socially distanced. If Toca was brave enough to say this was happening now it would give circuits time to plan and put preparations in place.
Except it's not tomorrow - it's July 4th this is happening, and they can still reintroduce tighter lockdown measures if the infection rates start to increase again.

IF they do allow spectators in to any of the circuits, why not just allow those that have already pre-booked theirs and not allow any more sales from now on?
Old 23 Jun 2020, 18:47 (Ref:3983449)   #6349
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
It's also not going down to 1 metre.

It's 2 metres, or 1 metre plus. The plus should not be overlooked, because it means other control measures must also be in place such as barriers, screens or masks.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 18:58 (Ref:3983453)   #6350
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theme parks are opening, so what is worse, the layout of a theme park and queuing for rides has got to be harder to manage than a crowd at a racetrack if they were to limit the amount of spectators allowed?