Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Nov 2001, 19:44 (Ref:177401)   #1
ingo
Rookie

ingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quiz 18

Two questions about Grand Prix at Brands Hatch:

a) How did a Mk.III Ford Cortina influence the outcome of a Grand Prix at Brands?

b)In 1970 how much would it have cost one adult to watch both practice days, the Grand Prix itself and to buy a programme. (Clue - it's less than the equivalent at Silverstone in 2002 which I think would total £200.)
Old 21 Nov 2001, 20:25 (Ref:177422)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Cortina belonged to an RAC official (possibly even the Clerk of the Course) and toward the end of the race - the 1974 British GP - was parked helpfully in the exit of the pitlane in order to get the circuit closed efficiently.

Unfortunately, Niki Lauda pitted with a slow puncture, and found his exit blocked by said Repmobile.

An easy fourth place finish - even with the pitstop - was demoted to a "Classified ninth - not running". I think, however, that points were reinstated on appeal.
Old 21 Nov 2001, 21:21 (Ref:177460)   #3
ingo
Rookie

Well answered TimD. Ferrari complained, quite rightly in my view, about the pitlane being blocked and Lauda was eventually awarded fifth place and two points. I was a devoted young Ferrari fan at the time and was desperate to see them win but I deflated along with Lauda's rear tyre. Ickx led in 1970 and 1972, Regazzoni in 1971 and 1975, Lauda in 1974 and 1976 - it took until 1978 before Reutemann managed a proper "on the road" win. Joy at last!
Any idea about the 1970 admission costs?
Old 21 Nov 2001, 21:28 (Ref:177465)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry would have been about £5 entry and £2 for programme. I think that practice was free in those days. I would have to phone a friend (Dad) for confirmation as he still has the programme

SL
Old 21 Nov 2001, 21:44 (Ref:177480)   #5
ingo
Rookie

SL, stop talking about your Dad, you're making me feel even older than I am. Where did he watch from I wonder. I was up against the fence at Clearways, just about where Pescarolo thumped the bank in the screaming Matra and well placed to see poor old Jack Brabham trickle through out of petrol on the last lap.
Prices were even better value than you thought. Practice days were maximum 50p each (I've lost the stubs), programmes were 25p each and adult raceday entry was £1.00! TOTAL £2.25....... and Acker Bilk and the Band of the Welsh Guards thrown in for free. Can't be bad.
Old 21 Nov 2001, 22:00 (Ref:177487)   #6
SL
Veteran

Ingo,

Sorry 'bout making you feel old. I was at the meet as well so do not feel that bad. Just that Dad has the programme I do not !
Funny enough we were for sure at clearways as well. Those 5 am starts and the dash from campsite to the fence. 5 hours of nothing but reading the programme, toilets little more than a trench in the ground, highlight WAS watching Prince Michael land his 'copter etc etc.

Oh for a big screen TV, radio Brands, mobile phones. Youngsters today do not know how lucky they are. In my day 5 to a deck chair, one burger between the whole grandstand...............AND we thought we were lucky !

Simon
Old 21 Nov 2001, 22:08 (Ref:177492)   #7
SL
Veteran

Oh and by the way you are telling porkies. 1970 was the good old money before the metric way. So

-/10 Practice
£1 entry
-/5s Prog

So two day entry would be £1/15s. Therefore I win !!!

This has confused the hell out of the colonials, Aussie's USA's Canadians etc (Those red bits on 1900 maps) and the youngsters.

Simon
Old 22 Nov 2001, 03:20 (Ref:177575)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an inhabitant of one of those 'red lands' I wonder why you think we'd be confused?
Old 22 Nov 2001, 14:58 (Ref:177717)   #9
ingo
Rookie

Quite right, Ray. Don't stand for any nonsense in this post colonial era - hit Simon with your tucker bag. By the way, Rolf Harris is starting yet another new series here in GB; can't you take him back now. Please.
Forgetting Rolf for a minute, can I ask you or others something about the old Tasman series? I've read about the sixties races with top Grand Prix stars but, when I started reading Motoring News here in 1970, I remember the top Tasman drivers including Graeme Lawrence in a Ferrari, Graeme McRae and Frank Matich. McRae was big over here in F5000 but what became of Lawrence and Matich? I still think Frank Gardner was one of the most underrated drivers ever - brilliant in the Mustangs and Camaros, not to mention the F5000 Lola.

Simon, so YOU had the burger at Clearways in 1970. You're right about the early starts. My older brother convinced me that he should get up later and make the sandwiches while I plodded bleary-eyed into the circuit to find a good spot. The RAC saloons were the only supporting event on raceday - the F3 heats and final were all the day before. Hours of sitting, waiting for the racing to start, has left its mark; I can still remember an inane advertising hoarding near the Clearways bridge....."Melaware.... light as air.... break-resistant tableware." At least at Monza someone would have punched holes all over it.
Apologies for going metric. I could have sworn that, in 1970, old and new pennies would have been used together but you're quite right. I found my programme behind the sofa and it shows four shillings, so 20p not 25p my mistake. This, of course, makes your calculations a shilling out so I'm unable to let you have the prize, a trip around Brands on the the winner's lorry, leaning on Jochen Rindt's rear wing trying to bend it to the legal height!
Old 27 Nov 2001, 18:34 (Ref:179458)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frank got fat, McRae builds up replica Porsche Speedsters and Graeme Lawrence has drifted off into obscurity.

The Tasman Cup series was the second most important series promoted by the FIA, it was great!