Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Sep 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1109212)   #1
Trebor
Rookie

Trebor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi in Formula 1 in 2005?

The chance is present that Audi will take over the Jaguar Formula 1 team. That claims at least German newspapers. Audi will have ordered fifty millions euro on Jaguar. Audi would be in expectation of the response of Jaguar. As Audi effectively Jaguar take over, Nick Heidfeld will become driver. Audi already rather the formula 1. Wanted by the guarantee of 48 millions euro became that their belet. That problem does not have Audi in any case if they take over Jaguar.

Translated with: world.altavista.com/tr
Old 28 Sep 2004, 11:38 (Ref:1109218)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trebor.

Whilst something is lost in the translation and whilst it is also speculation, it fits with my theory of a "high end" owner. Audi/VAG own Bugatti I beleive. As such they have a name.

The other side of that, is their continuing success in sportscars. Although the rules are changing so maybe they see this as a good time to jump ship.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1109226)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
VAG could brand the team any of Audi, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Seat, Skoda or Volkswagen. I don't think that's the problem.

I don't think VAG would jump unless they had concrete evidence of cost reduction, as this is what has prevented them jumping in the past.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 12:10 (Ref:1109246)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oooh, Bugatti/Lamborghini!
The prospect alone is mouthwatering!
Old 28 Sep 2004, 12:19 (Ref:1109252)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the budget Audi used to invest in sportscars, well, it shouldn't be too hard to jump ship.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 12:38 (Ref:1109267)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Audi have probably acheived all the publicity they will ever get out of Sportscars, and they haven't beaten major manufacturers to the title in the last couple of years. As the regulations are about to change, it could be the ideal time to move on.

If the regulations change to make F1 cheaper, it could also be the ideal time to enter F1.

I hope they use their own name thoguh, rather than trying to get heritage and prestige out of a name like Bugatti. It'd be the same hollow marketing gesture as the use of the once-proud Jaguar image by soulless and thoughtless execs.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1109269)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed.

I hope it uses the Audi name.

A pairing of Heidfeld and McNish would be good.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1109277)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volkswagen would be better
Old 28 Sep 2004, 12:54 (Ref:1109286)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very good point, Russfeld.

Hadn't even let that cross my mind.

You're right though.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1109315)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Skoda F1. Fabulous! Imagine the shame of being outraced by a Skoda!
Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1109325)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, the Lamborghini badge is the way to go. The competition between them and Ferrari, two of the worlds premier supercar makers, would cause some real excitement.

Audi would be OK also, because they do directly compete with BMW, and Mercedes in the car market. Wouldn't cause as much excitement though, IMO.

The Volkswagen name still doesn't belong in the F1 ranks though. They are going more upscale as of late, but there not there yet.

But in the end, who cares which badge they use, just get in!

Danica Patrick
Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1109330)   #12
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You all seem to forget the Porsche is also part of the VW group. It is very likely that they will use that brand one way or another.

I am happy to see VW coming to F1, but on the other hand I was hoping that they would enter F1 with Sauber.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1109352)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

If VW are coming in, better it be with the current Jag team, than Sauber. Supplying Sauber would not keep two "extra" cars on the grid.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1109362)   #14
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Porsche is not part of the VW group
Old 28 Sep 2004, 14:06 (Ref:1109382)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

Indeed not.

I was wondering what that reference was about!
Old 28 Sep 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1109384)   #16
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
The Volkswagen name still doesn't belong in the F1 ranks though. They are going more upscale as of late, but there not there yet.
What about Renault and Toyota?
Old 28 Sep 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1109390)   #17
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mal you are right. I always thought that they are because Porsche uses VW's sales network in many countries.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1109392)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Or *gasp* Honda?
Old 28 Sep 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1109398)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maserati. That's a name with a fmailiar ring to it.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1109425)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It doesn't make sense for a company to spend $400M a year on a brand that sells a small number of premium vehicles. The manufacturers do it for marketing, so can they justify $400M of marketing in only one area? Ferrari is the exception because they sell a lot of cars (relative to their high prices).

Very basic guess: $400,000,000 (expense) / $100,000 (profit per car) = 4000 cars

So they have to sell atleast thousands of cars as a result of increased marketing activities in F1 and assume that it's the most cost effective way to do it. My profit guess is probably overly optimistic. The numbers don't add up.

Last edited by Snrub; 28 Sep 2004 at 14:42.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1109481)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gwyllion
What about Renault and Toyota?
Renault, Toyota, and Honda differ with Volkswagen, simply because they've been involved with many different types of racing over the years. They have been around the racing world for awhile, and have a wealth of expierience.

Volkswagen, to my knowledge, hasn't been, and to think they can start out in racing at its highest level, F1, is probably not realistic or the way to go.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1109490)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 would hardly be their first start in racing. Me thinks you might want to check the record books. Particularly the past five years. Their development program of the R8 is quite impressive. They definitely have proved that they can take a well conceived design from the drawing board and make it a successful winner. The R8 had a much larger budget than most think, although granted it was nowhere near Formula 1.

With that said, I hope they steer clear of F1, especially at this particular point in time. Let the R9 come forth!
Old 28 Sep 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1109516)   #23
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volkswagen the brand, not VAG.
Old 28 Sep 2004, 16:29 (Ref:1109525)   #24
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought VAG was a significant shareholder in Porsche?
Old 28 Sep 2004, 16:40 (Ref:1109536)   #25
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are VAG not relevant? They would be the ones funding and conducting the operations. Volkswagen is just a brand name.