Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 May 2004, 19:27 (Ref:968037)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My Thoughts on the BTCC Season So Far

I was a board at work today and I got thinking about the BTCC season so far and here are my thoughts.

The new format is really working IMO. I really do think that anyone can win that 2nd race and as the season goes on we are going to have some really strange winners.

I am also really impressed with Seat, I thought they might not come good until second half of the year. I am still not a fan of Plato and I was not a big fan off Huff either after watching Racing Rivals last year, but now I am starting to become a fan.

As for VX they class of the field again, but I am still not sure about Hines. Bentwood is getting better as the season goes on I expect him to take a podium before the year is out. As for the rest of the Vauxhall's Collard has had some bad luck this year, but I think it will come good for him. Then we have two Sureterm cars I think C-BH is still learning the ropes and he will get it right towards the end of the year. I think Burt showed what the potinal of the 2nd car at the weekend

On to the Honda's now. Arena seem to be doing a good job with Chilton, but they need a second car. As Team Dynamics I think that both Neal and Eaves are doing a good job. I think that Kaye in the Synchro is doing OK again, but like Collard they have had lots of bad luck. As for ETCC spec cars I think the jury is still out on Marsh. As for the LPG car Ok it needs some development but it does seem to be getting quicker.

Then we come to the MG's. I think that both Reid and Turkington are doing a fantastic job under the circumstances and I really hope that they can get the finance to see the year out. As for Hughes in the Kartworld car not sure it just seems to be floating round at the back and not doing very much.

Then we have the Proton's. I am really impressed with Watson-Smith he was really on it at Brands 2 weeks ago, didn't seem to be on the same form at Silverstone, but he is certainly quick. I'm not sure about Hairuman he just doesn't seem to have IMO.

I think that Breeze shown what the Alfa can do at the weekend, but has had a lot of bad luck in the first 3 meeting, but things seem to be getting better. I also think that the BMW has a lot of potinal and will get stronger as the year goes on.

As I say I think the series is getting stronger and we have seen some fantastic racing during the 1st 9 rounds and as someone said to me on Sunday after the 3rd race it just like the old days.

Lets just hope the season carrys on the same way.
Old 11 May 2004, 20:12 (Ref:968067)   #2
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah! i must say that I haven't enjoyed the racing like this for a very long time, probably 10 years! Real edge of the seat stuff, and some great names for the future in the grid!

Old 11 May 2004, 21:41 (Ref:968159)   #3
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it gets my vote
Old 12 May 2004, 06:59 (Ref:968355)   #4
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it just me, or is Dan Eaves struggling to get to grips with the Honda?

I really thought that Dan had a touch of genius, with some of his performances in the 307.

I suppose it's difficult for him, since the other two Honda drivers are very experienced (with the Honda).

In the Silverstone races, Dan seemed to have very poor racecraft. Other cars could catch, and then pass him quite easily. This doesn't seem right.

Come on, Dan!
Old 12 May 2004, 13:09 (Ref:968684)   #5
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the series is great ands living up to my expectations.

- etcc seats surprisingly quick, also very impressed with huff.

- hairuman has a lot to learn, i think he should be replaced by someone with more experience.

- i dont think the mgs should be independents the only thing that isnt works about the team is the lack of funding from mg and the manufacturer registration that goes with it.
I mean has an independent team ever developed a new engine for their car over the winter before - i think not.

- hines should be better, he isnt going to finish 3rd in the championship.

- Is the ballast too much? the guy who wins the first race has no chance of winning the second.

- I was expecting neal to be more competitive.

- Breeze, Watson Smith and Keen must be pretty peeved people keep taking them out and nothings done.

- Honda works team need more drivers to challenge vauxhall

- Chilton manages to re-arrange the front of his car at least once in every meeting!

- etcc civics surprisingly slow
Old 12 May 2004, 13:39 (Ref:968726)   #6
KPC
Racer

England
Well below that pie in the sky
KPC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the end of last season we were all doom and gloom. Just goes to show. I think it highlights that privateering is actually the name of the game. It's been a long ole slog back to greatness since the 2001 regs were introduced but we're there now. Let's hope it lasts.
Old 12 May 2004, 15:42 (Ref:968850)   #7
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the ETCC Honda's just need time. There seems to be lots going on with Varta behind the scenes that we don't know about regarding the relationship with Barwell that means they won't now get the second car so this is bound to cause a few problems in getting the car up to race speed. If, and when, they do get the car right i think it will move up the grid, as will the LPG car once Mardi Gras can get the best from the technology.
Old 12 May 2004, 16:01 (Ref:968876)   #8
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_S
There seems to be lots going on with Varta behind the scenes that we don't know about regarding the relationship with Barwell that means they won't now get the second car so this is bound to cause a few problems in getting the car up to race speed.
Barwell and Varta are no longer linked up after contractual disagreements so Varta will not be buying the #2 Civic.

And as far as the ETCC Civic goes, Barwell chose well not to compete with this car. JAS introduced the new Accord in the ETCC and it was already a second quicker than the Civic and that's straight out of the box!!! If JAS can't make the ETCC Civic work, I doubt there's any chance for Varta!
Old 12 May 2004, 16:35 (Ref:968911)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OTOH, if JAS always knew the Accord was going to replace the Civic, perhaps they didn't put too much effort on a car that was only a temporary racer? Perhaps the Civic was only an expensive(??) testbed for the Accord?
Old 12 May 2004, 20:32 (Ref:969131)   #10
DiscoGoober
Racer

DiscoGoober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by btcc-thunder
- i dont think the mgs should be independents the only thing that isnt works about the team is the lack of funding from mg and the manufacturer registration that goes with it.
I mean has an independent team ever developed a new engine for their car over the winter before - i think not.
Theoretically, when the privateer Alfa Romeo 147s and Lexus IS200s of 2001 were developed, they had to have new engines developed. As long as the team has enough money to do it, why should it be a problem?
Old 12 May 2004, 21:08 (Ref:969172)   #11
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Difference is, this MG engine is seriously powerful! and just as reliable
Old 12 May 2004, 21:30 (Ref:969203)   #12
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by speedy king
Difference is, this MG engine is seriously powerful! and just as reliable
Athe development though the year will be independently funded and classing them as a works team would be unfair on them in that respect. The works guys have multi-million pound budgets whereas MG are begging for money. £2million short on budget means they will almost certainly drop back as they year progesses unless they find a major backer.
Old 13 May 2004, 16:13 (Ref:969997)   #13
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
OTOH, if JAS always knew the Accord was going to replace the Civic, perhaps they didn't put too much effort on a car that was only a temporary racer? Perhaps the Civic was only an expensive(??) testbed for the Accord?
Don't think the Civic has ever been particularly competitive in the ETCC either, so I'm not particularly surprised that the ETCC versions seen in the BTCC this year have been off the pace, particularly when you look at the circumstances around the two entries....
Old 13 May 2004, 18:36 (Ref:970130)   #14
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
Don't think the Civic has ever been particularly competitive in the ETCC either, so I'm not particularly surprised that the ETCC versions seen in the BTCC this year have been off the pace, particularly when you look at the circumstances around the two entries....
Yes - totally agree! Barwell should return next year with 2 JAS-built Accords and kick some VX ass!
Old 14 May 2004, 09:49 (Ref:970716)   #15
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there not a rumour that the Honda works outfit could be back next year?

If so it may be that they are working on an Accord - just a thought.
Old 17 May 2004, 10:39 (Ref:973156)   #16
Antrim Boy
Rookie

Antrim Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be good to see synchro make it good this year and JK to take his first ever BTCC win those boys work hard to prep what is the best looking car on the grid. Well done Synchro