Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Feb 2003, 10:48 (Ref:500435)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It's almost time, folks!

Yes, folks, it's almost that time again! Almost time to get your tent and sleeping bad from your garden shed, time to dust off that map that has sat in the boot of your car for the past months, time to get your car serviced for those long journeys ahead... it's time to prepare for the start of the new season!

So - tell us what your plans are for the season? Are there any events that you simply MUST go to? Are there any new circuits you plan to visit? Any new series you can't wait to see?

For me, my new season, kicks off in a forest near Bournemouth two weeks today. I'll be at the Rallye Sunseeker for my second visit. I went last year with some good friends and it was awesome fun - would recommend it to anyone. After that I hope to visit Mondello for the BTCC, and then do as many meetings of that series as possible.

I am lucky enought to have visited pretty much all of the British circuits currently operated - Anglesey, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Castle Combe, Croft, Donington Park, Knockhill, Oulton Park, Mallory Park, Rockingham Silverstone, Snetterton, Thruxton - and I am looking forward to 'completing the set' this year. I will be visiting both Lydden Hill and Pembrey for clubbie meetings and I would also like to get along to the Goodwood Revival and also make a visit to Santa Pod.

The two race meetings that I am looking forward to the most are the CART/BTCC meeting at Brands Hatch and, of course, the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans. I plan to drive to LM for the first time this year in my camper van, which could prove interesting! I am also contemplating the idea of driving across to Spa - that is one circuit that I would love to see!

Having started the season with a rally I think Imight just bring it to a close with one - the Welsh We Love Wales Rally of Wales or whatever they call the RAC nowadays...!

All in all, another busy year. Bring it on.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:21 (Ref:500489)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Don't forget Kirkistown Craig - a very underrated circuit that always seems to get left off people's lists! This year is thr 50th anniversary of Kirky and it's proposed that there will be a Kents Formula Ford Festival - this should be well worth a visit for anyone who enjoys fast, close racing!

I'm hoping to make the CART/BTCC at Brands as well - dependent on getting selected of course. I'm also hoping to go to the FFF at Brands again this year.

There's loads of stuff that I'd also love to go to, but it's all time and money dependent. There are 2 rounds of the BRDA at Anglesey this year and I'd also very much like to visit Shelsley Walsh!
Old 8 Feb 2003, 11:56 (Ref:500542)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
One day I might be able to add that to my list, but for now I'll concentrate on getting to all of the British circuits.

I forgot to add in my original post - Rallycross is back at Brands - a must see!
Old 8 Feb 2003, 13:11 (Ref:500583)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
See you at Le Mans Craig......
Old 8 Feb 2003, 16:37 (Ref:500677)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
See you at Le Mans Craig......
See u there Ayse..................

My plans for the year goes something like this Cart/BTCC race and then the BTCC at Silverstone, Rockingham, Croft, Donnington and Oulton. But the highlight of the year will again be my trip the Le Mans.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 19:24 (Ref:500780)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
highlights are always the formula ford festival, and the last round of the touring cars.

perticular highlights this year include mondello btcc (fingers crossed ye coffers can handle it...), and brands cart.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 19:42 (Ref:500790)   #7
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highlights for me will be marshalling at Long Beach in April for the CART race if the SCCA accept me (first ever visit) and Le Mans in June (second visit); travel arrangements for both are already booked. Also, CART at Brands (if I am selected by BARC). Oh, and another 30 or so days at various UK circuits (mainly Brands Hatch).
Old 9 Feb 2003, 08:15 (Ref:501229)   #8
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once again I seem to be completely disorganised in what races I plan to go to. I have got as far as cleaning out the car this weekend - the theory being that it starts the season looking about as immaculate as it ever gets and then proceeds to acquire a season's worth of junk.
Hopefully I'll be going to as many BTCC meetings as possible, any interesting club race meetings and I would like to go to Goodwood, but I don't know what else it might clash with.
I will also say the same thing I've been saying for the last 10 years, I want to get to watch something at a foreign race circuit. I might say that, but it just never seems to happen.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 08:25 (Ref:501230)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
hmmm... well the fact you don't like the idea of flying or travelling on a ferry could have been a problem in the past! At least now we have the Channel Tunnel so no excuses now (unless you don't like tunnels too?)

Goodwood Festival is 11-13 July which clashes with Croft BTCC. The Revival meeting is 5-7 September which clashes with Donington BTCC. So it looks like I'll have to give the Revival a miss again this year.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 08:39 (Ref:501238)   #10
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
hmmm... well the fact you don't like the idea of flying or travelling on a ferry could have been a problem in the past! At least now we have the Channel Tunnel so no excuses now (unless you don't like tunnels too?)
Arse
Quote:

Goodwood Festival is 11-13 July which clashes with Croft BTCC. The Revival meeting is 5-7 September which clashes with Donington BTCC. So it looks like I'll have to give the Revival a miss again this year.
I had a sneaky feeling that the Festival clashed with Croft, hadn't realised that the Revival clashed as well Every year it seems that the Festival has to clash with the BTCC
Old 9 Feb 2003, 17:39 (Ref:501558)   #11
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've noticed that some Mighty Mini races clash with the BTCC. Not good from my point of view. Think I may have to think carefully about which ones to attend (although I think the mini's will win).

But I fully-intend to be at Snetterton to watch Chris Y hurtling round in a 2CV.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:00 (Ref:501770)   #12
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I plan attending a few race meetings this year - what are the 'must-see' events?
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:03 (Ref:501775)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
That's what this topic is all about...! Brands BTCC/Cart is gonna be one of the highlights of the year for many. But maybe it'll be a bit of a trek for you from Wales? There's not much on at Anglesey really, so maybe a trip to the BTCC finale at Oulton Park?
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:08 (Ref:501778)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I'll be back in Coventry over the summer/easter - and I don't mind a wee trek...
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:16 (Ref:501785)   #15
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
That's a pity - Easter would have been a short trip to the ferry boat and a visit to Mondello for you!

Coventry means Silverstone, Donington, Rockingham, Mallory - loads to do!
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:30 (Ref:501800)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I can always stay!
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:40 (Ref:501808)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Not sure I can pick out a single 'must see'. So far in the diary I have:
All BTCC rounds (inc Mondello and CART @ Brands)
DTM @ Donny
FIA GT/ETCC @ Donny
2CV 24hrs
Robin Hood Stages
Tempest Stages

Need to sit down with the schedules and fill in the free weekends. Hopefully add some/all of the following:
Rally GB
Rallycross @ Brands (and/or maybe Croft)
Formula Saloons
Mighty Minis
2CVs
F3/GT
SEAT Supacopa
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:43 (Ref:501810)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
I'd love to go to the 24 hour 2CV race - and I have to see those Maestros in action at some point! I want to squeeze a spot of marshalling in now that I've been bitten by the bug...Rallycross sounds good...I wouldn't mind seeing the DTM actually
Old 10 Feb 2003, 13:42 (Ref:502338)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
apart from the Cart round at brands.......most looking forward to the Festival.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 14:13 (Ref:502375)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My races (lots oif clubbie stuff), Le Mans (of course) and CART at Brands are the only certainties at the moment.

I don't think I will be doing a GP this year, but instead I think we'll replace that with a trip to the 24hour race at Spa (there you go Bernie, an alternative! Ha!)

Some others will probably happen, but these will be last minute decisions.

We actually thought about getting a 2CV and entering the 24 hour race, but found out it was on the same weekend as Le Mans so it became nothig more than a cool conversation over a few pints
Old 11 Feb 2003, 09:21 (Ref:503101)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Nothing at Anglesey? Bite your tongue! There will be 2 fab rounds of the BRDA rallyX there in June and July respectively and we (provisionally) will be coming over to do an Irish meet there later on in the year.

24hour 2CV comes very highly recommended - a great time for everyone and I really hope I can get over to marshal it.

If you embrace anything with a motor, Mondello will be receiving their first visit from the Superbikes this year which promises to be absolutely spectacular.

As noted, Kirkistown will be holding at least 1, possibly 2, festivals this year for their 50th anniversary. A very underrated circuit, but situated in the most beautiful countryside. If you're planning to go away for a week, you could do a lot worse than the Ards peninsula!

(Honest Pumpkins Travel Service strikes again - it really is gorgeous though - there's nothing I enjoy more than driving back from the circuit as the sun is setting over the sea.......)

And like everyone in the orange army, I'm hoping I may get picked for CART at Brands!
Old 11 Feb 2003, 16:52 (Ref:503488)   #22
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Nothing at Anglesey? Bite your tongue! There will be 2 fab rounds of the BRDA rallyX there in June and July respectively
Like I say...
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:20 (Ref:503534)   #23
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Don't make me get my smiting stick!
Old 11 Feb 2003, 17:21 (Ref:503538)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Do whatever you want girl. Just don't do it in public as I'm sure it's illegal within the EC?
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:34 (Ref:503879)   #25
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's got Mini's I'll be there-It's the best racing to be fair. Then there's rumbling ASCAR-the noise is the nicest by far. Some say BTCC saloons - the drivers act like bafoons. Formula Fords have good grids - and produce the most skids. One make series action is never poor - I guess you'll find me there for sure!