Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Apr 2005, 07:56 (Ref:1268459)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Aren't we missing something?

One week to go until Long Beach!

And, while our discussions have revolved around drivers and teams this Silly Season, have we overlooked one very important point?

We have no Chief Steward.
Old 3 Apr 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1268465)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
why dont we have a cheif steward ????

whats going on I for one have certainly missed this point (guess i have been too interested in getting to the bottom of my Jim beam bottle )
Old 3 Apr 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1268486)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it really needed? I think they should let them go out and give 'em handbags in the event of a controversial collision...
Old 3 Apr 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1268763)   #4
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heh, 5 days for me until first practice lights up my computer on the Race Director!

It'll be nice to see some practicing with the cars out on track actually practicing as well!

Given some of the decisions made by the last Race steward (penalising Tracy at Road America, for one) then I'm glad we don't have one yet either!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1269014)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
It's so close to the first race, that anybody they may hire won't even have enough time to read the rulebook.

Perhaps one of these folks will also serve as Chief Steward? Even on an interim basis?

Tony Cotman (Vice-President, Operations)
Paul "Ziggy" Harcus (Director, Operations)
Billy Kamphausen (Director, Logistics)
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1269068)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe they're employing a proportianal represetantion elect drivers committee? So all drivers get to vote who was naughtly and collisions (like they seem to have started doing in F1).

Tracy, watch out!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1269092)   #7
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll do it!

Or maybe macdaddy?
Old 3 Apr 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1269110)   #8
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe it will be a new feature on Race Director?

Investigation into collision with cars 3, 6 & 10

VOTE NOW ON WHO TO GIVE THE STOP & GO:
A. PAUL TRACY
B. BRUNO JUNQUEIRA
C. NO PENALTY
Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1269263)   #9
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always C until after the race....

Penalty for next race if necessary!
Old 3 Apr 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1269280)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
You're probably tongue-in-cheek codename, but I disagree. That's where Kniefel failed. Decisions must be made instantly, or ASAP after video review. I've seen too many races where it took dozens of laps before a decision was made. I remember reading this offseason that CC had taken steps to reduce the number of "channels" taken between observer and steward, and that the corner workers would be given a much more immediate "say" in penalties.

But I still cannot believe that we're days away from racing, with no Chief Steward. And I can't believe that it had slipped all of our minds for so long!

Last edited by macdaddy; 3 Apr 2005 at 22:05.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 06:27 (Ref:1269464)   #11
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I am sure that they can find someone on an interm basis, like Wally Dallenbach. Someone will step up in the meantime.

It's a tough job, no doubt. I liken it to being an NBA coach - you try to get all of the calls right but ecery once-in-a-while some just slip past you. And you may make instaneous calls that are wrong.

I guess this is another human element in racing!
Old 4 Apr 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1270130)   #12
SPRacer
Racer

United States
St. Petersburg, FL
SPRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think PT may have scared off all of the potential candidates.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1270144)   #13
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
You're probably tongue-in-cheek codename, but I disagree. That's where Kniefel failed. Decisions must be made instantly, or ASAP after video review. I've seen too many races where it took dozens of laps before a decision was made. I remember reading this offseason that CC had taken steps to reduce the number of "channels" taken between observer and steward, and that the corner workers would be given a much more immediate "say" in penalties.
Hmmm, I'm amazingly agreeing with the F1 approach in this one...

Too many races in F1 (and Champcar too) have been ruined by incorrect penalties dished out far too quickly before all the evidence has been looked at. So they changed the procedure from dishing out stop and go's during the race to waiting until after the race, looking at all of the evidence and also allowing both drivers to explain their sides of the story about what happened.
THEN issue a penalty if necessary.

Take Road America last year for example, Tracy (one lap down) hit the back of Junqueria under braking for turn 3.
A penalty was immediatly assesed, because Tracy, being a lap down, hit Junqueria in the back, so clearly it must've been his fault....right??

Well, not quite, because Tracy had just come out of the pits and was on cold tyres. When Bruno tried to pass him he made the move then pulled directly in front of Tracy and braked hard, not a problem for him on his warmer tyres.
But Tracy needed a longer braking distance with cold tyres and Bruno didn't account for this when he moved over right in front of Tracy.

Not deliberate, but Bruno had more to do with the crash than first thought, yet it was Tracy's race that was ruined by the penalty......fair??
Old 5 Apr 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1270950)   #14
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The steward for Long Beach will be Beaux Barfield, assisted by Gary Barnard. I am particularly happy to see Gary back, as he is a damned fine hand at rules interpretation (he was our Chief Observer for many years and knows how to use corner workers' observations), and the drivers respect him. I hope this will result in faster decisions -- from my experience it should but you never know who's going to want to put their oar in.

keke
Old 6 Apr 2005, 00:35 (Ref:1271361)   #15
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree Keke, and Tony Cotman is the race director.

He certainly has some interesting ideas for the way forward.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=8687

It's going to be a fun weekend working with them again.

See you there Keke.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1271762)   #16
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy
Tony Cotman is the race director.
Is he worth $30 a month?