Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 31 Dec 2022, 17:05 (Ref:4138572)   #276
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
McLaren LMDh makes most sense.

With so many manufacturers already involved I don't think we will see other big car manufacturers join.
Yeah, you would have to wonder who would be left at this point, with any interest. I mean other than every internet rumor of those crazy kids in Korea.

McLaren LMDh would make the most sense if he finds the right guy to buy them and run them through United, double pay for Zak there. But I would guess with their yes, no, maybe, well maybeeee there's little to no chance of one coming any time soon.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 01:46 (Ref:4138605)   #277
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
McLaren LMDh makes most sense.

With so many manufacturers already involved I don't think we will see other big car manufacturers join.
I'm guessing there'll be a few more left field prospects. Only big name missing is Ford. And perhaps Jaguar. Audi and Aston won't be at the party obviously and it's hard to imagine Mercedes branching out from F1.
Old 1 Jan 2023, 12:45 (Ref:4138663)   #278
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
More prospective stuff here: https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...thing-yet.html

HNY everyone!
Old 1 Jan 2023, 23:46 (Ref:4138690)   #279
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
More prospective stuff here: https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...thing-yet.html

HNY everyone!
If even one of those manufacturers adds a program it would be amazing.

In other news, the new Ferrari GT3 looks amazing naked:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/t...ce-cup-effort/
Old 2 Jan 2023, 00:02 (Ref:4138691)   #280
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wouldn’t get too excited, but hopefully we will have a few more makes this year
Old 2 Jan 2023, 13:43 (Ref:4138718)   #281
Coach Ep
Veteran

We'll probably see 1 or 2 more privateer Porsches in 2024 as well:

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...s-in-2024.html

Edit: Yet, no customer Acuras: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/n...ura-lmdh-cars/
(It won't rule out additional cars fielded by the two mentioned works efforts!)

Last edited by Coach Ep; 2 Jan 2023 at 13:53.
Old 2 Jan 2023, 21:25 (Ref:4138748)   #282
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
We'll probably see 1 or 2 more privateer Porsches in 2024 as well:

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...s-in-2024.html

Edit: Yet, no customer Acuras: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/n...ura-lmdh-cars/
(It won't rule out additional cars fielded by the two mentioned works efforts!)
I appreciate the honesty of Honda admitting they don't have the tools to service customer teams in the way Porsche does. Also the fact that they mentioned lmdh has been way pricier than anticipated. Saying lots of stuff was breaking in testing, heavier cars are harder on components.
Old 3 Jan 2023, 20:01 (Ref:4138842)   #283
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
The NSX of Gradient Racing will be piloted by Legge and Monk for the full season. This is a step up for Monk after competing in the GS class in MPC for the past couple years.

https://racer.com/2023/01/03/legge-m...l-imsa-season/
Old 4 Jan 2023, 18:06 (Ref:4138929)   #284
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
BMW cutting it really close on GTP prep

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/f...rolex-24-prep/

Looks like 2nd chassis will just be shaken down right before load in for the Roar.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 18:20 (Ref:4138931)   #285
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...thing-yet.html

Thank you, Graham. Looks like what I posted a couple months ago is coming out like I said. People in the sport are coming around, checking the rules and regs, and liking what they see. Plans and phone calls being made, contracts being signed, and by '25 we'll see a "bumper crop" of manufacturers, cars and teams.

The only thing slowing things down is, as noted, post-covid issues with manufacturing and supply. Of course when those are hammered out, and others get to see the first of these new racers on track, decisions will be made.

So far, a few recent ones have put a smile on my face. Isotta Faschini chosing to go with Mercedes engines, Ford having a change of thought about an entry, and other manufacturers asking about this, including Hyundai.

and this is just the start.
Old 4 Jan 2023, 21:37 (Ref:4138948)   #286
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
GTP teams are confident that they will win the Rolex, unless something breaks, then.....

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/t...-rolex-24-win/
Old 5 Jan 2023, 08:39 (Ref:4138965)   #287
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm guessing there'll be a few more left field prospects. Only big name missing is Ford. And perhaps Jaguar. Audi and Aston won't be at the party obviously and it's hard to imagine Mercedes branching out from F1.
Fairly sure Jaguar's early commitment to E cars only a few years back and their Formula E involvement makes them a non-starter. McLaren maybe 2025 (do have a 30 year win anniverary) but have been selling off their heritage cars cheaply lately and have F1 costs etc
Old 5 Jan 2023, 13:18 (Ref:4138986)   #288
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just don't get the same optimistic everyone wants to be here feeling.
Jag has gone electric and believe in the not too distant future they claim they will be all electric so mild hybrid really isn't that path.

Aston will only if Lance needs a place to play and that could be GTs just as easily.

McLaren seems to always be hitting up the ME for money and expansion of the pool of investors, the guaranteed buyback of the road cars if you bought a new one hurt their bottom line badly.

Ford, well I'll believe that when the cars are entered and appear in a race and I might care when the BoP isn't magically adjusted and the sandbags fall away without penalty.

Hyundai/Kia haven't really moved since the continuous rebodying of the TCR car but they don't have a 2dr Genesis any longer to make a GT4 or 3 car. But been rumored for forever so if the appear is a bonus not expected

Chrysler/SRT/Dodge/Stellantis brand of the month-MAYBE with a rebadged Puegeot but do they think the Hypercar/GTP balance will be right and costs. Challenger/Charger are going stupid electric with moronic V8 speakers to play vroom-vrooms

MB could if LH or Toto decide to move on and they hide some F1 employees over in a sportscar but they haven't exactly been the biggest LM fans, but they are pushing the AMG-One and could then build a smaller "One Light" and do have a huge GT sales and trackside presence in IMSA

Mazda could IF they get their feet back under them and sell more SUVs but based on my Atlanta driving experience only their numbers are not what they once were on the road

I like the idea of more wanting to play but at some point there is a limit to numbers and new teams. And most importantly, builders for said cars. If IMSA ends up running GTP and GT in different races is it still IMSA or just SRO with GTP cars
Old 5 Jan 2023, 13:58 (Ref:4138995)   #289
Coach Ep
Veteran

Ferrari is the obvious one that IMSA should go all out to attract to their series, the potential for marketing and publicity gains is huge. Once Maranello is in, I'd expect Ford will take a hard look at joining as well.

Just day dreaming.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4138998)   #290
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I don't see imsa letting the lmh cars in while they have strong lmdh subscription. I will say it feels difficult to predict who comes in next. We've already seen a few projects get canned, I half feel all the players are already at the table.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 16:43 (Ref:4139016)   #291
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I don't see imsa letting the lmh cars in while they have strong lmdh subscription. I will say it feels difficult to predict who comes in next. We've already seen a few projects get canned, I half feel all the players are already at the table.
Well, almost all, with Lambo and Alpine coming 2024

We just finished DPi with only 2 manufacturers competing. I feel like 3 is the minimum in the top class to make it fun, especially if they sell customer cars. Right now we are starting with 4, will anymore join IMSA on a full time? Lambo next year for enduros but who knows after that.

As to your other point, IMSA made it clear they don't want Glick in the series, but if Toyota or Ferrari were inquiring I'm sure something could be done.
Old 5 Jan 2023, 21:54 (Ref:4139051)   #292
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
60 Entries wasn't good enough for the 61st running of the Rolex 24. SunEnergy1 Mercedes has been added to the list.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/s...olex-24-entry/
Old 6 Jan 2023, 00:18 (Ref:4139063)   #293
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Well, almost all, with Lambo and Alpine coming 2024

We just finished DPi with only 2 manufacturers competing. I feel like 3 is the minimum in the top class to make it fun, especially if they sell customer cars. Right now we are starting with 4, will anymore join IMSA on a full time? Lambo next year for enduros but who knows after that.

As to your other point, IMSA made it clear they don't want Glick in the series, but if Toyota or Ferrari were inquiring I'm sure something could be done.
Yeah I get what you're saying, I was implying they're at the table even if the car's not ready yet. I do think imsa was protecting gm and hpd from boutique competition as you mention with glick. But I also think they'll protect their homegrown formula from global competition just the same. I don't want to believe this even in the Ferrari's case, but imsa has shown themselves to protect original buy in type partners.
Old 6 Jan 2023, 12:57 (Ref:4139100)   #294
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
But it will be hard if Ferrari announces their intention to enter IMSA for the full season with a car and factory drivers with the rules written to allow crossover. They do and watch those IMSA cars suddenly be sitting idle come June. Just the enduros would be a tougher case for a team as they could argue full season teams have preference. But IMSA has a history of cutting off their foot cause they stumped their toe
Old 6 Jan 2023, 16:01 (Ref:4139104)   #295
Coach Ep
Veteran

No way IMSA will turn down a Ferrari NAEC campaign - or even Daytona only entry request.
Old 7 Jan 2023, 17:18 (Ref:4139202)   #296
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
More driver lineups are being confirmed

Rick Ware Racing will have Eric Lux and Pietro Fittipaldi in the Oreca 07 for the whole season.

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...programme.html

And now both Kellymoss and Riley Porsche entries are full season:

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/...-gtd-crew.html
Old 7 Jan 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4139204)   #297
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually, the real reason has to do with another major entity that most of us have forgotten or not considered: US Government, namely Dept. of Transportation as well as Dept. of Treasury (IRS).

It's how the case for Cunningham Cars failed, and how Shelby and Panoz succeeded.

Not to mention, how Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, and other makes have gained exceptance to race in the US. It's about numbers, not only imported, but also sold and serviced with a stable, reliable network of dealerships. More about Uncle Sam than about "Big Bill". That's the reason why Alpine(Renault), Pugeot, Isotta Fraschini, and others won't be racing in IMSA, no representation in the US. When the WEC make their appearance here, you'll see them, but only then.

I wouldn't be surprised if Glickenhaus is in a similar situation,..
Old 9 Jan 2023, 03:50 (Ref:4139277)   #298
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Whether IMSA chooses to let a car race has ZERO to do with US approval of the car. It's whether IMSA has decided they like the car and then if they are willing to let them be a "partner" and pay the fees. US importation already allows Ferraris so not allowing an LMh spec vs GTP spec car, or Toyota/Lexus as well, would not have any government involvement or restriction.

Oh and IMSA allows a car that's never been, nor ever will be, introduced to the US to run in TCR, the Guilietta. Alfa sells but does not race other cars but your point doesn't hold there either in the strictest sense.

Cunningham failed due to price and poor management not government interference. As with many other boutique brands that have come and gone. Successful ones were managed well and sold cars for reasonable (to their target audience) price and then supported them, bad ones did not. De Tomaso isn't around any longer either but wasn't due to government outside of fuel and emissions concerns but that could have been corrected
Old 10 Jan 2023, 21:26 (Ref:4139638)   #299
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I guess the reasons the SunEnergy car was given the 61st entry make a little more sense now with the announcement of Will Power as part of the driving lineup

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/i...1-for-daytona/
Old 11 Jan 2023, 01:50 (Ref:4139658)   #300
Coach Ep
Veteran

Unbelievable he never ventured out into sportscars before!

Also, 57 cars for the Endurance Cup @ Rd. Atlanta will be insane.