Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Apr 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1587949)   #1
Skeet_Tong
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire
Skeet_Tong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim Clark Tribute Weekend at Crimond Raceway

Good Evening Gents & Gentleladies,

Hope I don't step on any feet here, but I'd like to extend an invitation to any Historic Racers who may be interested in participating in the Jim Clark Tribute Weekend at Crimond Raceway on June 17th & 18th. Whilst many petrolheads will be overdosing at the Le Mans 24hours during the same weekend, northeast Scotland's motorsport fans will be treated to a mini-festival which will showcase most of Scotland's different racing classes and clubs, with a few special guests thrown in for free.

Our guest of honour will be Ian Scott Watson - the very man who loaned Jim his car for his first ever motor race, which took place on June 16th 1956 on Crimond's old airfield circuit, hence the reason for the Tribute Weekend. The event will commemorate 50 years since that very first motor race for the soon to be World Champion, and rather than mark the tragically short life of a true legend, the event will also celebrate his life, legacy and inspiration that continues to live on to this day. If the event manages to make one wee lad convince his dad to buy him a kart because he "wants to be a racing driver just like Jim", then I will consider it to be a bigger success than I ever could imagine. Ian will hopefully have a few more friends from the "glory" years coming along with him too, no doubt to share some stories of the laps gone by!

On the Saturday, the Aberdeen & District Motor Club will be showcasing Autotesting, Hillclimbing and Rallying with a little help from the Stonehaven Motor Club and the Grampian Auto Club, whilst a few faces from the Scottish Motor Racing Club will also be in attendance. The Grampian Kart Club will be bringing down a few examples of their racing, and "Live the Dream Promotions" will also be making their first visit to the track with their awesome two 2-seater BriSCA F1 Stock Cars. All attentions on the Sunday turn to a full programme of Stock Car Racing, with the headline coming from the BriSCA F2's who will be racing for World Championship Qualifying Points - a number of English based drivers are already registering an interest in competing at the sport's most northerly outpost.

This event is being organised by a committee of volunteers who all share a massive enthusiasm for motorsport, and we are in negotiations to try and secure the services of at least one classic Clark machine - any help you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. I do hope this event will become a regular fixture on the motorsport calendar in Scotland, as the response so far has been unbelievable. However, anything else that could make this event that wee bit more extra special, would be hugely appreciated by the Scottish motorsport fans. Please feel free to get in contact with any suggestions or if you'd just like some more information on jimclarktribute@yahoo.co.uk - thanks in advance, hope to see some of you there!

Scott J Keith

Jim Clark Tribute Event Organiser
Crimond Stock Car Promotions Committee Member & PR Officer
Scottish Stock Car Commentator
Old 19 Apr 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1588367)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This really should have been cleared by the mods on this forum before posting (see FAQs). However, as it is promoting 'our' kind of event, I'm happy to leave it here. Any enquiries, please direct to Scott by PM or through the website mentioned above, as I am going to lock the thread. I will however 'stick' it so that it stays at the top of the page for a while.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 09:02 (Ref:1641406)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Since the event date has now passed, I've unstuck this, retitled and reopened the thread. Anyone like to tell us how this event fared? Was it a success?