Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Mar 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4145747)   #426
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Legends!
Old 4 Mar 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4145753)   #427
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
On a different note... Some of you may know that Iain has a significant birthday coming up. What better way to celebrate it than a trip to the Olympic velodrome at Lee Valley?

...believe me, the banking looks a lot steeper in real life.

We both did a flying lap at the end of the session and were separated by just a few hundreths. Can't wait to have another go.
I did the taster session at Lea Valley in early February - but without the timed flying lap at the end. With just four people on the day we had plenty of track time and it was great fun. Very surprising just how quickly you get accustomed to riding on the 2nd or 3rd lines on the banking. As for the speed boost you get if you ride the top of the corner banking and then swop down...
Then there's the little ego boost from being the oldest on track, but not the slowest.
Old 5 Mar 2023, 12:28 (Ref:4145803)   #428
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
We need to have another go . Tenths outing . May be Louis would come over as well . ?
Old 5 Mar 2023, 12:45 (Ref:4145806)   #429
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
We need to have another go . Tenths outing . May be Louis would come over as well . ?
He'd make mincemeat of us.
Old 6 Mar 2023, 11:05 (Ref:4146010)   #430
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Unless he's stuck in the wind tunnel with his Lotus!
Old 8 Mar 2023, 12:34 (Ref:4146295)   #431
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Velodrome requires a track bike, maybe I should take my GT Superbike out for the occasion?

Old 8 Mar 2023, 13:06 (Ref:4146301)   #432
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Velodrome requires a track bike, maybe I should take my GT Superbike out for the occasion?

You can go off some people you know.
Old 8 Mar 2023, 13:12 (Ref:4146302)   #433
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

If you come, I'll put up the Challenge prize.!!
Old 8 Mar 2023, 16:17 (Ref:4146329)   #434
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the problems withe bikes that Iain and I rode was toe overlap. It doesn't look like it would be a problem on that bike!
Old 8 Mar 2023, 16:34 (Ref:4146336)   #435
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last time I went I wasn't allowed to use cleats, I had to use straps on the pedals. Is that still the case?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 Mar 2023, 16:40 (Ref:4146337)   #436
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One of the problems withe bikes that Iain and I rode was toe overlap.
Crikey, Toe overlap? I only know about toe-in and toe-out!
Old 8 Mar 2023, 17:33 (Ref:4146341)   #437
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Crikey, Toe overlap? I only know about toe-in and toe-out!
And dont even think about sending them on the castor track!
Old 8 Mar 2023, 18:57 (Ref:4146352)   #438
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Only if you ride it in that condition to give the rest of us a chance - or bring over the Lotus for everyone to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Last time I went I wasn't allowed to use cleats, I had to use straps on the pedals. Is that still the case?

They only allow Look Keo (3 bolt system) cleats, not the SPD (2 bolt) cleats. I did my taster using trainers and a flat platform with straps that they clip onto the pedals, but would use the cleats if I have another go.
Old 9 Mar 2023, 07:55 (Ref:4146412)   #439
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I'm up for a Tenths outing. Not sure my shoes will take Look cleats, will have to check. I ride Spuds.

Old 9 Mar 2023, 07:57 (Ref:4146413)   #440
Alan Morgan
Veteran

It's £7 to hire shoes with Look Keo cleats.
Old 9 Mar 2023, 08:10 (Ref:4146416)   #441
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
One of the problems withe bikes that Iain and I rode was toe overlap. It doesn't look like it would be a problem on that bike!
Presumably, because of the banking, the need to steer is minimal?
Old 9 Mar 2023, 09:08 (Ref:4146421)   #442
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Pete . I must admit I was a little intimidated when we turned up looking at the banking . Looking forward to going back with more confidence . You get your head down and ride like Eddie Merc’s . The bike takes you round . No need to steer .
Old 9 Mar 2023, 11:09 (Ref:4146433)   #443
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Pete . I must admit I was a little intimidated when we turned up looking at the banking . Looking forward to going back with more confidence . You get your head down and ride like Eddie Merc’s . The bike takes you round . No need to steer .
That minute you push your bike out of the tunnel under the track and stand there looking up at the banking. It's like "F------, never gonna do that." But once in the groove you just sprint, sprint, sprint! I always managed to stay at the back of the group, it requires 20% less effort and you just get towed along.

I did have a big crash while practicing swapping places in the line. I slowed down too much waiting for someone to undertake me and the bike just fell off the banking and took out someone else on the way down. Flip me that hurt!

Tagging wheels at 30mph or whatever is exciting too...........nearly threw me over the bars. But DW it's all perfectly safe

Old 9 Mar 2023, 12:09 (Ref:4146436)   #444
Alan Morgan
Veteran

On the subject of "Bandit Bikes" (like Louis' Lotus and GT S1), Steve Nichols, a regular visitor to Delta HQ was involved with Hotta bikes.

...love that 12 spoke front wheel.
Old 10 Mar 2023, 18:48 (Ref:4146641)   #445
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Happy birthday to the person who has to put up with all the rubbish we do/say etc. Happy birthday Gill Rowley.
Old 10 Mar 2023, 21:39 (Ref:4146659)   #446
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Happy birthday to the person who has to put up with all the rubbish we do/say etc. Happy birthday Gill Rowley.
Agreed with what you say Peter, however I am the only one that talks sense compared to the others
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Mar 2023, 22:57 (Ref:4146661)   #447
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So if we're going to talk about talking sense, how about this:

I'm at that certain age right now where, for my licence this year - as long as I get the application in soon - I'll need an eye test, but not a medical. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm aware of the fact that MSUK have a deal going with one of the high street opticians for free eye tests for licence holders. Haven't checked the particulars, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

But then it hit me: unless you're applying for your licence before your previous year's one expires, then, technically, when you need the eye test, you're not actually a licence holder are you? It's the old Catch-22 isn't it? Don't qualify for the free eye test because you don't have your licence, and can't get your licence without the eye test!

I'm not 100% certain I've got this right, but it wouldn't surprise me - it would be typical of some of the 'benefits' offered by being a MSUK licence holder, many of which, when you look into it, are not actually of much benefit at all to most of us.

Anyway, as I'll need the eye test, I wandered into a branch of Spec Savers the other day as I had some time to kill, to see if they could do it while I waited. They couldn't, of course (what was I thinking! ), and when I enquired as to the cost, having shown them the MSUK form and explaining I only needed those parameters testing, was informed that it would be 25 quid. I thought that seemed a bit steep, but before I had assimilated the info fully was also told that filling out the form would be an extra 12 quid! 12 quid to tick a couple of boxes and stamp the page. Needless to say, I politely declined and wandered off...

Now, SWMBO said it was probably just me being my usual tightwad self, but £37 for a pretty basic test that takes about five minutes, seems steep to me. The last time I had a race medical, admittedly a few years back, it cost me £50 for the whole thing, medical, eye test, the full monty.

So, later the same day, I was in my local Tesco, which has a Vision Express in store. Upon making enquiries there, I was told the test would be £25, no mention of any extra charge to fill out the form, and a fiver discount for clubcard members, of which I am one - so 20 quid all in.

That's more like it - I can live with that! Booked in for next Wednesday.

Last edited by Paul D; 10 Mar 2023 at 23:12.
Old 13 Mar 2023, 08:08 (Ref:4146874)   #448
midgetman
Veteran

I sincerely hope that you did get your eyes tested while you waited. Would have been a bit awkward to have to leave them and go away while the test was done.

Old 13 Mar 2023, 08:55 (Ref:4146877)   #449
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I sincerely hope that you did get your eyes tested while you waited. Would have been a bit awkward to have to leave them and go away while the test was done.

It would be OK to leave glass eyes!
Old 13 Mar 2023, 12:14 (Ref:4146904)   #450
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Closed Thread