Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Dec 2023, 17:01 (Ref:4190181)   #1626
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Aha time for Tea'... avec mon oncle Maurice!
E.B: 1 Lelouche was not supersticious I guess, having a company named Les Films 13. He had built a nice place near Deauville, Les Manoirs de Tourgéville, which became later a convenient hotel. Downstairs was a giant cinema room, of course. Still exists, but having been bought by a foreign company it losts some charm gaining a lot of comfort.
Old 29 Dec 2023, 17:26 (Ref:4190183)   #1627
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
E.B: 1 Lelouche was not supersticious I guess, having a company named Les Films 13. He had built a nice place near Deauville, Les Manoirs de Tourgéville, which became later a convenient hotel. Downstairs was a giant cinema room, of course. Still exists, but having been bought by a foreign company it losts some charm gaining a lot of comfort.
Gerrymo, was Jean-Louis named after rat droppings?
Old 29 Dec 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4190185)   #1628
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bonjour, Bob. Jean-Louis was Maurice's nephew and you're right again Maurice was nicknamed "Pétoulet" a reference to what was found in his race car fuel tank. Pétoule is a nice word, at least in french, meaning either rat poop or small inconvenient.
PS: glad to see you back in great shape.
Old 30 Dec 2023, 00:10 (Ref:4190202)   #1629
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Mrs Delta got them from bakers . I was in the pub waiting for Viv. Might be best to stick to croissants
Right ok, well Choughs bakery is the one to get Pasty's from in future, if you haven't been put off for good!
Old 30 Dec 2023, 10:51 (Ref:4190232)   #1630
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Right ok, well Choughs bakery is the one to get Pasty's from in future, if you haven't been put off for good!
Ah! But have you tried Bunty Bakers pies?
Old 30 Dec 2023, 18:20 (Ref:4190272)   #1631
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that's it! Work finally done for 2023 - 25,000 miles this year in the Sprinter and every single one imprinted on my ar......ooh err missus!

A wet 2-day test in Dampest Dorset to finish off with, trialling new young drivers. Quite good fun, but the remnants of Storm Gerrit made it an uncomfortable drive home.

Feet up now for the rest of the year! Probably won't stay up welcome in 2024 tomorrow because it'll happen whether I'm there or not. Happy New Year everyone, in (almost) the words of the song "let's hope it's a good one with plenty of beer".

Now, where's that bottle opener...???

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 30 Dec 2023, 18:40 (Ref:4190279)   #1632
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Now, where's that bottle opener...???
Try in the back right pocket of your pants. May be you'll find it, from my knowledge if it hurts your back its not the coil its the bottle opener…
Old 30 Dec 2023, 21:50 (Ref:4190296)   #1633
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It had to happen sooner or later !!
A large cargo ship with a fire in its hold is being kept 2 miles (3.22 kilometers) offshore of an Alaska port as a precaution while efforts are undertaken to extinguish the flames, the U.S. Coast Guard said Saturday.
There were no injuries to the 19 crew members aboard the Genius Star XI, which was carrying a load of lithium-ion batteries across the Pacific Ocean, from Vietnam to San Diego, the guard's Alaska district said in a release.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Dec 2023, 09:52 (Ref:4190326)   #1634
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It had to happen sooner or later !!
A large cargo ship with a fire in its hold is being kept 2 miles (3.22 kilometers) offshore of an Alaska port as a precaution while efforts are undertaken to extinguish the flames, the U.S. Coast Guard said Saturday.
There were no injuries to the 19 crew members aboard the Genius Star XI, which was carrying a load of lithium-ion batteries across the Pacific Ocean, from Vietnam to San Diego, the guard's Alaska district said in a release.
Not just sooner or later .
One got burnt out in the North sea earlier this year , and another in the Atlantic off Portugal .
Thermal runaway in the batteries is almost impossible to extinguish and will usually destroy the whole ship .
There have been many cases in the UK of batteries catching fire and destroying whole car parks with hundreds of cars as well as just lots of single house fires .
But the media does not like to tell the truth about all of this as they are promoting the Net Zero insanity .
Old 31 Dec 2023, 09:53 (Ref:4190327)   #1635
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ooh that's gonna cause problems.

A Big Morning here already. It's been 15 months and a great deal of heartbreak in gestation, and now Mini MM's Midget Nissan actually moves! He's still got loads to do but rolling road next and a winter track day or two. It's destined for the re-branded Track Attack series which is positively encouraging interesting engineering and there is a smaller car division, not fire breathing Imprezzas, Evos.

Old 31 Dec 2023, 09:56 (Ref:4190328)   #1636
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Not just sooner or later .

There have been many cases in the UK of batteries catching fire and destroying whole car parks with hundreds of cars as well as just lots of single house fires .
Links? We all know the Stansted fire (or was it Luton?) but I hadn't seen any others.

As my mates say when I tell them a lurid story "photo or it didn't happen!"

Old 31 Dec 2023, 10:17 (Ref:4190330)   #1637
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Links? We all know the Stansted fire (or was it Luton?) but I hadn't seen any others.

As my mates say when I tell them a lurid story "photo or it didn't happen!"

There has been Southampton , Bristol , Glasgow , Liverpool as well as the Luton one where the media tried to claim it was not a hybrid Discovery and even wiped out number plate recognition to say it was not a battery vehicle after something like 1500 vehicles were destroyed .
Old 31 Dec 2023, 10:52 (Ref:4190331)   #1638
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ooh that's gonna cause problems.

A Big Morning here already. It's been 15 months and a great deal of heartbreak in gestation, and now Mini MM's Midget Nissan actually moves! He's still got loads to do but rolling road next and a winter track day or two. It's destined for the re-branded Track Attack series which is positively encouraging interesting engineering and there is a smaller car division, not fire breathing Imprezzas, Evos.

'BON CHANCE' as we would say. Sounds like an interesting season ahead, so Happy New Year!
Old 31 Dec 2023, 11:17 (Ref:4190334)   #1639
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
There has been Southampton , Bristol , Glasgow , Liverpool as well as the Luton one where the media tried to claim it was not a hybrid Discovery and even wiped out number plate recognition to say it was not a battery vehicle after something like 1500 vehicles were destroyed .
That's the beauty of peddling such baseless conspiracy. You can claim that there is no evidence because 'the media/government' is hiding it.

The reality is that, whilst true a lithium battery fire is much more difficult to control, there has not been a spate of fires caused by EVs.

The Luton car park was caused by a diesel vehicle.
The Fremantle Highway was not caused by an EV, and the ship didn't sink. All vehicles were recovered.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 11:53 (Ref:4190340)   #1640
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That's the beauty of peddling such baseless conspiracy. You can claim that there is no evidence because 'the media/government' is hiding it.

The reality is that, whilst true a lithium battery fire is much more difficult to control, there has not been a spate of fires caused by EVs.

The Fremantle Highway was not caused by an EV, and the ship didn't sink. All vehicles were recovered.

Indeed. It’s up to the person making the claim to provide the evidence, otherwise we have every right to dismiss it as nonsense. Especially when all the evidence is to the contrary
Old 31 Dec 2023, 12:00 (Ref:4190341)   #1641
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:

The Freemantle Highway was not completely destroyed and about 1000 of the 2800 vehicles onboard have been recovered .https://maritime-executive.com/artic...s-to-rotterdam

And the Luton car park fire was caused by a Range Rover / Land Rover diesel hybrid .
Original video footage of the vehicle had the registration no removed , and then it was claimed to be just a DIESEL .The video also showed the fire starting from under the passengers seat , [ where the batteries are ] and was so intense that it could not be diesel fuel burning like that .
But the media very quickly claimed it was just a diesel vehicle and the fire was nothing to do with EVs , after all of the real facts were hidden away .
Old 31 Dec 2023, 12:17 (Ref:4190344)   #1642
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

And the Luton car park fire was caused by a Range Rover / Land Rover diesel hybrid .
Original video footage of the vehicle had the registration no removed , and then it was claimed to be just a DIESEL .The video also showed the fire starting from under the passengers seat , [ where the batteries are ] and was so intense that it could not be diesel fuel burning like that .
But the media very quickly claimed it was just a diesel vehicle and the fire was nothing to do with EVs , after all of the real facts were hidden away .

The vehicle in question carried the registration number E10EFL. This is verified as a 2014 RR Sport Diesel (not hybrid). The emissions for this are verified as 194 g/km, which puts it at the top end of the emissions range for non-hybrid diesel.

But, don't let the truth get in the way of another conspiracy without proof.

I've posted the facts, theorists will claim that the 'real truth' is being hidden.

I'll move on now.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 12:34 (Ref:4190346)   #1643
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ah! But have you tried Bunty Bakers pies?
Oi Baub! Don't be provocative, you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of Mrs Viv. You know full well that it's Burty Baker as she shared the same surname as her Uncle Squib Burton who won the first ever race at Donington Park in 1931 on hisa Raleigh motorcycle.
(Of course, when Donington Park re-opened in 1976 the first race was won by a mate of mine who also has a name connection...)
Happy New Year All
Old 31 Dec 2023, 12:58 (Ref:4190349)   #1644
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What annoys me about this discussion concerning EVs and Hybrids is that too many people seem to almost ignore the past in that before they were even dreamt of, cars, both petrol and diesel, have caught fire. And regardless of what fuel they ran on, the fires were nearly always very intense.

Many years ago, my then partner and I were woken in the middle of the night by a police officer banging on our door, to be informed that her Golf had been severely damaged by heat from a car parked next to hers which had gone up in flames.

I should point out that neither vehicle was an EV or Hybrid; in fact, they didn't yet exist. And it turned out that the owner of the other car was uninsured and she lost her no-claims bonus as the Golf, which was only 3 or 4 years old with minimum mileage, was considered a definite write-off.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 13:02 (Ref:4190352)   #1645
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Happy New Year EB and Dr Bob.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 13:05 (Ref:4190354)   #1646
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
What annoys me about this discussion concerning EVs and Hybrids is that too many people seem to almost ignore the past in that before they were even dreamt of, cars, both petrol and diesel, have caught fire. And regardless of what fuel they ran on, the fires were nearly always very intense.

Many years ago, my then partner and I were woken in the middle of the night by a police officer banging on our door, to be informed that her Golf had been severely damaged by heat from a car parked next to hers which had gone up in flames.

I should point out that neither vehicle was an EV or Hybrid; in fact, they didn't yet exist. And it turned out that the owner of the other car was uninsured and she lost her no-claims bonus as the Golf, which was only 3 or 4 years old with minimum mileage, was considered a definite write-off.
All valid points but as I understand it, an EV battery fire is extremely difficult to extinguish. ICE vehicle fires respond to foam extinguishant.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 13:08 (Ref:4190355)   #1647
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The vehicle in question carried the registration number E10EFL. This is verified as a 2014 RR Sport Diesel (not hybrid). The emissions for this are verified as 194 g/km, which puts it at the top end of the emissions range for non-hybrid diesel.
I see that this particular RR monstrosity was GOLD in colour which means that there was clearly every justification in burning it to cinders..... Sadly it has been retaxed and re-MOT'd until November 2024.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 13:25 (Ref:4190356)   #1648
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
All valid points but as I understand it, an EV battery fire is extremely difficult to extinguish. ICE vehicle fires respond to foam extinguishant.

Peter, I don't dispute that for one moment. It's just that there seems to be people who apparently do not understand that cars have been going up in flames ever since they were created so many decades ago.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 13:29 (Ref:4190357)   #1649
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
'BON CHANCE' as we would say. Sounds like an interesting season ahead, so Happy New Year!
I'll second this if allowed. Best of luck as they say.
Old 31 Dec 2023, 13:39 (Ref:4190359)   #1650
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I see that this particular RR monstrosity was GOLD in colour which means that there was clearly every justification in burning it to cinders..... Sadly it has been retaxed and re-MOT'd until November 2024.
The plate has been transferred to a different car.

The car involved in the fire was a 2014 RR Sport 3L TDV6. The plate is now on a 2016 RR Sport 4.4L SDV8.

Although, I'm not sure the colour is that offensive?

Closed Thread