Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Jan 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3353161)   #26
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Cue Hermann Tilke designed run-off areas in 5 years.....
Old 12 Jan 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3353176)   #27
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vince, wash your mouth out.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3353179)   #28
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Just had a sip of Westmalle Tripel

Not saying I wish that to happen, just that I fear it will happen with FIA influence and all that.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3353183)   #29
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Just had a sip of Westmalle Tripel

Not saying I wish that to happen, just that I fear it will happen with FIA influence and all that.
If we end up with vast Tilke run offs I suspect a lot of us will be sitting at home with Westmalle or similar (Brooklyn No 1 did a pretty good job this afternoon) and sticking with old footage...

A lot can be chipped away at - like flattening the hump, reprofiling the run down from Dunlop, or chicanes on Les Hunaudieres, but ultimately there comes a point when it's not the same track anymore.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3353185)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That's almost as bad as saying its going to ra.........

Blimey, now I nearly said it!
Old 12 Jan 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3353200)   #31
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Vince, wash your mouth out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
If we end up with vast Tilke run offs I suspect a lot of us will be sitting at home with Westmalle or similar (Brooklyn No 1 did a pretty good job this afternoon) and sticking with old footage...

A lot can be chipped away at - like flattening the hump, reprofiling the run down from Dunlop, or chicanes on Les Hunaudieres, but ultimately there comes a point when it's not the same track anymore.
THAT name and in a Le Mans thread should be banned! - Unless it's praising ACO for NOT using him.

However agree 100% with you all, and Tom K, Le Mans is Le Mans, a unique racetrack which should remain close to it's spectators.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3353204)   #32
Breinig
Rookie

Germany
Aachen, Germany
Breinig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we shall stay fair.

No one wants to see fatal accidents.

I personally love the TR - specially during qualifying since I first visited in 2000.

But the ACO has to react to the accident last year.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3353210)   #33
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breinig View Post
I think we shall stay fair.
No one wants to see fatal accidents.
I personally love the TR - specially during qualifying since I first visited in 2000.
But the ACO has to react to the accident last year.
I think we are fair.
And all respect to Allan, his family and the loss they experience. But death is a part of Motorsport, Allan knew this, excepted this, and so did his family, when they told AMR to continue racing.
Freak accidents, which many has agreed Allan's crash was, will always happen.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3353221)   #34
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I think we are fair.
And all respect to Allan, his family and the loss they experience. But death is a part of Motorsport, Allan knew this, excepted this, and so did his family, when they told AMR to continue racing.
Freak accidents, which many has agreed Allan's crash was, will always happen.
As Mario Andretti said of death, "sadly, this too is racing".

I think we'd all love to have Allan Simonsen back with us, just like we'd like to have Sebastian Enjolras, Jo Gartner, and Jean-Louis Lafosse back, but if we strip away all of the risk, which we could do pretty readily, I don't think we're left with something we want to be part of.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 22:54 (Ref:3353241)   #35
Breinig
Rookie

Germany
Aachen, Germany
Breinig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In fact I want to see the drivers pushing the cars to the limit, too, want to be as close as possible and for sure there is a risk involved, mainly for the drivers, but also for the spectators.

There were quite a few severe accidents in the recent years, keep in mind Davidson went airborne in the Toyota or McNish's crash. (Maybe one of the reasons he retired)

People had good luck.

To attract the best drivers and manufacturers the ACO has to do all reasonable efforts to reduce risks, whilst maintaining the Le Mans spirit.

Not for the cars - for the drivers, our heroes. And to ensure that manufacturers invest in that event. See Mercedes.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 07:32 (Ref:3353305)   #36
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breinig View Post
In fact I want to see the drivers pushing the cars to the limit, too, want to be as close as possible and for sure there is a risk involved, mainly for the drivers, but also for the spectators.

There were quite a few severe accidents in the recent years, keep in mind Davidson went airborne in the Toyota or McNish's crash. (Maybe one of the reasons he retired)

People had good luck.

To attract the best drivers and manufacturers the ACO has to do all reasonable efforts to reduce risks, whilst maintaining the Le Mans spirit.

Not for the cars - for the drivers, our heroes. And to ensure that manufacturers invest in that event. See Mercedes.
I understand what your saying, and I think we are close to agreeing with each other.
But if we go by the accidents you selected, there really isn't much you can do to the track to give the drivers better chances.
- Davidson in the Toyota was a high speed crash because of a slower and poorly driven GTE AM, the run off area Davidson had was massive and asphalted, Graved would surely made the car flip and roll.
- McNishes was the result of an too brave overtaking maneuver together with poor visibility in the R18. (And I do not think this had anything to do with McNish retiring, he's "old", it was his time, like Tom K, will retire soon)
- The Mercedes flips was because of poor aerodynamics. Again, not much track safety you can do to prevent these.

But until I hear several drivers complain about the lack of safety at Le Mans, I won't support track chances that lessen the Spectator experience.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 08:52 (Ref:3353319)   #37
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Make Le Mans safer? Yes, absolutely, but by no means take away what its meaning is.
Agreed.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3353323)   #38
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, as I was thinking over the 2013 fatality, this is my opinion on the fatality...

#1 most shocking fatality ever than Edwards' fatality.

Shocked the whole world.

Drivers should have gotten out of the car and rescued the driver.

But one of all the drivers never did like that happened in F1.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3353326)   #39
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNo1F1Fan View Post
Drivers should have gotten out of the car and rescued the driver.
You what now?

This isn't the 60's anymore.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3353329)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The intervention and medical vehicles were on the scene very quickly. Drivers stopping and getting out would probably have caused even more problems.

But this thread isn't (directly) about Allan's dreadful accident. So let's move on.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3353967)   #41
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
You what now?

This isn't the 60's anymore.
The last one that was known happened in 1998 in Japan. The only thing is..."drivers never rescued" and "they never did" was a mistake, now deal with it.

Last edited by TheNo1F1Fan; 14 Jan 2014 at 19:18.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3353970)   #42
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The intervention and medical vehicles were on the scene very quickly. Drivers stopping and getting out would probably have caused even more problems.

But this thread isn't (directly) about Allan's dreadful accident. So let's move on.
Don't you forgot something? The "drivers never rescued him" and "they never did" was a mistake, it should be "no one has withdrawn from the race due to that the fatality resulted in an enormous shock" and "the race was never red flagged", but no offense. Post edit below.

"#1 most shocking fatality ever than Edwards' fatality"
"Shocked the whole world"
"Race wasn't red flagged"
"No one withdrew"
Old 14 Jan 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3353995)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Fine. I understand where you're coming from (both figuratively and literally). I disagree with you. I'm entitled to do that.

Now, as I said - let's move on.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3354014)   #44
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Is there any work been done at the moment? Are there any images of this to be found somewhere?
Old 15 Jan 2014, 14:40 (Ref:3354272)   #45
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Is there any work been done at the moment? Are there any images of this to be found somewhere?
You'd think there would be news of things. It's less than 6 months to the test day...

I can't see TR being modified in time for the race unless work has began already. I think there's going to be a tonne of red tape involved in doing anything to that section of the circuit.

Extending the run off at the start of the Porker curves is no small job either.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3354298)   #46
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
You'd think there would be news of things. It's less than 6 months to the test day...

I can't see TR being modified in time for the race unless work has began already. I think there's going to be a tonne of red tape involved in doing anything to that section of the circuit.

I might agree with you, but I'm not sure which date the construction will start IMO.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3354329)   #47
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

The race is actually only 5 months away and the test day closer to 4
Old 15 Jan 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3354333)   #48
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowing the French mentality, I think they don't worry. If the job is finished the day before testday, it's ok for them
Old 15 Jan 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3354343)   #49
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
Knowing the French mentality, I think they don't worry. If the job is finished the day before testday, it's ok for them
Agreed.
Old 15 Jan 2014, 20:57 (Ref:3354416)   #50
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
And honestly, what is wrong with that, as long as it's done .

Not that I have any knowledge or experience with setting concrete/asphalt. But isn't there something about it not setting correctly when it's freezing?