Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27 Aug 2021, 07:50 (Ref:4070608)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Liberty Media and the ACO

Just came across this video from Will Buxton, can't wait to find the time to watch the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XxUag_RSEI

Although Buxton wasn't there in his official F1 capacity, this is yet another example of the F1 world 'discovering' Le Mans, and it's happening because of Liberty Media's entirely more friendly attitude to the big race.

Why is this worth commenting on? Well, for a start, in my opinion I think F1 is currently in the midst of a new golden era. Friends who have never expressed an interest in motorsport are all of sudden watching entire Grand Prix and are desperate to tell me about it, the cars are spectacular, and there's a fascinating title battle.

However, under Bernie and Co, the attitude to Le Mans - or anything else - was entirely hostile. Feels very different now, with the FIA working to avoid clashes, Chase Carey waving the flag at the start, the official F1 twitter account tweeting about the start of the race, and even having an F1 car lap La Sarthe...it seems like finally, we have custodians of the pinnacle of motorsport who sees the benefit of the entire pie being bigger, rather than aiming to just have the entire pie to themselves.

This is very significant, because we're about to have a golden era of sorts too. I know BOP and Hypercar has turned some fans away, but I can guarantee you, with the influx of manufacturers, we will have more eyeballs on Le Mans than at any point since the 1980s, if not all time.

For the first time in my lifetime, I'm not concerned that there will be a plot from F1 to destroy it as soon as it gets momentum.