Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8 Jun 2022, 08:41 (Ref:4113496)   #15
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Vaillant View Post

Le Mans is popular (230 000 persons on the week, on of the main events in the world). But the rest of the season is a little unpopular. Apart Spa and some IMSA races, grandstands are often empty. But, the heads of factory programmes and marketing departments are attentive about the popularity and media exposure of the event.
Last week, the CEO of VW Herbert Diess said in brief "only F1weighs in Motorsport ". I fear if nearby next years, WEC doesn't take off, lot of branding departments will do the same reasoning in the futur...
This is the big issue for me; and it might not be a popular view, but a sport needs more than one event that draws attention from a wider audience.

Look at the many motorsport forums around Le Mans, pages of comments, look at the crowds in the grandstands....it's impressive.

However, where are they all for Spa, Monza, et al?? Where do they go, and where do they come from?

And I'm still not sure that even Le Mans brings in the mainstream coverage it once did. We'd see hourly reports on 5 Live, newspaper previews/reports, even on main TV news bulletins.

I really do think the ACO need to be far more savvy regards to promotion of the WEC as a whole - but I've been saying that for a while, and I'm not sure it's a lot better. Saying that, it could be worse - it could be the WRC which lives in it's own little bubble.

For the general media, and sports editors, when it comes to motorsport, then it's all about F1 - and I don't know how you change that.

The LMH/ LMdH era looks promising, with all these manufacturers/ top drivers taking part. If that can't bring in more exposure, then nothing will.