Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Jun 2020, 18:39 (Ref:3981025)   #26
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well after a nice garden chat plans for September are made, if it happens we will be there
Old 9 Jun 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3981029)   #27
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’m planning to go in September fingers crossed but funnily enough I’ve been watching last years race in the evenings recently, I’m about 3 hours into the race so this weekend I’m gonna watch the rest of it and have a night on the sofa Saturday night as if I’m actually there, my living room sofa is not quite the bank at Indianapolis but at least I probably won’t be cold and regretting not bringing another sleeping bag from the car... which is probably parked in the furthest car park away
Old 9 Jun 2020, 20:28 (Ref:3981043)   #28
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was lucky in a way that my run ended early, went from 1998 to 2005 and then had to skip 2006 for some infernal football competition. Since then i've missed 3, due to some infernal other motorsport series, so i've now done 20.69% of all Le Mans (thanks google), and met Ayse on probably 50% of those visits.

I'm far from convinced this years race will happen and if i, we, will be able to attend. If we do i think it will be quite cool, i don't suppose we will ever have another September race in a long time, so it will be interesting to see how different it is at another time of the year.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 21:31 (Ref:3981049)   #29
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My run isn't as long as some, first went in 2010, I've been 10 years in a row.

I decided immediately after doing the LM-N24 double header last year that I would give 2020 a miss, and go again in 2021 for the new cars.

Due to that early decision, I'm absolutely fine if LM happens behind closed doors, though of course I hope the people who want to go can do so safely.

However, I really hope it isn't cancelled outright. it's been a decade since I've been able to watch it properly on TV!
Old 10 Jun 2020, 06:59 (Ref:3981077)   #30
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well good news, i woke up this morning with out a fuzzy head, patched dry throat and then having to do a cooked breakfast for our group, but still unhappy that i am in Kent rather than on the campsite.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 07:12 (Ref:3981079)   #31
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1982, 1985, 1996-2019 plus 2 LM Classics. In fortunate position of #retirementlife so re-booked for September already (if it happens / open to spectators).

Changed phone wallpaper to arty shot of iconic blue / yellow kerbing. Unlikely to be found watching the online substitute.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3981096)   #32
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The last time I was at the race was 2009 and I will get back there one day there is plan underway.

However since my last visit I followed events from home with pictures from Eurosport and commentary by RLM.

Over the last few years race has been finishing work early on the Wednesday afternoon to come home and watch the first practice session and printing out the Andy Blackmore's spotters guide so while watching the race I cross out the retirements. Sitting with kids on Saturday morning watching the warm-up and sitting up to some silly o'clock on Saturday night watching the race (and getting up silly time on Sunday morning to watch the rest).

It just feels odd that is not going be happening this weekend, hopefully the race will happen in September and those things will then, if the race goes ahead and I think that is 50/50 at present.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 12:18 (Ref:3981124)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr View Post
I'm far from convinced this years race will happen and if i, we, will be able to attend. If we do i think it will be quite cool, i don't suppose we will ever have another September race in a long time, so it will be interesting to see how different it is at another time of the year.
That will add to the regret of not being there this year for me. It will be a shame to miss out on something a bit different.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3981127)   #34
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As miserable/selfish as it might be, if September doesn't happen for us, I hope it doesn't happen at all, so that my run (14, coming 15) won't be broken.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 13:24 (Ref:3981139)   #35
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
As miserable/selfish as it might be, if September doesn't happen for us, I hope it doesn't happen at all, so that my run (14, coming 15) won't be broken.
I feel the same!
Old 10 Jun 2020, 13:48 (Ref:3981146)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Moi aussi....
Old 10 Jun 2020, 13:52 (Ref:3981148)   #37
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
In total agreement there, but hoping i will be there.
Old 10 Jun 2020, 17:20 (Ref:3981182)   #38
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
No broken run for me - if it happens and I am allowed to go, I will be there....

I have been every year since 1996, but I definitely went in 1983, 1988 and at least two or three other times in the group C era, but cant now remember exactly when they were
Old 10 Jun 2020, 17:31 (Ref:3981185)   #39
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
No broken run for me - if it happens and I am allowed to go, I will be there....

I have been every year since 1996, but I definitely went in 1983, 1988 and at least two or three other times in the group C era, but cant now remember exactly when they were
You must have been enjoying yourself on those years, several of mine have hazy memories due to over indulgence
Old 10 Jun 2020, 19:45 (Ref:3981204)   #40
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I cannot believe that!
Old 11 Jun 2020, 07:12 (Ref:3981250)   #41
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
You must have been enjoying yourself on those years, several of mine have hazy memories due to over indulgence
I always enjoy myself ... however it has toned a down a bit over the years... but from the '80's ... sadly I cant remember all that much!
Old 11 Jun 2020, 07:45 (Ref:3981257)   #42
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I would say that like you i have toned down my tendency to over indulge in recent years, although a few years ago due to circumstances beyond my control (Helen arriving very late in evening) my age and capacity to continue drinking for 10 hours had the obvious result. However i have been more careful ever since.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 08:29 (Ref:3981269)   #43
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My run was broken by pesky GCSE and A-Level exams in 2010-11 and then the start of the my teaching career 2017-18.

In each of those years, I religiously watched every minute of every session. My year still ran from June to June and I could imagine being there - the HD pictures are so good these days, it really can bring the magic to your living room.

So the feeling of being at home this weekend isn't too unusual, but not having anything to look forward to most definitely is.
Old 11 Jun 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3981375)   #44
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After my first LM in 2005, wich I really enjoyed, I skipped 2006 because I thought it couldn't het any better. I was not comfitable sitting at home, couldn't watch on tv because it hurt not beiing there, despite the hughe amount if non sun.
Since 2007 I never missed one, let's hope it stays that way, this one is postponed, so not broken yet, hell I'll even watch a little virtual.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 06:16 (Ref:3981460)   #45
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have wondered whether I should contribute to this optimistic thread, your enthusiasm does you credit, it is that element from the true fans that gives Le Mans most of its special atmosphere.

This would have been my 40th Le Mans, I have worked at every race since '84, so it feels very strange being home in the UK during mid-June.

That being said, this was the poorest entry since '92; LM P1 should be a Toyota walkover, though a podium for Rebellion would be a fine way to salute their time in the sport.

GTE PRO lost Ford and BMW............

LM P2 - a spec ORECA formula and suffering from the same issue as GTE AM of professional silver drivers instead of gentlemen, that causes all manner of problems, both on and off the track.

I do miss seeing old friends and colleagues, folks that I have spent my motorsport career with, time with them during the weeks is always something to look forward to.

September? Not sure how it can happen if the predicted second wave of the virus is on the way. Believe me you do not want to take a chance with this infection, it is deadly.

Also with the unique nature of Le Mans' private/public road course how can there be any meaningful social distancing and how could that be enforced?

So far Corvette and Porsche North America have withdrawn, who will follow?

I suspect the ACO are under enormous financial pressure to run something as they will have budgeted for revenues as normal, including the Classic. The huge sums that the VW Group used to pour into the region are gone forever; this, I suspect, will soon be the case with all the other manufacturers.

While I am not quite in the vulnerable class, I am close, and after observing the lock down strictly for the past months I am disinclined to take a chance. I have a room booked and paid for but.............
Old 12 Jun 2020, 07:02 (Ref:3981467)   #46
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Most Le mans addicts are going to be optimistic that it will happen as we have all looked forward to the race since 1 minute after the race finished last year. Fingers and just about everything else is crossed that sometime in September we will be in France.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 08:34 (Ref:3981476)   #47
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think our optismism is all we've got during these times of lockdown.

It shows the level of goodwill towards the race that people will (in a normal year) show up whatever the quality of the grid is.

And as this is the broken run thread, the point made about being 'disinclined' is the most important one, we all need to be making the choice on our attendance based on the health and well-being of ourselves and families rather than just turning up out of tradition.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 09:23 (Ref:3981485)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
As someone who was there in '92 and who enjoyed it despite the poor field and the relentless non-sun, the weak entry list doesn't put me off one bit. As I've said ad nauseam before (and as John hints), it's not just about a race, it's about an event, an experience, the whole of which I massively enjoy. Meeting old friends and enjoying their company, staying in the same place, the thrill of actually getting to the circuit for the first time - it's all so much more than just a race. Something which those who have never experienced it will probably not understand.
Old 12 Jun 2020, 09:38 (Ref:3981492)   #49
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
As someone who was there in '92 and who enjoyed it despite the poor field and the relentless non-sun, the weak entry list doesn't put me off one bit. As I've said ad nauseam before (and as John hints), it's not just about a race, it's about an event, an experience, the whole of which I massively enjoy. Meeting old friends and enjoying their company, staying in the same place, the thrill of actually getting to the circuit for the first time - it's all so much more than just a race. Something which those who have never experienced it will probably not understand.
I would endorse this sentiment, I would suggest it is even more so with Sebring and to a lesser extent Spa 24. The people and experiences matter more than the racing.

One other issue with Le Mans is that the event has become bloated and far too drawn out, we end up spending way too much time and money there.....the Drivers' Parade is a perfect example. What started out in '95 as a revival of a tradition dating back to the first years of the race has become a real pain............you can spend three hours waiting to start going round, not the best preparation for crews attempting a 24-hour race the next day.......the time could be cut but then a revenue opportunity might be lost.........
Old 12 Jun 2020, 09:42 (Ref:3981493)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, I confess I've not bothered with the parade for several years now. Too much hassle. I was thinking of doing it this year as my son and his girlfriend haven't done it and I guess you need to experience it, at least once. But getting to it and out again isn't always easy - and yes, it is a long drawn out affair. I'd rather be sitting in a nice restaurant having a good meal with my pals....

Funnily enough, the one thing I do mourn is the parade along the start finish straight of all the drivers on the back of open cars shortly before the race. That I used to love. But long gone now...