Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 23 May 2023, 13:37 (Ref:4157563)   #1126
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes cards are accepted everywhere but cash is not always accepted
Prices are not that bad but if you are there for more that the race weekend then stock up at the supermarket and save yourself a tidy sum
Old 23 May 2023, 13:40 (Ref:4157565)   #1127
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We normally take in snacks and soft drinks (in cans). Saves a lot of money in the long run if you’re there all week.
Old 23 May 2023, 14:51 (Ref:4157578)   #1128
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
We normally take in snacks and soft drinks (in cans). Saves a lot of money in the long run if you’re there all week.
What sort of snacks and cans may I ask? We usually bring our own food to race meetings, so we've got something there and can still buy something from the food stall if we want
Old 23 May 2023, 15:40 (Ref:4157592)   #1129
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We are lucky as campsite overlooks the race track, so easy to pop back eat in the campsite and one minute later we are watching the cars again
Old 23 May 2023, 15:51 (Ref:4157593)   #1130
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
On your way to the track you'll find supermarkets, the 3 Lidl being the cheapest, followed by two Intermarché's Super. More choice but slightly more expensive are Carrefour and Auchan. I dont recommend Carrefour-City or Carrefour-Market which is a different matter, less choice and much more expensive. In France, there is a difference between "supermarket" and "hypermarket", the last one is supposed to offer a wider choice.

Typing Auchan Le Mans or Carrefour Le Mans for instance will make appear an interactive map. There's often a gas station too, generally offering fair prices on diesel.

Last edited by Gerard C; 23 May 2023 at 16:02.
Old 23 May 2023, 15:54 (Ref:4157594)   #1131
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If cash is widely accepted, mind you that the 200 and 500 Euros notes are not always appreciated… Amex not always accepted too (do they prefer Gringo Express?).

Last edited by Gerard C; 23 May 2023 at 16:04.
Old 23 May 2023, 16:01 (Ref:4157596)   #1132
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Carburants: real headache because the words "harmonisation européenne" are yet to be translated in french…
Diesel cars/vans: B7:Gazole/ B10: nouveau gazole/ XTL: gazole de synthèse.
Essence: E10:SP95 E10/ E5:Sans plomb 95 ou 98/ E85 Bioéthanol.

Classic cars go for SP 95/98. Dont expect to find exoctic fuels like 99, 100 or more octane.

Adblue: avalaible inside the supermarkets or from traditional gas stations.
Old 23 May 2023, 16:09 (Ref:4157598)   #1133
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If you're lookin for rillettes, read carefully the label and look for a 100% pure pork product otherwise you'll have bits of rabbit, poultry, fish and Bob knows what else!
Old 23 May 2023, 16:12 (Ref:4157599)   #1134
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If you're lookin for rillettes, read carefully the label and look for a 100% pure pork product otherwise you'll have bits of rabbit, poultry, fish and Bob knows what else!
Try the duck or goose rillettes, they are very good
Old 23 May 2023, 16:21 (Ref:4157600)   #1135
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sure, I'll go for goose ones (same for foie gras would prefer goose liver to duck foie gras) it is all a matter of taste. The first thing I carefully chose is the baguette! Strange enough, it gets more and more difficult to find a tasty one! OK, moustaches and beret are easy to source… But what would be a frog with moustache and beret and no baguette, I wonder!
Almosy missed the concertina!!
Old 23 May 2023, 16:22 (Ref:4157601)   #1136
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What sort of snacks and cans may I ask? We usually bring our own food to race meetings, so we've got something there and can still buy something from the food stall if we want
All sorts, crisps, sweets, biscuits etc. We stay pretty close to a huge Auchan and can easily pick up supplies. At the circuit the diet is normally sandwich fromage et jambon and, of course, the magnificent sandwich américain merguez!

Quote:

I'm definitely not.....
Old 23 May 2023, 17:47 (Ref:4157612)   #1137
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Andrew for someone that loves le mans how can you not like rillettes the food most closely related to the area, but love rotten meat strongly flavoured with stuff to disgisse the fact that they are not fit for human consumption, i know they are cheap but that is because they are sponsored bt loo roll manufacturer
Old 23 May 2023, 17:50 (Ref:4157614)   #1138
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm definitely not.....

I wonder who is the duck-head having invented the name "sandwich americain"? Serious! A french baguette, french fries and a sausage made of spices, spices, spices and some meat coming from… well an animal I suppose. Be warned some contain pork, others veal and others… other things!
Its part of the pleasure to share a good moment and we all know that pleasure matters. As they say in Essex (see that, Max?) "peu importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse" (the bottle does not matter as much as the drunkness). Avec modération, of course.
Old 23 May 2023, 17:51 (Ref:4157615)   #1139
JimboCycling
Rookie

JimboCycling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you all for the helpful replies, much appreciated.

One more first timer question if I may. How do the spectator viewing areas work? With general entry tickets. I'm guessing within the 'general entry' area it's similar to a conventional circuit in the UK? But what about outside that eg from camping at Beausejour can I walk to watch from the infield at Mulsanne, Arnage, Indianapolis? (I appreciate the distances are quite big!)

And in general where's the best places to watch, without grandstand tickets?

Thanks
Old 23 May 2023, 17:52 (Ref:4157616)   #1140
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Andrew for someone that loves le mans how can you not like rillettes the food most closely related to the area, but love rotten meat strongly flavoured with stuff to disgisse the fact that they are not fit for human consumption, i know they are cheap but that is because they are sponsored bt loo roll manufacturer
Good one!
Old 23 May 2023, 17:54 (Ref:4157617)   #1141
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Andrew, GT6, Pascal a genuine question for you #1139. Nothing can be said "conventional" at Le Mans…
Old 23 May 2023, 17:59 (Ref:4157619)   #1142
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well as a first timer i would suggest that you try to get to the area opposite the pits for the start it will be packed but that noise at the start is amazing, it will thin out quite quickly afterwards, from there suggest you head up towars the dunlop bridge towards tertre rouge there are some great places to watch from there. From Beausjour it is easy to walk to the viewing area's on the porsche curves but suggest if you want to go to mulsanne and arnarge(a rael must in the dark) then use the buses.
if you make it to the meet on saturday people will happily give you thier ideal viewing spot and tips.
Old 23 May 2023, 18:02 (Ref:4157620)   #1143
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
GT6, is there (are there) still mega screen in the Indianapolis area the curve before Arnage? Jimboe, I think it will be easier for you to download a map of the track first, then you'll see what people are talking about like Dunlop chicane, Mulsanne corner or Porsche curves.

Can this one help? https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/info/circuit-map

This one is more related to the camping locations https://lemansrace.com/circuit-map/

Just a thought, you'll have to understand that "Mulsanne Straight" is said "Hunaudières" in French or la ligne droite des Hunaudières.

Last edited by Gerard C; 23 May 2023 at 18:09.
Old 23 May 2023, 18:13 (Ref:4157623)   #1144
JimboCycling
Rookie

JimboCycling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you. I am familiar with the layout, just trying to get a grip on whereabouts you can actually go as a spectator.
What's the deal with the busses - are these regular shuttles for the full 24 hours? Are they free? Big queues?
Old 23 May 2023, 18:19 (Ref:4157624)   #1145
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
In french what you're lookin for, shuttles, is said navettes. https://www.24h-lemans.com/fr/faq/acces-circuit Then go to "existe-t-il des navettes………" Below the boring text, there's a map with explainations.
Old 23 May 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4157625)   #1146
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboCycling View Post
Thank you. I am familiar with the layout, just trying to get a grip on whereabouts you can actually go as a spectator.
What's the deal with the busses - are these regular shuttles for the full 24 hours? Are they free? Big queues?
The busses are free.

From BSJ you can catch a bus to Karting Sud, then from there you can go to Nord. If you turn left from the entrance to BSJ you walk under the bridge where you can catch busses to Arnage and Mulsanne. They stop running around 3pm on the Sunday. I'll be back in BSJ by 1pm to watch the finish from inside the Porsche Curves. And to fire up the BBQ and open the champagne.
Old 23 May 2023, 18:25 (Ref:4157627)   #1147
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

I wonder who is the duck-head having invented the name "sandwich americain"? Serious! A french baguette, french fries and a sausage made of spices, spices, spices and some meat coming from… well an animal I suppose. Be warned some contain pork, others veal and others… other things!
Its part of the pleasure to share a good moment and we all know that pleasure matters. As they say in Essex (see that, Max?) "peu importe le flacon pourvu qu'on ait l'ivresse" (the bottle does not matter as much as the drunkness). Avec modération, of course.
My first Le Mans was in 1986 and I was told in no uncertain terms that I had to have a merguez. It was clearly obligatory. I loved it - with plenty of mustard. And I've had at least one virtually every year since. You guys can keep your rillette. At least my merguez doesn't look as though someone has eaten it already......
Old 23 May 2023, 18:30 (Ref:4157628)   #1148
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
i will stick to rillettes those horses willies you eat are not for me
Old 23 May 2023, 19:18 (Ref:4157634)   #1149
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboCycling View Post
....just trying to get a grip on whereabouts you can actually go as a spectator....
I think the answer is 'everywhere'. You can even get into the stands (except for the 'ACO' stand) during the practice/qualifying sessions.

That includes the Arnage and Mulsanne enclosures (although they need separate parking tickets I believe).

The shuttle system is actually usable these days.
Old 23 May 2023, 19:26 (Ref:4157635)   #1150
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And for the first lap, pits straight and Dunlop chicane apart, what place would you recommend? The exit of Mulsanne corner or the entry of Indianapolis curves may be?
Closed Thread