Old 12 Jul 2002, 15:49 (Ref:332748)   #1
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf likes new Hockenheim...

Complete story [http://f1.racing-live.com]
"There are definitely two places to overtake. For one: the second corner after the start-finish line; the other is the new hair-pin."

Ralf..., are you going to use them ?!?
Old 12 Jul 2002, 16:33 (Ref:332783)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blame it if to make a good (?) racetrack you have to destroy another great one along with its trees. Why didn't they change the Hungaroring into this instead of the Hockenheimring????
Old 12 Jul 2002, 16:36 (Ref:332785)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alesi reckons it's good too. I think I read this on www.autosport.com
Old 12 Jul 2002, 18:15 (Ref:332853)   #4
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he should say a good place to be overtaken. All jokes aside I hope his enthuiasm is a good sign.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 18:34 (Ref:332864)   #5
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No kidding but Ralf WILL overtake... Yoong. See Ralf thinks its better not to attempt overtaking and save the engine.

Last edited by freud; 12 Jul 2002 at 18:37.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 19:45 (Ref:332910)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyway guys... remember last year.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 20:07 (Ref:332922)   #7
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, this may be a somewhat naive view, but in general, aren't 'places to pass' generally heavy straight-line braking zones? And didn't the old configuration have at least 2 more of these? I think the losing the old layout is kind of a shame...
Old 12 Jul 2002, 22:04 (Ref:332970)   #8
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK,straight from the heart...please, don't be angry with me...these are pure emotions!

It's partly the drivers' fault that the trees were killed and the cool track changed. Formula One is not a kindergarten and we don't need Mickey-Mouse tracks. F1 should be about speed and records,and not the lausy technique that you can achieve in hairpins and chicanes. The old Ring was so simple, some people even called it bizzare, but it had the spirit. The new Ring is nothing.

Drivers get too much money and they think about their safety and chances to finish more than about real racing. That's dumb. I bet that Fangio, Ascari, Clark, G. Villeneuve and all the legends are turning around in their graves. And poor Ernst Christ dedicated his life to that track and now they turned it into

Ralf said this:
"You now don't have to drive into the woods on senseless unending straights anymore"

And, no offense to his fans, that's very selfish, egocentric and hateful opinion.What a shame. F1 drivers were much more emotional and traditional back in the days. Now they only care about their own backiside and it's a shame. Not to mention that the car is more important and the driver.

C'mon, we all know that all this has been done for the brothers and for those 6000 seats. We lost the best racing and a sight for a human eye, but we got another commercial

R.I.P. You were the greatest.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 22:33 (Ref:332979)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a different track, now it's just another of the tracks with a long straight, a hairpin, and a few more corners.

We were seeing the F1 cars at 362 km/h... no longer now...
Old 13 Jul 2002, 00:29 (Ref:333013)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I concur with everything Miss Hardt has to say. Just goes to show F1 is now all business and little to no sport.
Old 13 Jul 2002, 11:46 (Ref:333200)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf:
"You now don't have to drive into the woods on senseless unending straights anymore"

I have to agree with Ralf on this one. I never thought much of the old Hockenheim circuit, and from what I can see of the new one I think they have gone in the right direction.

On the other hand, I can understand and appreciate Miss Hardt's feelings on the subject, because if they were to change a circuit like Spa say, then I would be quite sad.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 13 Jul 2002, 12:21 (Ref:333213)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just looking at an illustration of the new track in this months F1 Racing mag, the new hairpin is very much like the Adalaide hairpin at France or turn 2 at Austria, the hairpin at Canada, i.e... long straights leading onto tight bends, all places that invite overtaking at the above mentioned tracks! Maybe the new circuit won't be all doom and gloom, i remember when Austria first returned to the calander in 1997 and people were saying what a bad circuit it was in comparison to the old circuit, and we haven't seen a trully awful race there yet!

One other thing, why is the a place at the new hockenheim circuit called Parabolika don't these circuit designers have any imagination?
Old 13 Jul 2002, 12:24 (Ref:333214)   #13
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Just looking at an illustration of the new track in this months F1 Racing mag, the new hairpin is very much like the Adalaide hairpin at France or turn 2 at Austria, the hairpin at Canada, i.e... long straights leading onto tight bends, all places that invite overtaking at the above mentioned tracks! Maybe the new circuit won't be all doom and gloom, i remember when Austria first returned to the calander in 1997 and people were saying what a bad circuit it was in comparison to the old circuit, and we haven't seen a trully awful race there yet!

One other thing, why is the a place at the new hockenheim circuit called Parabolika don't these circuit designers have any imagination?
No, because everything was designed by one single m...n

The track is a Frankenstein, just like the one in France.
Old 13 Jul 2002, 12:27 (Ref:333215)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll give the new track a chance, but the fact the old one was my favourite makes it hard to take. Ralf might say its good, but he is hardly going to slam his home track, is he now?
Old 13 Jul 2002, 12:36 (Ref:333217)   #15
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
He knows how to ....*gosh, I don't know the English word at the moment:*...but he knows how to tell things just to please people.

It was my favorite too (obvious when you see my signature, avatar, username and everything else)
Old 13 Jul 2002, 14:45 (Ref:333252)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
**** it. **** everything, **** all the Mickey-mouse tracks.

It's like going to the ****ing Louvre museum and drawing a new face on the Mona Lisa!
Old 13 Jul 2002, 21:04 (Ref:333375)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like techincal tracks as opposed to just speed. The old track reminded me of an oval with chicaines thrown in for fun. After the race we will know somewhat if it is an improvement but it will take about two to three years to see the real result of the change where racing is concerned. Remember how little was thought of the US track. Last year the USGP was one of the best races all year. Once the teams get the setup right for the cars the racing will get better. Now it looks like a typical Ferrari victory to me.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 03:39 (Ref:333483)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cute...why can't Ralf just voice his opinion without being pounced upon. We have credited Eddie or JPM for speaking their mind...even if its brutally blunt, but why don't you guys just give Ralf a break here?

I reserve my judgement on the "entertainment value" of the new circuit. Though i miss the old track due to the dismise of very very high speeds and overtaking opportunities, we have not seen what the new track have to offer yet. Look at Nurburgring...many complained its a stupid idea to have the new infield, too slow, mickey mouse...but it does provide some entertaining stuffs to watch doesnt it?

however, i hope the introduction of the series of corners leading to the complex does not take away too much of the fast right hander. Nice memories last year where Rubinho took the Mclaren from the outside there...twice~
Old 14 Jul 2002, 04:06 (Ref:333490)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will give the new track a chance also , and i also understand drivers for wanting to be safe .

But i have to agree with Miss Hardt's post from the heart earlier . Very good post that says all what i would would like to say also.

One memory i have from Hockenheim was back in 1992. We went there to watch Mansell do his stuff , and we were at the first chicane in the woods . As the morning warm up started , it was still a little misty and was very quiet , but a nice warm summers morning . The all of a sudden you heard the V12 Ferrari of ALESI get louder and louder as he came along the first flat out section towards us . He then came into view , went through the downchanges , into the chicane and past us into the next flat out section towards the 2nd chicane Then the scream of his engine faded as he got further away agian

WOW !!!........that was something really special that i will never forget i my whole life . ..A FERRARI V12 ,and THE HOCKENHEIM RING .
Old 14 Jul 2002, 08:54 (Ref:333548)   #20
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
You were there????

I am jealous!
Old 14 Jul 2002, 11:30 (Ref:333615)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The wanton destruction of trees will continue as long as man sees an opportunity to make money.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 14 Jul 2002, 11:57 (Ref:333622)   #22
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Hardt
You were there????

I am jealous!
yes , it was a great circuit , and a shame they have done what they have done . But as Valve says about money makers . All the time people can make money out of something , peoples enjoyment will come 2nd everytime .
Old 14 Jul 2002, 12:40 (Ref:333630)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san

peoples enjoyment will come 2nd everytime .
With a shorter track, won't the fans in the stadium complex and new grandstands see the cars more now (i.e...due to more laps/more laps) thus increasing their enjoyment?
Old 14 Jul 2002, 12:41 (Ref:333631)   #24
Aussiefan

Does anyone know what will happen to the old section of the track?

Old 14 Jul 2002, 12:48 (Ref:333635)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Aussiefan
Does anyone know what will happen to the old section of the track?
I may be wrong, but i think that they are burying it after this years race.