Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Jul 2007, 06:45 (Ref:1952006)   #1
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS Rnd 6: Lime Rock 5-7 Jul 2007

The only new car joining the field so far is the Van der Steur Radical-AER, so it's mostly status quo here.

Entry List:
http://www.americanlemans.com/Events...ime%20Rock.pdf

Schedule:
http://www.americanlemans.com/Events...20Schedule.pdf

CBS will be airing this on tape delay at 1pm EST on Sunday, July 8th, the day after the race.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:06 (Ref:1952624)   #2
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice race to attend, although I will not be able since I am on the right side of the pond. Just the drive up there from NYC or NJ makes it worthwhile. And then the track,
I have been trying to convince some mates out in New Jersey to make the trip there. Hopefully, they will go.

Also, on the Audi entries: "Truth in Engineering". Pardon the ignorance, but is that a slogan from Audi?
Old 2 Jul 2007, 18:09 (Ref:1952630)   #3
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Audi's new slogan.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 21:50 (Ref:1952875)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
This will be an interesting race. I wonder about the Spyder pace, it seems almost like it could be a Spyder track but only if they are ahead from start or via pit strategy.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1952906)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not a super intelligent decision (on CBS's part, or ALMS to let them) to air it opposite the British G.P. at Silverstone!!

L.P.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 00:57 (Ref:1952966)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Not a super intelligent decision (on CBS's part, or ALMS to let them) to air it opposite the British G.P. at Silverstone!!

L.P.
Do you really think that the F1 TV schedule was available when CBS and ALMS set theirs?
Old 3 Jul 2007, 01:00 (Ref:1952968)   #7
bpjaxx
Rookie

United States
New Jersey
bpjaxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get any of CBS's decisions (they have big problems) but should be good to see the torquey R10's vs. the P2's on another small track... Audi's should shine especially through the high-speed downhill but P2's will out-break into big bend and other twisties. With the small number of P1 entries I look forward to unique tracks to level the prototype field.

Definitely one of the better venues to visit. Compared to Sebring, etc., it seems like you have the place to yourself. Also more real fans and ... I would hope ALMS execs see they nailed their proclaimed market with this place... I'd hate to see it fail due to ticket sales.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 02:06 (Ref:1952982)   #8
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG

L.P.
Craaaaaaaaaap. I forgot that the British GP will be starting at the exact same time on FOX...

I seem to remember a couple years ago that CBS aired the Monaco GP on tape delay at the same time as ABC was airing the Indianapolis 500 live...
Old 3 Jul 2007, 02:34 (Ref:1952990)   #9
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not to mention that P2 will have to run with with +5% restrictor (and 10% ethanol?), this race will tell a bit more about the ACO rules than the races so far his season. In a tight bullring like Lime Rock, I think the race could be even tighter.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1953515)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjaxx
I don't get any of CBS's decisions (they have big problems) but should be good to see the torquey R10's vs. the P2's on another small track... Audi's should shine especially through the high-speed downhill but P2's will out-break into big bend and other twisties. With the small number of P1 entries I look forward to unique tracks to level the prototype field.

Definitely one of the better venues to visit. Compared to Sebring, etc., it seems like you have the place to yourself. Also more real fans and ... I would hope ALMS execs see they nailed their proclaimed market with this place... I'd hate to see it fail due to ticket sales.
Welcome to the forum!
Old 3 Jul 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1953551)   #11
Lusitano
Racer

Portugal
Barcelona
Lusitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watch ALMS or F1?.... Hummmm tough decision.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 18:05 (Ref:1953593)   #12
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree that Lime Rock is a "twisty" track in any sense, or a track that favors "lighter" cars. Nor do I think it will tell us much about the 5% restrictor diameter change.

Quote:
Let’s put to rest the fiction that short track = slow track. Not in this case. Qualifying lap average speed at Lime Rock Park? Nearly 122 mph. Miller Motorsports Park, the longest on the schedule? 117 mph and a paltry 114.5 for the best of the R10s. Mid-Ohio is significantly more “technical,” (twisty, if you like). Hayanari Shimoda’s record in 2005, when weather was good, was just short of 114 mph. The rest of the top prototypes were in the 111-112 range. Lime Rock is just about an oval – there’s only one left hander – and it’s been called a “momentum” track (once you get your momentum up, you fly).
http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...d=151&Itemid=1
Old 3 Jul 2007, 18:55 (Ref:1953627)   #13
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It will favor the lighter cars because of the turns, and relatively short straights. The Audis will not have huge amounts of room to stretch their legs, while the lighter-weight LMP2s will have plenty of turns, and quick ones at that, to take advantage of. Also, the R10 has never raced at Lime Rock, so Audi will have a bit more set-up work to do than usual.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 01:20 (Ref:1953839)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Are the R10's 2006 or 2007 spec?
Old 4 Jul 2007, 06:23 (Ref:1953897)   #15
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume 2007.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 06:39 (Ref:1953903)   #16
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Today italian SportAutoMoto confirms a Maserati MC12 by Doran, from Road america. The car was tested at Elkhart Lake by Theys e Lienhard.

Any further infos about this project, ALMS 2007 rules for this no-ACO car, kind of tyre , ecc.??

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 4 Jul 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1953972)   #17
billkirbywofb
Rookie

billkirbywofb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sunday will be the worse day for racing this year. With not only the Lime Rock race and the British GP starting at the same time - you can also add, per the banner above, the Toronto Champ Car race. All starting at 1:00 eastern time on Sunday.

Time to pull my hair out. Only have one VCR. I would wish for better cooperation from the networks. (But then I believe in the Easter Bunny also)
Old 4 Jul 2007, 16:04 (Ref:1954329)   #18
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The many turns at twisty Lime Rock:

Map: http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/CT/images/lrp.gif

Aerial Photo: http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...85&Y=11607&W=2
Old 4 Jul 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1954499)   #19
bpjaxx
Rookie

United States
New Jersey
bpjaxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK
I disagree that Lime Rock is a "twisty" track in any sense, or a track that favors "lighter" cars. Nor do I think it will tell us much about the 5% restrictor diameter change.

http://lastturnclub.com/index.php?op...d=151&Itemid=1
I think that metaphor might have been taken out of context but first turns are interesting nonetheless... turn 1 being a double-apex into another that must be taken with an abnormally late turn-in. I also believe the downhill turn is one fastest on the ALMS calendar... so I agree that momentum is key. The bends also seem more significant in person, probably because the track is small.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 20:26 (Ref:1954537)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Diving Turn is fast, but there are a number of faster corners on circuits that ALMS uses (The Kink and Turn 13 at Road America, Turn 1 at Sebring, and Turn 2 at Mosport just to name a few).

There may only be seven turns, but you end up turning noticeably for a significant percentage of the lap, which plays into the hands of lighter-weight cars. Also, in comparing Lime Rock and Miller, Miller has 23 turns for 4.5 miles and Lime Rock has 7 turns for ~1.5 miles; so the ratios of turns per unit length are not that far apart between the two.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1954559)   #21
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano
Watch ALMS or F1?.... Hummmm tough decision.
HAHAHAHA!

Also: full version of Audi slogan- "truth in engineering (but we lie about how good our car is so they don't slow us down)"
Old 4 Jul 2007, 22:06 (Ref:1954624)   #22
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I can't find the results from the testing that the ALMS did at Lime Rock yesterday. Was there even a test yesterday, or was it a misprint. Normally, the ALMS's site would have stuff up by now if it happened(?).
Old 4 Jul 2007, 23:43 (Ref:1954721)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
HAHAHAHA!

Also: full version of Audi slogan- "truth in engineering (but we lie about how good our car is so they don't slow us down)"
And we lie about tyre changes too !!!
Old 5 Jul 2007, 00:49 (Ref:1954756)   #24
TWK
Veteran

The ratio of turns to length may be similar at Miller and Lime Rock, but the tracks could not be more different. One is slow and MM, and the other is fast and flowing. Miller 114 mph / LR 122 mph.

Bottom line is that an old, crippled, restricted, weighted R8 leads the most laps and easily beats your "light, nimble" Porsche Spyder in 2006, with the R8 needing to make two on-track passes and having a pit entry (official's mistake) problem that cost the R8.
Old 5 Jul 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1954879)   #25
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK

Bottom line is that an old, crippled, restricted, weighted R8 leads the most laps and easily beats your "light, nimble" Porsche Spyder in 2006, with the R8 needing to make two on-track passes and having a pit entry (official's mistake) problem that cost the R8.
That may be true but last years drive by Mr McNish was inspired and none of the other R8 drivers were in the same league at that race