Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jul 2002, 07:32 (Ref:345036)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
James Allen

Great quote by our 'beloved' James Allen during qualifying for the German GP on Saturday:

"despite the announcement of Mikka's retirement from F1, there are still a lot of Finnish flags being waved" or something close to that.

He seems to have forgotten Mikka Salo and Kimi...Do we have another Murray in the making?
Old 29 Jul 2002, 07:45 (Ref:345045)   #2
con-rod
Rookie

con-rod should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure he was coming out with some rubbish during the race as well. Like when they showed a replay of Raikkonen limping back to the pits with no rear-left tyre, he considered that it might have happened again. Needless to say Martin Brundle assured him it hadn't!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 07:50 (Ref:345050)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
He really has become a coplete a*se hasn't he.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 08:25 (Ref:345079)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
to think they picked him over ben edwards.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 10:45 (Ref:345163)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yes, Ben would have been a much better choice and one that many of us were hoping for!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 10:53 (Ref:345176)   #6
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Blundell and Martin Brundell would make a great Team. They`re Silverstone Track guide had me in stiches.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:10 (Ref:345192)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of Mark Blundell as a commentator either. Martin Brundle is good and gives unbiased and informed comment.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:30 (Ref:345203)   #8
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen should be back in the pits, i hate him but he knows about pitstops - say what u want about him but the man knows about pitstops... He shouldnt be calling the shots for the whole race though - he says the oddest things. He makes almost as many mistakes as muzza but you cant love him like u loved Muzz. I actually dont hate him as much because he has shown he is a complete gimp and not such a perfect goody two shoes that he used to be. I think we should have that ozzie dude that does TOCA. Cant remember his name but he was a good commentator.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:55 (Ref:345230)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Charlie Cox?
Old 29 Jul 2002, 11:59 (Ref:345238)   #10
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Charlie Cox?
YEAH! - With John Watson! :-D

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:00 (Ref:345240)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i nearly myself when allen shouted "GOOOO" at the start yesterday. the only time i thought he was funny was a few races back when he started giving raikkonen advice on getting married too early..
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:06 (Ref:345255)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I have to agree with you on the shout at the beginning of each race. It's getting on my nerves.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:06 (Ref:345257)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
James Allen is a complete idiot. He's trying to be like Murray, but at the same time have his own style - like bellowing "GO!!!!!!" at the start of the race yesterday. And he doesn't appear to know all that much about F1 - at the French GP he said that TGF had "never had a penalty in an F1 race".

Mark Blundell would be far worse - an hour and a half of James Allen is bad enough, I certainly wouldn't want to listen to an hour and a half of Mark Blundell with his Montoya and DC worship.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:08 (Ref:345260)   #14
mirage
Rookie

mirage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's been a knob from the early days,and just loves the sound of his own voice,Lee Diffey would be a better choice or as already said my old mate Ben..
Old 29 Jul 2002, 12:12 (Ref:345271)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ben has the same outlook as Martin Brundle as both are ex/racers. I think that counts for a great deal when you are a commentator.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 16:52 (Ref:345527)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
When Ben Edwards and John Watson used to commentate on Eurosport I thought it was far more informed and interesting than any of the terrestial commentators with the exception of Martin Brundle.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 17:24 (Ref:345557)   #17
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of Mark Blundell as a commentator either. Martin Brundle is good and gives unbiased and informed comment.
#

Agree totally Stephen, Mark B is dreadful and your comment about James Allen being an ar*se is very true.
Personally I think Charlie Cox would have been brilliant with Brundle however at present their commentator crew (except Brundle who tells it how it is) are a rubbish.
Rosental is a disgrace.

Guy
Old 29 Jul 2002, 18:09 (Ref:345588)   #18
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My old friend James (Hunt that was) must be turning in his grave, Lord bless him.

Should have been Ben doing the job.

Meantime, just name dropping, I had that mad Irishman for the other lot commentating from right behind me while I blue flagged on post 8 Vancouver yesterday.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 18:41 (Ref:345608)   #19
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's one thing, I'll have to make sure my dad isn't asleep at the start of a race in future. He nearly went through the ceiling when James Allen shouted "GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".
Also, how long will it be before ITV get people putting in claims for new TVs when the idiot's shouting the start blows out the sound on their TV
Old 29 Jul 2002, 18:44 (Ref:345610)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Like I've said before, Allen is so bad that I actually watch the races on Speed now. Yup I prefer Americans mispronouncing driver names to James Allen... Get it together ITV!
Old 29 Jul 2002, 18:54 (Ref:345617)   #21
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Let's not be too hard on James Allen. Murray Walker was a legendary commentator in the UK and James Allen is trying his best to fill Murray's shoes. Pity he cant seem to get a style of his own. I can see that he took his 'GO!!!!' from the "Its Go, Go, Go" of Murra Walker. But he will develop something original soon.

To be honest, James Allen is slightly better than Murray Walker. At least he doesnt call Michael Schumacher as Ralf or vice versa.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 19:35 (Ref:345652)   #22
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leave James Allen alone!

Whoever ITV got to replace Murray Walker, people would complain about.

I feel he does a great job.
Old 29 Jul 2002, 23:20 (Ref:345836)   #23
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard2
#

Personally I think Charlie Cox would have been brilliant with Brundle however at present their commentator crew (except Brundle who tells it how it is) are a rubbish.

Allow me to give an example of Brundle 'telling it how it is'

---Alex Yoong doesn't appear to have the pace at the moment to be a frontline Grand Prix driver but he could still blow the doors off of just about any other formula in the world, such is the level of Formula 1 racing---

I doubt Alex Yoong could win in the IRL with a Penske at this stage
Old 29 Jul 2002, 23:36 (Ref:345852)   #24
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think he could
Old 30 Jul 2002, 00:14 (Ref:345872)   #25
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld

Allow me to give an example of Brundle 'telling it how it is'

---Alex Yoong doesn't appear to have the pace at the moment to be a frontline Grand Prix driver but he could still blow the doors off of just about any other formula in the world, such is the level of Formula 1 racing---

I doubt Alex Yoong could win in the IRL with a Penske at this stage

Or in CART with a car prepared by Team Kool/Green,or as they are soon to be known, Team Andretti/Green!

Unfortunately, living where I do, I've never heard Ben Edwards in action. Could someone provide a link to a sample of his commentary?