Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Nov 2002, 19:11 (Ref:426559)   #1
Acheme
Rookie

Acheme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tricky brain teaser...

Here's a tricky question for you that even I don't know the answer to....

Which F1 driver won the World Championship when, just the season previously, they failed to score a single point?

I should stress that they did actually compete in that season - they weren't just on sabbatical (Alain Prost in '92 style).

I tell you what, it's got me well stumped. It wasn't Keke Rosberg was it?
Old 11 Nov 2002, 20:02 (Ref:426591)   #2
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Keke Rosberg. He drove for the hopeless Fittipaldi team in 1981 and scored no points. He transferred to Williams in 1982 and won the championship.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 11:16 (Ref:426940)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
JGM....your answer was a thread killer if ever i say one
Old 12 Nov 2002, 12:32 (Ref:426989)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
51 minutes - outstanding
Old 12 Nov 2002, 12:38 (Ref:426994)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I knew that one, just not quick enough on the draw. Oh well.

Here's another question tho: Which race represented fthe first win ever for the driver, chassis maker, engine maker and tyre supplier?

Not Rosberg.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 12:54 (Ref:427009)   #6
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richie Ginther - Honda-Honda - Goodyear
Mexico 1965

Ginther never won again, the Honda team won only 1 more. Goodyear however didn't look back.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 13:00 (Ref:427015)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
and an interesting fact about Rosbergs championship is if im correct he didnt even win a race that season (1982) first and last times thats ever happened I believe
Old 12 Nov 2002, 13:08 (Ref:427023)   #8
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, but you're wrong. He did win one race, the Swiss GP. But then no one won more than two taces that season.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 13:49 (Ref:427045)   #9
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
it's strange this legend about Keke champ-with-no-win in 1982. There's actually a bunch of people which thinks that happened. I wonder why.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 14:33 (Ref:427079)   #10
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Swiss GP will go down as a classic. If only because it was held on the wonderful Dijon circuit, long straights, huge sweeping bends, dips, climbs, everything. It remains the same today and I'd recommend anyone pay a visit for a round of French F3 or Supertourisme. Terrific atmosphere.

Rosberg and the FW08, set up to keep in touch with the leaders on full tanks and then come really good as the load lightened (another skill taken from the drivers), had been closing in on Prost's ailing Renault and, when it eventually stuttered out the back, he was through.

These were the closing laps and the Finns in the crowd went beserk - 'The Flying Finn Is Going To Win', they read.

The flagman, French, of course, and as eager as most present for a home win, had realised Rosberg might be about to pass Prost so had actually started getting the flag ready a lap earlier! Until the Williams team smothered him, that is and pulled him back over the pitwall! With Rosberg past, Prost's Renault seemed, briefly, to gain an extra lease of life and the flagman this time was reluctant to show the flag in case Prost might be able to catch back up!

In the end, I think it ran to 81 laps - one more than originally scheduled!
Old 12 Nov 2002, 16:59 (Ref:427135)   #11
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And of course, Rosberg only just lost at the Osterreichring, Elio de Angelis (Lotus) beat him by 0.22 of a second.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 21:13 (Ref:427307)   #12
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another classic. Two weeks before. On one of the all-time great circuits. And another case of the normally-aspirted brigade winning on a circuit where the turbos should - indeed, did - have ruled until typically all breaking down.

This was the race where, at last, we saw the Brabham team finally execute one of their long-awaited and "pioneering" fuel pit stops. Patrese got in and back out in the lead but then the engine seized and, rear wheels locked, he spun off, smacking hard backwards into the bank just in front of spectators and just missing one errant girl who had decided to watch from in front of the fence! Piquet then fell by the way side and so, too, in the closing stages did Prost, his Renault's turbo packing in just a few laps short of the finish.

Tambay in the Ferrari could have been up there but he'd lost almost a lap in the early stages pitting to replace a punctured tyre.

It all left de Angelis to hold off the fast-closing Rosberg - again in a Williams set up to come good near the end. I bite my nails now thinking of that last lap. No matter how many times you watch it, you still think Rosberg will find a way past. But no. De Angelis, like Rosberg yet to win a Grand Prix at this stage of his career, fought tooth and nail. He blocked, ducked and dived, second guessed Rosberg's next move pretty much everywhere. But it was clean and fair.

Rosberg's last chance was to get a run on de Angelis out of the final corner, then a long, never-ending right hand downhill sweeper, onto the pit straight. Remember, in those days, you could sit close behind your opponent through the corners - on circuits like these, it was not rare for cars to run WITHOUT front wings! Alas, he pulled out of the tow
just a tad too late and had only drawn alongside de Angelis as they crossed the line. Keke, puffing on a fag later, acknowledged he should have gone earlier than he did but not to worry.

De Angelis's victory, of course, conjured up for the final time the image of Lotus boss Colin Chapman, just as he had for Clark, Fittipaldi and Andretti, standing on the finish line, throwing his cap in the air in celebration at seeing one of his cars win. Later that year, he passed away.

Last edited by Jonny Apex; 12 Nov 2002 at 21:14.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 12:05 (Ref:427700)   #13
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
ok thanks for correcting me , I was under the impression that he didnt win a race that year , oh well , still winning one race in a season and then the championship has to be some kind of record doesnt it ???
Old 13 Nov 2002, 18:00 (Ref:427958)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Mike Hawthorn only won one race in his championship-winning year, 1958, too.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 19:27 (Ref:428017)   #15
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. And Stirling Moss won 4 races that year!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 20:29 (Ref:428054)   #16
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has it ever happened that a driver has won a championship - in any series - without winning one single race in their championship winning year?

When was the last time the F1 WDC was won by a driver who had not won the most number of races that season? (You may have to go back further than you might think!)
Old 13 Nov 2002, 20:44 (Ref:428060)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher 1994?
Old 13 Nov 2002, 20:55 (Ref:428066)   #18
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope. So you have to go further back than you thought.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 20:56 (Ref:428067)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1986. Prost.

scrub that

1987. Piquet.

Nope I've got a more recent one. It is Prost and it's 1989. I'm sure all the 90s ones were won by the bloke who won the most races.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Nov 2002 at 21:01.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:00 (Ref:428074)   #20
R
Veteran

That's too far back! Prost was the driver, but the correct answer is the 1989 season. Prost won 4 races, while Senna won 6.

Btw, I don't know the answer to my first question above - I posted that out of mere curiosity!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:01 (Ref:428075)   #21
R
Veteran

Ah, simultaneous editing/posting!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:05 (Ref:428079)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry R, I decided to edit my post rather than post another. My mind immediately went to Prost when I read the question! The 1986 season was great. I reckon the best driver won despite not winnign as many races.

I'd also thought of 1988, but Senna won more races (and the crown), but, of course, Prost had more points!

The first question, it's tricky. A scoring system like NASCAR may produce such a result. However they have so many races in the year that the champion was bound to win one of them! (?)
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:15 (Ref:428086)   #23
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it BRM that in the 70's failed to get a championship point one year and decided that if they couldn't win a race the next year, they'd leave F1?? Didn't they only go and win the WCC that hear!!

When is the last time thats happened?? No points this year and champs the next year!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:15 (Ref:428087)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can have many inconsistent winners who win one or two races but then mostly blow up engines or crash out so the most consistent guy with the most second/third and such places could win the WDC...

And the only time that BRM clinched the WCC was in 1962 and the last victory they achieved was in 1972 Monaco GP with JP Beltoise

Last edited by ASCII Man; 13 Nov 2002 at 21:21.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 21:32 (Ref:428094)   #25
R
Veteran

No probs, Adam! I usually do that myself, edit rather than post twice in a row. Don't know why I didn't this time...

Quote:
Originally posted by av8rirl
When is the last time thats happened?? No points this year and champs the next year!
The opposite happened (well, not quite, but almost) when Jacques Villeneuve won the 1997 WDC and then didn't score a single point in 1999.