Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:18 (Ref:1124089)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Opel to withdraw from DTM

Opel will withdraw from the DTM at the end of next year, according to autosport.com. This is bad, if not entirely unexpected, news. The DTM has to find another manufacturer: I don't think Audi and Mercedes will fight each other. Maybe BMW might be tempted in? After all the M3 GTR isn't far off a DTM car already.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1124098)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The timing of the announcement - well in advance - gives time to find an alternative manufacturer.

Aussie V8s do alright with two marques though
Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1124137)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Trying to think who a new manufacturer might be. BMW, Alfa and SEAT are all committed to the WTCC, Ford have expressed an interest in the WTCC but are pretty cash-strapped anyway. Volvo don't have a V8.

There was a rumour a couple of years back that Porsche might join the DTM. But that thought leads me on to another one. If this 'German GT series' which has been obliquely discussed comes together, might the DTM disappear? Mercedes has demonstrated the ability to switch series before, and Audi could always go off and busy itself with its new prototype.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 11:07 (Ref:1124156)   #4
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that's the end of the DTM.

This is what a manufacturer based F1 series would be like, if your not winning on Sunday you wont be selling on Monday.

The bean counters don't like that.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1124165)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
volvo does have a V8
new this year a 4.4 litre DOHC V8 mill to debut in the XC90 V8...
however Opel is pulling out but GM is running the new WTCC touring car effort to increase Chevrolet branding in Europe- perhaps the Opel will lose out to have Chevrolet enter in?
but it would be good to see BMW tear it up with Merc and Audi- too bad Porsche car styles don't fit rear engine flat 6 and all- unless they race a Cayenne ()
but hope springs as a V8 passat can come race yes or no?
audi wouldn't like the sibling rivalry
Old 14 Oct 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1124202)   #6
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think BMW would enter the DTM while competing in the WTCC.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1124219)   #7
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Re: Opel to withdraw from DTM

Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Opel will withdraw from the DTM at the end of next year, according to autosport.com. This is bad, if not entirely unexpected, news.
Unexpected? Last week some newspapers reported that GM planned to fire 10000 employees. It could be expected that GM would evaluate their motorsport program (comparable to Ford). The results of Opel in DTM were rather bad as well. Firing people and continuing to spend money on motorsport can not combined; see Jaguar.

Now GM announces that 12000 people will loose their job by 2006 (most of them in 2005). 500 people (of the 6000 employees) at Saab get fired, the rest will happen in the German Opel factories.

It's a logical decision: making big losses and very bad results in DTM.
Quote:
The DTM has to find another manufacturer: I don't think Audi and Mercedes will fight each other. Maybe BMW might be tempted in? After all the M3 GTR isn't far off a DTM car already.
I tought another manufacturer already had plans to enter DTM in 2006. Toyota or Alfa?.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1124224)   #8
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
I don't understand the discussion about the V8 engines. Only Mercedes is using a own (specially designed) engine; Opel uses a Oldsmobile V8 and Audi a Mugen V8

A DTM car is just tube frame with carbon fibre bodywork which looks like 4-door sedan. So all brands selling 4-door sedans can enter (Toyota Avensis, Alfa 156, BMW 3, ...)

Last edited by gwyllion; 14 Oct 2004 at 12:06.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1124279)   #9
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Autosport.nl reports that Mercedes is also considering pulling out of DTM In contrary to Audi and Opel, Mercedes is not relying on external sponsorship, making things even more expensive then their opponents.

So if no new manufacturer arrives, this will mean the end of DTM :confused:
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1124307)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Errr, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I said Opel's withdrawal wasn't unexpected.

Audi use a Mugen V8? This is news to me.

I'd forgotten about Toyota. A Lexus IS could work well, but Toyota seem fixated on F1 at the moment.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1124320)   #11
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gwyllion
Autosport.nl reports that Mercedes is also considering pulling out of DTM :
this seems as likely as ferrari pulling out of f1
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:30 (Ref:1124323)   #12
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Errr, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I said Opel's withdrawal wasn't unexpected.
Damn, double negation My mistake.
Quote:

Audi use a Mugen V8? This is news to me.
Read an old thread started by FIRE: Which engine is used in the Abt-Audi TT-R?
Quote:

I'd forgotten about Toyota. A Lexus IS could work well, but Toyota seem fixated on F1 at the moment.
Mercedes is in F1 and DTM as well.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1124329)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Take my hat off to you, hadn't realised the Abt TT-Rs were powered by Neil Brown-fettled Mugens. Are these still used in the A4, then? And why doesn't Audi use its own V8s, maybe prepared by Cosworth Technology, which VAG owns?

As for Merc running in F1 and the DTM, that's perfectly true, but different companies have different approaches. For a start, Toyota is running an in-house F1 team, while Mercedes isn't (well, not quite). Also, Toyota still has a great deal to prove in F1, unlike Merc, so is more likely to want no distraction. That, after all, is why they canned the Le Mans and WRC programmes.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1124336)   #14
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not suprising, has/always been rumoured...

I do hope the DTM finds another manufacture, Alfa, Toyota/Lexus would be good choice's but with so many of the manufactures racing nowadays and championships such as F1, WRC being very expensive I cannot really see a manufacture replacing Opel. But then there is 12 months and as in motorsport alot can happen in that period of time!
Old 14 Oct 2004, 15:33 (Ref:1124377)   #15
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Autosport.nl reports that Mercedes is also considering pulling out of DTM
This article was removed from their website?! Maybe it was just some fantasy of the author (he only quoted a guy from Mercedes Netherlands, and not statement from Mercedes Germany).

Last edited by gwyllion; 14 Oct 2004 at 15:34.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1124380)   #16
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
couldn't merc and audi have fixed it so opel could have won at hockenheim in the last round this year, at least it might have kept their board interested in the dtm.

but seriously, i hope the new dtm doesn't go the same way as the old one, we need a few race series for powerful cars in europe.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1124391)   #17
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Take my hat off to you, hadn't realised the Abt TT-Rs were powered by Neil Brown-fettled Mugens. Are these still used in the A4, then?
Yes, but Audi engineers managed to squize a bit more power out of it.
Quote:
And why doesn't Audi use its own V8s, maybe prepared by Cosworth Technology, which VAG owns?
Good question. They have a 4.2 V8 (and for the new RS4 they are developing a high reving version). I guess when Abt started in DTM, they chose this engine because of convenience and cost reasons (developing a race version of the Audi V8 with a reduced displacement would be more expensive than just using an existing engine). And Abt was competitive with it (winning DTM in 2002), althought they were (and still are) a bit underpowered (resulting in lower top speed).

I guess when Audi toke over this year, they realised that developing an own engine would be very expensive and not be much more powerfull. They developed the A4 for corner speed and not that much for straight line speed.

Last edited by gwyllion; 14 Oct 2004 at 15:52.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1124442)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So all brands selling 4-door sedans can enter (Toyota Avensis, Alfa 156, BMW 3, ...)
There were rumours about Toyota and also about Alfa Romeo, see these articles from German magazine Auto Motor und Sport:

Quote:
25 November 2003 - Alfa kommt zurück - Schumi schiebt mit
Mit dem Nachfolgemodell des aktuellen Alfa 156 wollen die Italiener mit Hilfe von Ferrari und Unterstützung von Michael Schumacher und Willi Weber ab 2005 wieder in der größten deutschen Tourenwagen-Rennserie mitmischen.
Für die Technik - Motor und Chassis - wird Ferrari verantwortlich zeichnen. Eine der Triebfedern hinter dem Projekt ist Michael Schumacher. Geplant ist der Einsatz von zunächst vier Fahrzeugen mit dem Nachfolgemodell des Alfa Romeo 156, der in zwei Jahren auf den Markt kommt. Alfa ist in der DTM ein alter Bekannter. Von 1993 bis 1996 traten die roten Renner mit einem allradgetriebenen Alfa 155 an. 1993 eroberte Nicola Larini für Alfa den Meistertitel.

Nach diversen Werbungsversuchen der DTM-Dachorganisation ITR in der Vergangenheit kommt die Initiative diesmal aus Italien. Alfa-Markenchef Daniele Bandiera prüft derzeit diverse Technik- und Budgetkonzepte. Er wird von Alfa Romeo-Deutschland-Chef Marc Pasture und Marketingleiter Dino Damiano unterstützt. Als Fahrer sind Gabriele Tarquini, Nicola Larini und Timo Scheider im Gespräch. Opel-Fahrer Scheider könnte bereits 2004 bei Alfa in der Tourenwagen-Europameisterschaft oder mit einem Ferrari in der GT-Meisterschaft fahren. Michael Schumacher protegiert Sebastian Stahl, den Sohn der Freundin seines Vaters. Schumacher-Manager Willi Weber will ein eigenes Team einsetzen.
Source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/49130

And this:

Quote:
23 January 2004 - DTM: Ferrari-Motorenchef wechselt zu Alfa
Der Motorenchef des Ferrari-Formel 1-Teams Pino d' Agostino wechselt von der Scuderia zu Alfa Romeo. Dort soll der Italiener die Entwicklung eines Vierliter-V8-Motors für das Alfa DTM-Comeback 2005 leiten.
Seit 1997 war der Mann mit der Schiebermütze hinter Paolo Martinelli stellvertretender Chef von Ferraris Motorenabteilung. D' Agostino arbeitete seit 1979 für Fiat und war geistiger Vater der Alfa-Rennmotoren, die zwischen 1985 und 1996 gebaut wurden. Bei den DTM-Alfa 155 V6, die zwischen 1993 und 1996 sehr erfolgreich in der DTM starteten, galt der V6-Motor als Pluspunkt im Paket.

Ab 2005 will Alfa mit dem Nachfolgemodell des 156 in der DTM antreten. Geplant ist der Einsatz von vier Autos. Michael Schumacher ist eine der Triebfedern hinter dem Projekt.
Source: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/51782
Old 14 Oct 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1124449)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 'new' DTM should always have been for more standard cars, similar to the ETCC/WTCC specs, but fitted with unrestricted 2.5l/3l V6's.

The DTM lost touch with its routes when it moved away from the old Group A formula to Class 1, IMO.

Last edited by JAG; 14 Oct 2004 at 16:52.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 17:04 (Ref:1124459)   #20
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unrestricted v6's are far too expensive, sadly

Last edited by flor; 14 Oct 2004 at 17:05.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1124483)   #21
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yep, unrestricted won't work. sooner or later the costs will go crazy.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1124495)   #22
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Despite I like DTM very much maybe it's better DTM collapses, and as a result Mercedes, Audi and Opel will move to WTCC.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1124510)   #23
flor
Veteran

VAG has already Seat in it, GM has Chevy and Merc would probably prefer a GT over a S2000 car
Old 14 Oct 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1124515)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by flor
VAG has already Seat in it, GM has Chevy and Merc would probably prefer a GT over a S2000 car
Probably you are right about Opel and Audi, but Citroen and Peugeot are also competing against each other in WRC. And I think there's little chance we see Mercedes.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 17:59 (Ref:1124518)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
This article was removed from their website?! Maybe it was just some fantasy of the author (he only quoted a guy from Mercedes Netherlands, and not statement from Mercedes Germany).
Or maybe it was a demonstration of what corporate muscle can do...