Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:19 (Ref:634113)   #1
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grid celebrities

Who on earth made the decision to let Ozzy Osbourne anywhere near something like an F1 grid.
Every time we see Martin Brundle interviewing all these celebrities on the grid who have no clue whatsoever about F1 or who anyone is who have been given a free ticket even though they could afford one 1000 times over, when real race fans can't get anywhere near. Does it wind anybody else up ?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:25 (Ref:634122)   #2
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, very much so.

Seeing people like Ozzy, Rio Ferdinand or worse, Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones on the grid just shows you what is wrong with F1.

What's even worse is that ITV then interview them.....
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:32 (Ref:634135)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'd pretty much agree, normally when Martin asks them if they've been to a grand prix before they say "No, it's my first one" and they have no idea what's actually going on - a total waste of time and space.

A notable exception to this rule was Jay Kay, he was on the grid in Imola and he's well known for being mad about his cars. He was picking up his spanking new Ferrari Enzo from the factory and was going to drive it home after the grand prix. Good work fella.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:27 (Ref:634271)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I couldn't understand a word Ozzy was saying. I picked up something about his dogs excrement though.......moron.

It was nice to see Bono at Monaco actually. Yes it was his first time, but he was taking his kids I believe.

Apart from that, everyone should just **** off. They know jacksh*t about F1 and simply turn up for the free Caviar.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:33 (Ref:634285)   #5
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
turn up for the free Caviar.
it think its more than that, its too keep their names about, although what the hell legends like Ozzy need to do that for i'll never know.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 13:47 (Ref:634305)   #6
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should be banned for the simple reason that they are not part of the team or pit crew. They are a nuisance and potentially are in the way. There is even a possibility they are a danger to themselves and those around them as they are not in an environment which they are familiar with.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 14:35 (Ref:634362)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Wouldn't it be better to cut all the time spent messing about on the grid, podium etc., to the absolute minimum & run a few more races?

As for the 'celebrities', my normal reaction is 'who the 's that?'.

.....or am I confusing the F1 business with motor sport?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 14:51 (Ref:634380)   #8
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must admit that it annoys me to see all these "celebrities" posing around on the grid. I would give so much to actually be in their position - standing on the grid before a race looking at what's going on. Yet they are there, they've never ever been to a race in their lives, they can't tell a pitstop from a pitbull and they wouldn't know what a car was if it parked on their foot!

As you can tell, I'm not particularly impressed. Why can't Martin interview more drivers and team members? Actually I do know the answer to that but there we go.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 15:38 (Ref:634439)   #9
Nomad
Rookie

Nomad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, I think that the celebrities can bring a bit of humor to the proceedings, just by the juxtaposition of their public lives and their appearances.

Example 1: Hockenheim 2001. One of Sauber's associate sponsors (I think it was InMotion) brought Shaquille O'Neal to the German Grand Prix. In the post-mortem of the race, I saw a photo (which I've saved at work) of Shaq — whose presence was unusual not because he was an American sports star on the F1 grid, but that he was a sports star that was 7-foot-2. Let's be honest, if there's one thing that most upper-level motorsports isn't blessed with, it's height. Just ask Justin Wilson, and Shaq's got a foot on him.

Example 2: Same race — Shaq brought MC Hammer with him. Insert joke here. Another humorous photo was Hammer "rapping" with Bernie. WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE!!!

Example 3: Ozzy's grid-walk at Montreal. I showed that to several co-workers. The mere sight of Ozzy with his arm around a bemused Jean Todt? Abstract comedy at its peak. I litterally rolled on the floor.

I guess I'm lucky that we don't have the pleasure of Martin's gridwalk in America. Then again, we don't have a driver in the series, either …
Old 17 Jun 2003, 15:39 (Ref:634443)   #10
Nomad
Rookie

Nomad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darn it, I forgot to post my point about Shaq. The photo in question had O'Neal, with his patented million-dollar smile, holding Nick Heidfeld well over his head.

Funny.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 16:01 (Ref:634468)   #11
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nomad I was actually at that race in Germany. I had a paddoc club pass so I have seen Shaq holding up Nick, that was awsome. I am still laughing just thinking about it :-)).
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:52 (Ref:634788)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was an interesting contrast to seeing him walk down the streets of our local market handing out $20 and $50 bills to homeless people and buskers... that was only a few days before.

Being on the starting grid before the race is more a matter of trying to stay out of everyone's way than interesting. Just the idea is cool, but when you get there, you're just trying not to get in the way. I'm thinking of the cart starting grid though.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:08 (Ref:634821)   #13
noweels
Racer

noweels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Mr Brundle`s grid walkerbout is the best bit of the whole weekend....They should have 1 hour of that,then I can fall asleep
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:18 (Ref:634833)   #14
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I usually enjoy Martin's grid walk, but this time I felt that the amount of time he spent waiting to grab a word with Ozzy Osbourne and then listening to him mumble some incoherent answer could have been spent interviewing a driver or team member, i.e. someone relevant to the race.

I have no problem with the celebrities on the grid, but they should be seen and not heard.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:24 (Ref:634837)   #15
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any one remember the classic interview with Liz Hurley at Monaco a few years back I think it went something like:-

Liz: I'm going to the front to watch the launch or what ever they call it

Martin: (Slightly bermused) Well they call it the start actually

I was in awe of Ms Hurley's vast data bank of Knowledge
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:29 (Ref:634842)   #16
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LOL

I remember cringing when one of our politicians (John Prescott I think it was) was asked by MB who he supported and he replied with "Oh, it's got to be our DamIEn hasn't it!"

Really resent some of these people having the privelege to get that amount of access despite the fact that most of them know nothing and care even less. Grrrrr!!!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 08:23 (Ref:635271)   #17
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hungary where does you name comes from?? I like it though :-))).
Old 18 Jun 2003, 10:11 (Ref:635350)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
it was a bit of variety to see Ozzy Osbourne on the grid!!

Unless there's some big story, the only answers Martin Brundle gets from drivers or team members are very vague because there all so secretive now...
Old 18 Jun 2003, 10:22 (Ref:635359)   #19
DanFlag
Veteran

Canada
Montréal, Québec, Canada
DanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDanFlag should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OZZZZZZZZZYYYY!!!!!!